21, Derm diagnosed as male pattern baldness, But said NO to finasteride.

jorgedudicoff

Reaction score
Hey there guys, I've posted here before way back when I first started recording my hairloss.

Here are pictures from 3 time periods over these past months.

I recently went to a Derm after many months of waiting and was diagnosed with male pattern baldness.
BUT the Dermatologist said I am NOT a candidate for Finasteride.
His main argument was that it would look weird to have a young hairline when I get older, and people would look like monkeys. (With the immature hairline)

He said to come back when the hairline worsens (he showed me a picture of nw2).

What do you guys think about this? Am I really too early to jump the gun and use finasteride? Should I see another Derm? Are his arguments even relevant?

He said that you should start early with this kind of treatment, but not this early.
IMG_2526.jpgIMG_2522.jpgIMG_2521.jpgIMG_2560.jpgIMG_2557.jpgIMG_2611.jpgIMG_2610.jpgIMG_2602.jpg

The first few are back in May, then in August, and finally November.

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow that dermatologist said some ridiculous stuff! I personally think you should see another doctor. The earlier you catch it the better off you will be (hair wise at least).

jorgedudicoff

Reaction score
Thanks for responding, yeah I thought his arguments seemed a little off. I am thinking of just going to walk-in clinics with the hopes that somebody will give me a prescription. Waiting for another Derm will take minimum 2-3months.

Bad

Established Member
Reaction score
Im not sure you have male pattern baldness... How did he diagnosed it?

If you do have male pattern baldness you should get on finasteride. But im not sure you do and your doctor doesn't sound really reliable.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
If you have been diagnosed with male pattern baldness, then you should be able to get a prescription for finasteride. The fact that the derm used his opinion on what people should look like as a reason for not prescribing you finasteride shows he is a nut case. If possible I would go see somebody else. Call and ask if the doctor prescribes finasteride before you make an appointment.

Your hair looks pretty good BTW, nothing wrong with trying to keep it that way.

jorgedudicoff

Reaction score
Thanks for the support guys. Although it is nice to hear that it doesn't even look like I have male pattern baldness, I myself have clearly noticed it and really want to take action.
I am tired of feeling anxiety about it receding further and regretting not starting sooner.

Do you think I shoulder tell doctors that I was diagnosed with male pattern baldness? Or let them make a call.
If i say I was, and that the Derm didn't want to prescribe won't it deter them from giving it to me as well?

mckenzie

Reaction score
Is it ever to early to start finasteride? I mean why wait until it's too noticeable, because then you will be playing catchup.

I am 22 and my Dr had no issue at all with giving it to me. Your hair doesn't look bad at all. It looks like the early stages of it though so I would definitely not listen to just what one person said. If you are keen to go on it see another professional about it.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Do you think I shoulder tell doctors that I was diagnosed with male pattern baldness? Or let them make a call.
If i say I was, and that the Derm didn't want to prescribe won't it deter them from giving it to me as well?

I would tell the new Doctor that you were diagnosed with male pattern baldness, then without trashing the other Doctor say why he refused to give you a script for finasteride. Just say you want to do something about it before it gets worse and noticeable.

jorgedudicoff

Reaction score
I have really got to say thanks again, the support has been phenomenal. I was really feeling down about the whole thing, I mean it took 3 months for the appointment and I had planned out all the things to say, just to have it turn out like that.
I have scheduled an appointment with my family doctor again, I will update her and ask if she's willing to prescribe it. If that does not work, I will have to visit other doctors.

A question: If she does not know of finasteride as a hairloss treatment, is it still possible for her to prescribe it? Am I allowed to ask her to do some research on it, and make a call?

soccerplr19

Reaction score
i believe most Docs know about finasteride/propecia as a hairloss treatment since t has been around for a while. if the Doctor doesn't know you can def ask her to look into it and see if they'll prescribe it then. Usually Derms are cool about prescribing it, i think you just went to the wrong doctor.

jorgedudicoff

Reaction score
UPDATE: I went back to my family doctor and asked about Finasteride. I told her the DERM diagnosed me as having male pattern baldness and that his argument was a tad irrelevant. She was still against giving it to me. She cited it's side effects and fertility issues for me as a young person as the issue. I tried to explain that the chances for sides was low, and she still did not agree. I understand her opinion on HEALTH > LOOKS, but I still feel like she is not fully researched on the treatment (other than for prostate problems).

So as you may all be able to tell I am frustrated. I literally dream of the day I can be prescribed finasteride. How sad is that. What are your thoughts?
I plan on seeing more doctors, but I am feeling like my hopes are dwindling.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Not sure how it is in canada, but if there is a way to call various doctors before you make an appointment and ask if they prescribe finasteride to treat hair loss, that is what I would do.

skip2mylou

Reaction score
I think, even if the doctor does research, she still won't give it to you.

I had a very similar situation, my derm was extremely hesitant to prescribe me finasteride, said my hair was fine and that I shouldn't go through with it. But she also prescribed me a nizoral shampoo and biotin supplements, and that I should try rogaine for 6 months.

Nizoral , in theory helps. But biotin and rogaine aren't going to do squat. she should know that rogaine won't help if my *confirmed case* of MBP is true. Rogaine does nothing against DHT so it's useless.

Thing is, doctors are scared to prescribe drugs like finasteride that carry side effects. They don't want to get into any trouble or get sued. I used to work as a dental assistant and doctors would hesitate the most when prescribing vicodin, even after pulling out wisdom teeth or w.e. They wouldn't hand out vicodin unless it was an absolute must

So this doctor doesn't seem to be too knowledgeable on hair loss, and once she gets into more detail on the history of finasteride, I think you'll have less of a chance getting it form her.
I hope this helps.

base10

Reaction score
Was in the same situation as you. Derm, GP's they don't usually care about hair loss. Your health is their main priority so I'm not surprised why he or she did not give you a prescription. Especially at your age of 21.

I'm 24 coming on to 25, I've gotten it all "You're too young to be messing with your hormones".
I've had to see 2 Derm's and about 3 GP's before I could find one that was willing to overlook the side effects and sympathize with me.

I would say try to book an appointment with a Hair Transplant doctor. They are usually more understanding.
Good Luck

jorgedudicoff

Reaction score
Thanks for the support once again. Saw another doctor and things turned out the same. The doctors have gotten me to question myself and the need for the treatment. The things you hear about side effects are scary, and the things some doctors are saying do freak me out. This might not be the spot to ask but does anyone have a post or website that heavily discusses the sides, or chances for sides. (I realize some stats are hard to trust, so hoping you guys have a good source). Even long term, I wonder if this treatment will affect my ability to have kids, or other future serious problems. (These are all questions doctors, who i am not sure have very much knowledge on finasteride, have said to me)

Once I am more confident in the evidence and support for Finasteride I will try hard again to get prescribed.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I would say your best source for info would be from the clinical trial or from your doctor. Unfortunately the information on the internet is heavily biased when it comes to finasteride sides. I would say if you are uncomfortable taking finasteride, or are paranoid about getting sides, then you shouldn't take it.

MoHairMoBetta

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're having bad luck to me. I walked into a clinic and basically asked for a Finasteride prescription. They had me get a blood test done first, and once the results were in they had no problems giving me the prescription. In fact, the doctor actually asked me if I'd prefer a prescription for the 5mg variant to save some money.

TransientHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Try a hair transplant surgeon. They are more knowledgeable about MPHL and Finasteride.

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread.