10 months of Proscar and minoxidil, extremely happy & worry

Tony_Ng

Reaction score
I am newbie here and sorry if my case were explained.

I've been on using proscar 1.25mg and oral minoxidil 5mg for 10 months. Except some traditional herbs, I never try any kind of hairloss medicine before.

Differed from many cases read from this forum, things were immediately amazing to me for the first 7 months. No mega shedding, hairloss slow down - hairloss stopped - hairs grow. Please see the pics underneath.

Before taking meds in July 2005,
tony_top_july2005.jpg

5 months using Proscar and Minoxidil in Dec 2005
tony_top_Dec2005.jpg

However, two months ago, at the end of Mar 2006, I realized an abnormal shedding and reached the top of shedding of 50-70 hair lost after shower only. Now, in May, things seem to better with 20-30 hair lost after shower but I still see the noticeable thinning over my head. I am afraid that I will return to the status of July 2005 soon

My questions are:
1. If Proscar and Minoxidil did worked well to me ( as you can see my Dec photo ), it's still effective to me and the shedding is just temporary. Thus, I should take Proscar and Minoxidil for several months before thinking of other medicines.

2. According to your experience, Is it a kind of "temporary" shedding influenced by medicine ??? and if yes, how long the " temporary " shedding usually happened

3. I know both Proscar and Propecia has finasteride as it's active ingredient. So why my Doctor advises me switch from Proscar to Propecia ( He recommended me proscar firstly ).

Thanks for reading and your ideas are highly welcomed

Goingat20

Reaction score
Re: 10 months of Proscar and minoxidil, extremely happy & wo

Tony_Ng said:

I've been on using proscar 1.25mg and oral minoxidil 5mg for 10 months. Except some traditional herbs, I never try any kind of hairloss medicine before.

Differed from many cases read from this forum, things were immediately amazing to me for the first 7 months. No mega shedding, hairloss slow down - hairloss stopped - hairs grow. Please see the pics underneath.

tony_top_july2005.jpg

tony_top_Dec2005.jpg

However, two months ago, at the end of Mar 2006, I realized an abnormal shedding and reached the top of shedding of 50-70 hair lost after shower only. Now, in May, things seem to better with 20-30 hair lost after shower but I still see the noticeable thinning over my head. I am afraid that I will return to the status of July 2005 soon

My questions are:
[quote="Tony_Ng":642fc]1. If Proscar and Minoxidil did worked well to me ( as you can see my Dec photo ), it's still effective to me and the shedding is just temporary. Thus, I should take Proscar and Minoxidil for several months before thinking of other medicines.

It certainly has worked for you (congratulations). Yes you continue to take proscar and minoxidil! Dont think about stoppping, or adding anything else besides nizoral shampoo.

Tony_Ng said:
2. According to your experience, Is it a kind of "temporary" shedding influenced by medicine ??? and if yes, how long the " temporary " shedding usually happened
Yes its just temporary, could take a few weeks, everyone different. But dont worry it it temporary

Tony_Ng said:
3. I know both Proscar and Propecia has finasteride as it's active ingredient. So why my Doctor advises me switch from Proscar to Propecia ( He recommended me proscar firstly ).
[/quote:642fc]

Stick to proscar, your Doctor just wants you to spend more money. Its the same thing!!

Felk

Reaction score
Stick with them!

Most posters here would kill for results like that, and yes, the shedding is only temporary.

Also, most authorities on hair loss say that counting the hairs you shed is no indicater of how your treatment is going. What is an indicator however, is photos. And from your photos it is obvious that your treatment is going very well :)

G

ORAL minoxidil? are u crazy!!!!!!
I hope you write wrong yeah? U mean topical minoxidil?? :freaked2:

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

tony_top_july2005.jpg

tony_top_Dec2005.jpg

My questions are:
1. If Proscar and Minoxidil did worked well to me ( as you can see my Dec photo ), it's still effective to me and the shedding is just temporary. Thus, I should take Proscar and Minoxidil for several months before thinking of other medicines.

Thanks for reading and your ideas are highly welcomed

Hey buddy,
Did it ever improve? Wishing you all the best.