19 Year Old Male. Possible Telogen Effluvium

tonysmith97

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi
I am 19 years old and have lost around 50% of hair on the top of my head in the past 10 months. It has started to become noticeable at the front. I don't have male pattern baldness and confirmed with my GP as my hairline has not receded or followed the norwood scale. From August 2015 to April 2016 I lost around 12 kg (going from 82 to 66). During this time I didn't eat a lot so I'm guessing that there was Iron, Vitamin and Protein deficiencies. From around March 2016 to Jan 2017 I lost about 150-200 hairs a day. I think that it is telogen effluvium. The shedding has now stopped but I cannot see any regrowth yet as recently I lost a lot of very fine hairs around 0.5-1 inch in length. I keep getting dandruff as well so could this stop any regrowth? My scalp has become very itchy due to the dandruff. Currently I take biotin every day. So my questions are: Will I ever grow back the hair I lost? Dandruff stopping regrowth? If it will regrow how long can it take?
Thanks

MrPortugal

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are just lost your hair on the top of head, sides and back are fine?
Put a few pics.

shookwun

Reaction score
genetic related hair loss.

Nothing to do with your eating habit

hope this helps

GP might be a moron, seek another opinion

shookwun

Reaction score
doesn't need to follow the norwood scale. that is a classic formation of hair loss known as male pattern baldness.

there are many variants, and un-patterned types of hair loss

tonysmith97

My Regimen
Reaction score
No hair loss on sides and back. If it is genetic then why has it now followed the norwood scale. Here are some pics:
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (4).jpg
FullSizeRender (5).jpg
FullSizeRender (6).jpg

Thanks

shookwun

Reaction score
did you not read what I said, there are many types of hair loss opposed to the classic male pattern baldness (norwood). A lot of people experience a variation of diffuse, and male pattern baldness (norwood)

Andrgenic alopecia
Alopecia areta
traction alopecia
retrograde alopecia
DUPA ( diffuse unpattern alopecia)

you most likely have DUPA, which would explain your patchy diffuse hair loss on top.

MomoGee

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're a diffuse thinner like me, which means you will have a perfect hairline without recession but the density will be going to sh*t before you know it.

shookwun

Reaction score
You're a diffuse thinner like me, which means you will have a perfect hairline without recession but the density will be going to sh*t before you know it.
in other words, doomed.

tonysmith97

My Regimen
Reaction score

I have stopped losing hair now for the past month (Only lose around 10-15 hairs a day max). Would there be any chance of regrowth?

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
small fine hairs=miniaturised hairs getting decimated by DHT going through continually shortened growth cycles. If you want to stop hairloss you are going to need finasteride more than likely to supress DHT.

MomoGee

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have stopped losing hair now for the past month (Only lose around 10-15 hairs a day max). Would there be any chance of regrowth?
I haven't heard of any diffuse thinner suddenly regrowing hair without treatment.

If you are looking for a bit of hope, I have a cousin who is a diffuse thinner and started losign hair in his early 20s but he lost hair at such a slow rate that his scalp was only visible at the age of 36.

Marcoco

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you regrow this hair as although i have male pattern baldness (only receding hairline) the dermatologist i saw said this could be the case as I experienced a lot of shedding between october and december last year and have a very thin patch on top right of my head but density is fine everwhere else