14days withou minoxidil and finasteride???

umab

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I had been 14days without finasteride and minoxidil. Will it have some bad effect on my hairloss?? What do you guys think.

Thank you for answers.

Led

hoping

Established Member
Reaction score
i stopped minoxidil for 6 weeks and no shed. i did this to take a break from it.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
probaly not the best idea...

extremekicks

Established Member
Reaction score
Im going on 2 weeks off finasteride , I wanted to take a break... been on it 13 months maybe missed 3x where i was off for 3 days at most.

I will start back tomorrow on the finasteride though. Havent noticed anything ( shedding ). Im gonna go on a minoxidil break In Feb for about 2 weeks also.

Im big into bodybuilding and you have to cycle to give your body a break and I beleive the same for your hair regime. This topic has been brought up by me and others as well.

Cassin

Reaction score
extremekicks said:
Im big into bodybuilding and you have to cycle to give your body a break and I beleive the same for your hair regime. This topic has been brought up by me and others as well.

Could you go into more detail about this?

umab

Established Member
Reaction score
I decide to stop big 3 two weeks ago after 1,5 year of taking it for I am not 100% satisfied with the results. I definitely have got more hair than before threatmnet but it is not 100% cosmetically accetable.

Today I decided to take one more chance and started to take big 3 again as even if I shave my head with macht 3 the male pattern baldness pattern is pretty noticable on my head.

I will give it a try for lets say another 3 or 4 months. I do not know what will I do in case the desired results will not come. Maybe I will tattoo my head to cover the pattern:)

Led

extremekicks

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin,

I cycle my bodybuilding supplements when Im doing some serious training. I know hair is a completely differnt situation. I just feel a break from any supplementation / prescriptions can be a good thing. Just like your diet...eat the same thing( daily routine ) and your body adjusts and doesnt make any gains. I would have to think this type of philosphy would also be in effect with Propecia , however I have not done any studies or conducted any trials to this. I think your body deserves a lil break once in awhile hence fasting and some cleansing / detox rituals. I dunno could be wasting my time but I tell you this people think I look 23-26 when Im 36. Not to mention my hair regime / lifestyle has dramatically put alot of hair on my head. I have to get pics up...maybe tonight Ill scan them up so ya all can see. i had the serious Phil colins AKA pizza slice going and now its gone....something of the past.

Cassin

Reaction score
extremekicks said:
.....I think your body deserves a lil break once in awhile ....

First off I think this is a bad idea for newbies! Horrible for people just starting out! I just want to make that clear. :)

BUT the occasional break from Minoxidil, Nizoral, etc might very well be a good idea once you have been on treatments for awhile, at least a year! Just to give the skin some time to repair and heal a bit from the harsh chemicals found in topicals. Namely alcohol and PPG.

Nizoral and the like also have quite a drying effect on the scalp.

I am thinking about a little break one day every month, for all of the above reasons I mentioned, which is why your post grabbed my interest.

Although I have doubts taking a break from FINASTERIDE would have any benefit, the rest sounds like a interesting idea if done with discipline and in an organized way. I am very strict about my regimen and it is perfectly integrated into my daily routine so well, I do not find it cumbersome anymore.

I point this out because I think it may be easy to become lazy and thereby stopping future results and you may begin going backwards in results. So enough of my soapbox,:), I think I will do this and keep a calendar note of my rare skipped days.

However, I think skipping minoxidil for such a long amount of time is not a good idea. 2 weeks is way to long.

umab

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin, you are right. I hope that this 14days break will not make my situation worster as I have been taking it for 1,5 year.

Led

hoping

Established Member
Reaction score
thats why i took a 6 week break off minoxidil. been on it for 1.8 years

Cassin

Reaction score
hoping said:
thats why i took a 6 week break off minoxidil. been on it for 1.8 years

Much too long.

An occasional day is fine, even http://www.rogaine.com says so..but anything more is not a good idea.

Discipline with treatments nets the best results. There is no way around it.

I think many people want a break simply because Minoxidil is such a greasy mess. If so then shell out a few more dollars and hop on Dr Lees stuff.

hoping

Established Member
Reaction score
i took a break because after 11 months of GREAT AWESOME regrowth month 12-14 was a great shed downfall lost everything i grew plus way more. month 13 till 15 i added minoxidil 15 and spironolactone 2%. month 15 -18 dropped spirot 2% added fincar stayed iwth 15%. no gains kept on losing so after reading decent amount of post on people losing hair after some time on minoxidil and taking a month break from it and went back on teh results came back on. thats why i decided to do the huge break. some guy on here or another forums takes a one month break every year with great results

Petchsky

Reaction score
When i first got thrown on the crazy ride that is hairloss i went to this small obscure clinic in a small town to assess whether i did indeed have male pattern baldness.... anyway the women who ran it was in her 70s and been running her company for 35 years. She loved minoxidil and prescibed me a 3% solution.

She told me that she had patients who had been on minoxidil for 20 years, anyway the reason i mention this is she told me that after over a years use it is okay to occasionally skip applications if you have been successful using it.

P.S i never went back though as she was against propecia.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Against Propecia?!? 3% Minoxidil!?! You have got to be kidding me.

If you're gonna make an omlette, you gotta break a few eggs!