2 yrs Propecia user .. how to lessen side effects

porad

Reaction score
Hi.. I've been on Propecia for a hair over 2 years.. I've seen good maintenence and some growth, but I've also seen some bad things. It took a long time for me to put 2 and 2 together, but I believe the increased oiliness of my face, number and severity of acne breakouts, and presence of acne on my chest/back all started/worsened slightly after I began taking Propecia. I mean I had the occassional pimple, but not the number or frequency that I get them in now. And I never had a problem with oil, but nowadays if I don't take a kleenex to my face every 2 hrs you can see your f'n reflection!
I started taking the drug at 20, and I'm 22 now. I obviously don't want to lose all that I've gained so far.. but what can I do??? Acctutane is NOT an option.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
get prescribed minocin - antibiotics for acne. also, use 10% benzoyl peroxide cream daily on the acne affected areas. the antibiotics can take a month or 2, even a few months to kick in. the cream youll see results from after a few days. it doesnt have the side effects of accutance or anything and is available over the counter. has improved my acne situation tenfold. no regrets.

porad

Reaction score
youngguy_uk said:
get prescribed minocin - antibiotics for acne. also, use 10% benzoyl peroxide cream daily on the acne affected areas. the antibiotics can take a month or 2, even a few months to kick in. the cream youll see results from after a few days. it doesnt have the side effects of accutance or anything and is available over the counter. has improved my acne situation tenfold. no regrets.

I've been using benzoyl peroxide cream for close to 7 yrs.. It used to do the trick and keep me clear.. not anymore. I've also tried every antibiotic under the sun.

I think I may cut back to popping a pill every other day.. Anyone successfully lessen side effects by doing this?

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
:roll:

for gods sake, when will people listen!!

popping a pill every other day will NOT do you any good. this means your hormone levels are constantly changing..not good for your body. youll probably end up with worse side effects that go up and down like a seesaw.

if you are really concerned, use a lower dose, but make it a constant dose - the same every day.

and whats putting you off accutane? could sort out your problem for life. also, what strength benzoyl peroxide cream are you using? maybe switch brands or use a higher strength. be strict with your applications, and use it every day after a shower because its efficacy is increased by far then. apply liberally. you should be ok......if not, accutane...im sure if you stop/cut your finasteride, you wont be very happy if your hair starts falling out again and worsens. remember, hair is hard to get back, hang on to as much of it as you can - explore every option before getting off finasteride. just my 2 cents.

Deaner

Reaction score
I still don't get how you can expect that lowering the dose produces the same results for your hair, but different results for side effects. Guys, does this even make sense? Your hair's response to the drug is a result of the lessened DHT, as are your side effects. If 0.5, 0.3, 0.whatever mg of the sh*t is still within 5% as effective as a full 1mg dose, then what're you really doing?

absmon

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you use nizarol in your regimen? If not, then get on it. If you already use it then increase the usage. Nizarol is a great way of reducing sebum production. Sebum production is tied to hair follicles, so if you reduce oil production in the scalp it will also reduce in the T-zone (face) area.

porad

Reaction score
hmmm... at this point, im seriously contemplating dropping propecia for awhile. I can't be certain exactly what it's done for me as I never took before/after photos and I look in the mirror everyday and just get used to what I see.

If I am to drop it for a length of time.. would it be any less effective the second time around? It would also kind of suck to shed hair it turns out it was preserving but honestly, I'm sick of this oil and acne. Accutane is not an option for me as I've more than done my homework and although most people turn out great, the path to clear or temporarily clear skin is anything but easy (read: months of horrible breakouts before clear skin).

So I guess my question is, if I stop propecia for a month or so.. would it be any less effective the second time around? I realize I would be taking steps backward..

edit: yes, I've been using nizoral 3/4 times a week for 2 years.

Whoome?

Established Member
Reaction score
for gods sake, when will people listen!!
popping a pill every other day will NOT do you any good. this means your hormone levels are constantly changing..not good for your body. youll probably end up with worse side effects that go up and down like a seesaw.

So if that was the case, wouldn't that mean those of us who are cutting proscars unevenly are suffering hormone fluxations also? and may be effecting the results?