1st time sugery! What if I do this...

brianb

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Its nice to be a member here!
Im thinning out at the top of my head and I have never ever taken any topicals, medication in my life. Im 35 and I know you should start early as possible with treatments, but Im afraid of side effects etc.

This is my question, if I simpy did a FUE hair transplant treatment and just simply let the transplanted hair grow in and did NOT take anything topicals, medication etc. even after the transplant, what would happen? Wouldnt that transplanted hair be permanent and have no reason to take meds?
If possible, Id rather do the surgery and then let it play out naturally

What would the after effects be of a surgery like that?

Thanks!!

Rutt

Established Member
Reaction score
It would help a great deal if we could see some pictures. you can block out your face, but it's pretty much impossible to tell you anything without seeing what your current stage of hairloss is.

Most doctors will be very insistent you stay on finasteride, unless you have reached your "final" balding pattern or something very close

brianb

Reaction score
I think Im between a N2-N3
Temples are recing slowing mind you and thining on the top/back

So i he sugessted to go on finasteride but didnt after the surgery. What would happen?
Id like to do a surgery and take no meds whatsoever

I know its not the norm. Wouldnt the transplanted hair hold up?

DirkNowitzki

Reaction score
The transplanted hair would hold up, but its not the transplanted hair that you have to worry about. Its losing the hair around the transplanted hair that would be your main concern.

If you can't stabilize your hair loss to some degree, you'll end up with patches or islands of transplanted hair surrounded by bald areas. The only remedy would be having more surgeries down the road.

It cannot hurt to try finasteride. Not everyone experiences negative side effects. You can always discontinue if you encounter any issues.

brianb

Reaction score
So is topical finasteride as effective as taken finasteride orally??
Any particular brand that is popular??