2 weeks into finasteride... biggest hairfall yet?

MakeItStop

Reaction score
hi there, been on finasteride .5mg a day for about 2 weeks.

I never really noticed large amounts of hair loss in the shower or anywhere else, the problem I've been having is that my hair just wouldn't grow back. Right now my hair is just waterfalling out of my head, I have never seen so much hair falling out before. I'm guessing I lost about... 400 hairs today? I was picking hairs off of my hands for 15 minutes in the shower. Gah!

There's about 50 on my desk, and 20 on the floor. Seriously. There is a pile of hair next to me that wasn't here before I sat down.

This sucks. :(

I've been quite aware of my balding situation for a while now, and this is the first time I've seen piles of hair sitting next to me. Jesus! Look at the size of that thing!

Is the shedding unrelated? Is this an adverse reaction? Isn't it supposed to take many months before any sort of differences, adverse or otherwise, would be noticed? Is my male pattern baldness just kicking into a higher gear, coincidence that it's occurring with the start of finasteride?

It is it possible it's the pony tail? I started wearing one because my long hair is just horrible now... I get some pinching on the top of my head when I wear it. My scalp itches like crazy, like I got fire ants up there... it burns! Think that might have something to do with the finasteride? Don't fail me now, Nizoral! Going to get my hair cut short I guess... I'm going to miss you, hair... we had some good times. Can't you stay just a little while longer. Really, you should stay, it's no problem, I got plenty of space. I've always conditioned... twice! I use the good stuff! We make a good team together. Please? :broken:

Too young for this! :dunno:

sammo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, im young too, 21

hang in there, I've been through very intense shedding times.... just gotta hope it blows over, don't stress thats the worst thing u can do.... it probably is your body just reacting to the finasteride, but also could be that you were very stressed up until the point of starting finasteride also, so just chill and give finasteride time. the itchiness always sucks, but depending on the shampoo etc / trying not to concentrate on it.

forget the pony tail thing lol, but yeah i reckon that would contribute to itchiness personally.

Sammo

StrangeKarma

Established Member
Reaction score
My first shedding started about 3 weeks in from finasteride. If it is a related finasteride shed, you may respond amazingly well. The shed is the hardest part of dealing with treatment, I just went through another one after my hair was looking amazing, and it thinned out quite a bit, but now is on its way back already!! Hang in there my friend. (I was 17 when my temples started to go, so I understand the being too young thing).