17 year old with somewhat of a receding hairline...

balla45

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm 17 and going to be a senior next year in high school. I have been told for awhile that I have a receding hairline, and I've noticed that I do. However, my hair grows back fine (knock on wood) after every haircut and I can grow a lot of hair. However, I've always had very fine hair. I haven't cut my hair since around mid-May and have been trying to grow it out. I actually got a lot taken off during that last haircut (4 clippers on the sides, 8 clippers on the front) and haven't cut it since. My hair will only "spike" up in the front when I have it cut short, but when it's short you can noticeably see the receding hairline and my "large" forehead. I have some pictures for you guys, so please let me know what you think. If you could tell me how bad my receding hairline is, possibly suggest what type of haircut or trim I should get in my next haircut (I plan on going in August right before school) that would be great. I really just want it trimmed around my sideburns, etc. as I want to grow my hair out something like this or this.

Oh, and my dad is almost 50 and he doesn't have a receding hairline, his dad doesn't either, but my mom's dad does somewhat have a receding hairline, but he's 80. Just please let me know.

Thanks!

Pics (Quality didn't really turn out that great and I don't know how to re-sizes them):
http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc006511ss.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc006565ud.jpg (Hair is like that to show you hairline lol)
http://img315.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 6571gp.jpg
http://img315.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 6854rl.jpg
http://img328.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 6878ma.jpg

Picture of my right after my last haircut (mid-May) haircut where I cut a lot of it off (I didn't really like my hair that short): http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.j ... 3902113205

I don't know if you guys watch MTV's the Real World, but if you guys go here and click on Danny's Photos I would say that he has a receding hairline or not a lot of hair. Is that correct?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
I don't see a receeding hairline - but maybe I'm just jealous. I think your hair looks just fine.

(Who's the blonde in the Kodak shot?)

G

If you have pictures of yourself from two years back, that would be a pretty good indication of whether or not you've receded. If you have, then it's probably male pattern baldness--if not, then not. Going to a dermatologist, while not always helpful, is something you should do before taking any other steps.

TheBaldingMenace

Established Member
Reaction score
Dang dude! A bad hairline? I think that you'd better take a second look mate! That's not a bad hairline at all! Not in the least! That I can see you've got a very good hairline. I really wouldn't worry about hairloss right now as it doesn't look like you're losing too much mate!

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Just looks like a normal mature hairline. Hairloss more a paranoia than anything else right now in your life. Go out, have fun, and enjoy. If you notice any progression, see ya here soon...

G

sh*t I wish I could be 17 again - try not to worry about the hair - it looks great1 Just enjoy trying to get laid and getting trashed and not feeling the hangover - that doesn;t last.

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
That is not a receding hairline. Receding hairlines invariably begin at each temple, and eventually resemble something of a 'V' shape at the front. Your hairline is high, but you are not receding. Your hair goes straight across your head from temple to temple. Chances are, you've always been like this and are getting paranoid! Remember, having a hairline you are not happy with does not mean you have male pattern baldness.

amrod

Established Member
Reaction score
i dunno man that looks kinda how mine was when i was like 16 and it went seriously downhill fast

balla45

Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
I don't see a receeding hairline - but maybe I'm just jealous. I think your hair looks just fine.

(Who's the blonde in the Kodak shot?)
haha...thanks

She's just a friend. Not too bad though, huh? haha.

balla45

Reaction score
Alopecia-Nate said:
If you have pictures of yourself from two years back, that would be a pretty good indication of whether or not you've receded. If you have, then it's probably male pattern baldness--if not, then not. Going to a dermatologist, while not always helpful, is something you should do before taking any other steps.
I do, but I've always had fine hair and I've never really had it that long. Like I said, it continues to grow, but is still very straight and fine.

I guess I don't have as bad of a hairline as I thought, but it's been so hard for me to grow my bangs that I thought it was due to a receding hairline...I guess I've just got to understand that it may take a LONG time for me to grow out my hair. haha

I guess another reason for my thoughts on me having a receding hairline was due to the fact that when I do "spike" my hair it doesn't really look good because my hairline is farther back than normal and it makes me appear to have a large head. So, I'll just grow out my hair I guess and go from there. I'm just in that stage where my hair is too long and would look silly if I tired to "spike" it up, but the short bangs make it look not very good long.

balla45

Reaction score
TheBaldingMenace said:
Dang dude! A bad hairline? I think that you'd better take a second look mate! That's not a bad hairline at all! Not in the least! That I can see you've got a very good hairline. I really wouldn't worry about hairloss right now as it doesn't look like you're losing too much mate!
Thanks; I really just wanted to make sure and I'm glad that you guys have all replied to my topic. I appreciated it.

balla45

Reaction score
X190 said:
Just looks like a normal mature hairline. Hairloss more a paranoia than anything else right now in your life. Go out, have fun, and enjoy. If you notice any progression, see ya here soon...
Alright, thanks again. I guess I was just paranoid. Thanks for the post.

balla45

Reaction score
jambri said:
That is not a receding hairline. Receding hairlines invariably begin at each temple, and eventually resemble something of a 'V' shape at the front. Your hairline is high, but you are not receding. Your hair goes straight across your head from temple to temple. Chances are, you've always been like this and are getting paranoid! Remember, having a hairline you are not happy with does not mean you have male pattern baldness.
Thanks. The reason I was paranoid was because I have always had a high hairline and obviously I don't like it. I thought having a high hairline meant that I might be receding. Hopefully I won't have receding hair in the future.

See that's the reason why my hair doesn't look good when I spike it up(unless I cut a lot of it off). My hairline is very high. Hopefully I can successfully grow out my hair. Out of curisoity, what is the shape of my head? I've seen each head shape, but I'm not sure which one I fit. Maybe rectangle.

arjun17

Reaction score
pics not good enough to tell properly....

Why don't you get a few left and right side photos with the camera taking photos of the sides of your hairline with your hair pulled back (with your hand, glasses, anything) Recession almost always begins at the sides, long before the middle is affected.
Cheers,
Arjun

phantom2x

Established Member
Reaction score
dude your hair really looks great,stop thinking about it. just have fun with that friend . :lol:

IceZ

Reaction score
balla45 said:
I just don't know if I can get it to grow out like:
http://www.thewb.com/THEWB/Images/Dynam ... x3_240.jpg

Dude, who cares about that style. That style has queer written all over it.

Your 17, going to College soon, I say stick with the short hair pic. It suits you. It looks more like an athlete cut. This is just my opinion.

The guy in that pice has thicker hair then you do, so, your results may not be the same.

Stick with the short hair and tell chicks your a starting QB for your school. You;l be scoring touchdowns in a matter of no time.

balla45

Reaction score
IceZ said:
balla45 said:
I just don't know if I can get it to grow out like:
http://www.thewb.com/THEWB/Images/Dynam ... x3_240.jpg

Dude, who cares about that style. That style has queer written all over it.

Your 17, going to College soon, I say stick with the short hair pic. It suits you. It looks more like an athlete cut. This is just my opinion.

The guy in that pice has thicker hair then you do, so, your results may not be the same.

Stick with the short hair and tell chicks your a starting QB for your school. You;l be scoring touchdowns in a matter of no time.
Are you talking about this picture? http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.j ... 3902113205