21 Years old, my story. HELP.

Steve

Reaction score
Hi all.
Firstly I'll start by saying that since I first noticed my hairloss (at 16 years old) it has been gradually getting worse and worse.
My father is a NW7 and grandfather on mothers side is only a NW2/3 at 85! so I guess I know which hair genes in inherited.

I started minoxidil around a year ago but only started using it once and day and inconsistently so I have only really be using it twice a day properly for around 8 months.
Finasteride I have been using for 5 and a half months.
Nizoral I have been using for 2 months.

I have experienced no sides whatsoever other than my erections are a bit softer (around 90%). No problems with my libido or anything though.
Ever since starting finasteride I have had a horrible itch and when I run my hands through my hair lots of white flaky skin falls out. I thought Nizoral would help fix this but so far nothing.

I am really indecisive on whether or not my hair has improved at all in the last 6 months, I believe that my crown has thickened up although it wasn't really a problem in the first place, but it seems like my frontal forelock has really thinned out considerably. I don't believe my temples have receded any further however. If anyone could help have a look and tell me their opinions that would be great.

If anybody has any suggestions on what I could do to improve my hair that would be great. I am considering dropping finasteride and jumping onto Dutasteride as my hairloss is quite extreme for my age and I know duta is stronger than finasteride. Do you think that I should do this or wait out at least a year on finasteride and then decide.

Clicking the images opens up a better quality and larger photo, sorry about my camera quality.

START OF TREATMENT:

1 MONTH:

3 MONTHS:

6 MONTHS:

Koseu

Reaction score
Your forelock looks a lot thinner in the beginning than at 6 months in my opinion. You definetely got som gains, and you could potentially gain a little more, but I wouldn't expect you to gain much more than the forelock thickening a bit more.

So it looks like you can stabilise your hair with finasteride and min. I would consider a hair transplant. A conservative approach with 3000-4000 grafts would make you a solid NW2-2.5 for a long time. I would begin saving money!

Steve

Reaction score
Your forelock looks a lot thinner in the beginning than at 6 months in my opinion. You definetely got som gains, and you could potentially gain a little more, but I wouldn't expect you to gain much more than the forelock thickening a bit more.

So it looks like you can stabilise your hair with finasteride and min. I would consider a hair transplant. A conservative approach with 3000-4000 grafts would make you a solid NW2-2.5 for a long time. I would begin saving money!

Thanks for the reply! I don't know if you know about dutasteride, but if you do, would you say I tried that out to possibly get more gains and quicker?
I understand it inhibits DHT more than finasteride does. Should I wait out till i've reached a year on finasteride and then re-evaluate or try duta now?
I actually do have the money already saved for a transplant at the moment. However I am thinking of waiting a bit till I've reached my maximum gains on finasteride/dutasteride first and then I'll get one.