11 month, 21 day UPDATE

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, since I will be on travel, I decided to post my first ever update a few days early.

I have been on minoxidil since Sept 2003. I have used it religiously twice a day, with the expection of May, where I did not use it about three weeks due to travel. The break did not appear to matter.

I am in my early 30s, and started losing around 26. I began shaving my head about three years ago, therefore, most people would have no idea what "improvement" is for me. I have fine blond hair, with moderate diffuse thinning and some recession. I have the typical "bald spot" on the top/back, although it is still covered with fine blond hairs. I guess I am a N2 or so. Seems to have been the same every time I let it grow some, I noticed it settled in, to its current state about three years ago.

Because my entire head is still covered with hair, I believed that I would have a high likelihood of positive response. It appears I was correct.

Since mid July, I have been using .25 to 1 mg of finasteride (From Cipla) (mainly .25 or .50). I have let my hair grow out for about two weeks, and it is about the length of a shaved head with a number 1 guard.

From the profile, front, and back, it is OBVIOUS my hair has thickened and is coming back. The addition of finasteride (and nizoral last month too, M-W-F) seems to have pushed me over the cosmetic edge. I am actually NOT going to shave it (razor) for the first time in a long time. I am going to let it grow and simply keep it buzzed short.

I am not currently in a relationship, but I can say that my drive is lower, but not that much lower. I work out vigorously, and have maintained the same level of muscularity, if anything gotten a bit bigger more recently. I have no gyno, or anything else. Although I have only been on finasteride for about 45 days though too. I am going to be patient and let any sexual side effects PASS before freaking out. I also believe finasteride has effected my mood (give less a sh*t about things), and made me slightly more "chilled" but not necessarily less aggressive. I actually don't mind it. I'm kinda ADD and it seems to have helped. There might be a link with DHT and aggression and ADD, I don't know, its only speculative.

I believe the combination of the big three is what does it. minoxidil kept the hairs alive, but they were still swimming in DHT....at this point, I expect perhaps a full cosmetic recovery in six more months (at least to "mature" hairline/head of hair).

The regimen is NOT a pain. I simply take a quarter pill of finasteride (yes, of the 1 mg which I cut into 4ths with a pill box cutter) and put some minoxidil (generic only) on in the morning, and then some more when I get home.

Now that I have let it grow out some , and will be returning to work (people who know me) next week, I predict the comments will not be that my hair looks thicker but "why did you ever shave your head to begin with?"

I will keep you posted. I probably did this backwards...one should probably start with finasteride and THEN add minoxidil, etc. I'm lucky I'm not too far gone already. I believe being on minoxidil and then kicking in finasteride, allowed the hair to finally come through as it should, stronger and thicker than minoxidil can provide alone. I need to take pics, and hope to in order to document the coming year.

Reaction score
Yes!!!! Another post that gives me hope. Congrats!! I hope you reach your goals. Keep us posted.

kamui

Established Member
Reaction score
Good to hear the success...I'm also taking .25mcg of finasteride for about two weeks now.

Resultsnottypical

Established Member
Reaction score
pics

I don't have a digital camera, so while I can take photos of myself, not sure if they will turn out crooked, or in bad lighting. No way to instantly check.

I sent an email earlier to HairLossTalk.com saying I wanted to participate in a sponsored photo shoot for the update/biographical area.

I think my case is going to be good, obvious proof, similar to Martin's that the big three can work. It will be especially interesting if I do it at a lower dose.

I have reordered finpecia AND merck brand propecia. My regimen is going to be this once it arrives:

.5 mg merck propecia Monday thru Friday.
1 mg finpecia Sat and Sunday
nizoral : M, W and F
minoxidil (always use generic) every day 2x

I weigh 175 pounds and I believe you can do this, if you are a recent male pattern baldness (last five years) on a lowered dose.

So far I have been taking .25 to 5 and sometimes a whole 1mg, but for scientific purposes and in order to know what can work for me and for others, I should at least have a system if I am going to do that. The above regimen will save me money. Next time around ordering, I probably will just order Merck brand, to be SURE I am getting the real stuff (although it seems like finpecia is doing the trick).

I have never really used anything BUT generic minoxidil. Never found a big difference, I never had itchiness, or flaking, etc...so, for 15 bucks a bottle or whatever, at Target, its worth it.

Deaner

Reaction score
Doesn't changing dose mess with your hormone levels? I mean, if you're always changing the amount of medication you feed your body, how's it ever gonna adjust?