Please Help An Old(ish) Guy Decide Course Of Action

JReinhal

Reaction score
Hello,
At almost 41, Ive decided I want to look into some sort of hair transplant procedure. Ive always had a high forehead, but, as you can see from the photos, Ive lost quite a bit around the "peaks" over the years. My hairline was much more straight across when I was in my 20s. Ive tried Rogaine only (I do not want Finasteride) and had very mediocre results.
With that said, Im a bit overwhelmed between choosing FUE of FUT. I would really appreciate some feedback as to which would be the better option based on the photos Ive attached.
Thank you all in advance!
Untitled 3.png

Untitled 2.png

Untitled.png

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hello,
At almost 41, Ive decided I want to look into some sort of hair transplant procedure. Ive always had a high forehead, but, as you can see from the photos, Ive lost quite a bit around the "peaks" over the years. My hairline was much more straight across when I was in my 20s. Ive tried Rogaine only (I do not want Finasteride) and had very mediocre results.
With that said, Im a bit overwhelmed between choosing FUE of FUT. I would really appreciate some feedback as to which would be the better option based on the photos Ive attached.
View attachment 74357
View attachment 74358
View attachment 74359
Your hair still looks great for your age. You are lucky to have virtually no gray hair. If you are single and not in a relationship I can understand why you are here. But if you are happily married, I am curious to why this is bothering you now. I think if you are not willing to take finasteride than I think your situation is going to be much more challenging to help. I would chose FUE in your situation but I can tell you without finasteride, you could have greater loss even at your age now. I have seen some men your age have significant loss in their 40's. However, with finasteride it might be less likely. Just make sure you chose from some of the best FUE doctors in the world.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,
At almost 41.
View attachment 74357
View attachment 74358
View attachment 74359

I f*****g HATE YOU. You're not EVEN THAT MUCH YOUNGER THAN ME!

This is what I'm gonna do to you, because you are so damn obnoxious.

Pay attention, you're the full head in this video. You only posted one thread, and
yet everybody HATES you. What does that tell you? You don't belong
on a hairloss blog. Pathetic.

Last edited:

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@JReinhal

Seriously, why are you getting a hair transplant? You have a great hairline, especially
for someone your age.

Don't take this the wrong way, you need psychiatric help. Go see a shrink.

JReinhal

Reaction score
Your hair still looks great for your age. You are lucky to have virtually no gray hair. If you are single and not in a relationship I can understand why you are here. But if you are happily married, I am curious to why this is bothering you now. I think if you are not willing to take finasteride than I think your situation is going to be much more challenging to help. I would chose FUE in your situation but I can tell you without finasteride, you could have greater loss even at your age now. I have seen some men your age have significant loss in their 40's. However, with finasteride it might be less likely. Just make sure you chose from some of the best FUE doctors in the world.
Thank you for your response. It sounds as though FUE could be an option, but without finasteride my risk of losing non-FUE hair would remain. Regarding doctors, I live in the Florida Panhandle and have access to FUE doctors in Pensacola, Destin, and Tallahassee. How would I vet doctors local to these areas (regarding your statement "...make sure you chose from some of the best FUE doctors in the world).

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. It sounds as though FUE could be an option, but without finasteride my risk of losing non-FUE hair would remain. Regarding doctors, I live in the Florida Panhandle and have access to FUE doctors in Pensacola, Destin, and Tallahassee. How would I vet doctors local to these areas (regarding your statement "...make sure you chose from some of the best FUE doctors in the world).
I live in Florida too and we have no top notch FUE doctors in this state so you will have to look out of state or out of the USA if you want a great FUE doctor. I have consulted with Rahal, Erdogan, Lupanzula, and ********.

JReinhal

Reaction score
I live in Florida too and we have no top notch FUE doctors in this state so you will have to look out of state or out of the USA if you want a great FUE doctor. I have consulted with Rahal, Erdogan, Lupanzula, and ********.
Oh my goodness! I had no idea it was so difficult to find a good FUE doctor. That slightly diminishes my hopes. What source should I use that would rank the quality of FUE doctors within the U.S.?
Also, thank you for your input. I very much appreciate it.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Oh my goodness! I had no idea it was so difficult to find a good FUE doctor. That slightly diminishes my hopes. What source should I use that would rank the quality of FUE doctors within the U.S.?
Also, thank you for your input. I very much appreciate it.
Konior and Shapiro Medical are the only ones I would consider in the USA.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@JReinhal

Actually, you definitely do have recession going on.

Maybe I'm the one who needs a shrink?

Your hairline is even though, it is better than mine. As far as I can tell, it's not
triangular.

I wouldn't get more than an inch though, if I were you. Guys our age, as far
as full heads, there probably like ten percent.

Last edited:

curiousone

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair actually looks really good. Especially for someone your age. I can see some hair recession but its kind of hard to tell from your photos and your hair is so short it makes it harder to see. You also have bugger all grey hairs in your hair and beard. I am 37 with a minor amount of recession and have more grey hairs than you do. My beard hair went almost completely grey about 2 years ago so I regularly shave every day and now my head hair is starting to develop greys. The emergence of grey hairs in the last year are whats making me now think about a transplant, if I am going grey I want to at least have grey hair with an awesome tight hairline!

I cant give you advice on your specific question but do wonder whether surgery is worth it for you given your hair is in good shape.

Last edited:

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a friend, just had lunch with him yesterday, he has your exact hair pattern, except he has much longer. No bald spot on back and I assume you do not either. It's envious as is yours. My friend just turned 70. I suspect you will have that hair the same for a long time. At your age, with that hair, social impediment is nonexistent. You are the envy of many 20 somethings with that. So why bother? A more complimentary hair style is all you need. Save the money for a new Porsche.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem you have is progression! If you get a transplant to enhance your forehead line and then you lose your mid-scalp or crown area then you will look a lot worse as eventually you will be left with only the transplanted hair. Even if you are on finasteride & minoxidil you will still lose hair over time, it can only slow the process not stop it. I would save any donor areas you have until you really need it. At the moment your hair looks great and quiet a few of us on here would love to have that amount of hair.

If you do pursue a transplant then you should have a FUT first then possibly further FUE procedures. Most people who go down the transplant route will have to have 2-3 transplants before they are happy enough with their look. So be prepared to go through a lot of discomfort and a lot of cash min £15k.

JReinhal

Reaction score
Thank you all very, very much for your feedback. I am gathering that there is a general consensus that I would not benefit very much from a transplant at this time? In the sense that there may be progression of the hair-loss between 40-50 years old, which would require multiple revisits to the doctor?
I suppose the other option is to wait with the hair I have now until one of the upcoming medical hair restoration breakthroughs come to fruition.

PhilHemingway

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,
View attachment 74357
View attachment 74358
View attachment 74359

Hi mate,
tbh like the others have said you look good for your age and have good hair. My hair was in much worse state than yours and my donor hair area was beginning to thin so it was now or never for me 5months back. I went for British Hair Clinic, based in Shenfield essex. Dr Shuja was the surgeon. He was great, reassurring and gave me the exact treatment I needed. I went for an FUE procedure, they gave me nearly 3000 grafts. I paid for 2800 and they promised me in the consultation that they would take out maximum they could without leaving my donor area sparse. The honesty and straight forwardness convinced me.

Nobody badgered me to buy anything additional that I didnt want to or need. I had that massive Mickey Mouse hair line - looked awful mate. Knocked my confidence back a lot. I would strongly recommend you chat to them. Everyone does free consultations nowadays. I live in essex so i chose their Essex clinic instead of Harley St or Manchester. All the best to you mate.