21 yr old going bald

SheddingDog

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 21, and I'd noticed my hair thinning about 6 months ago. At first, I thought I was just being paranoid (I have an anxiety disorder), but as time went on, my scalp became more and more prevalent when I'd look in the mirror.

Finally, after being on of a short road denial that balding was a possibility, especially at my at my age, I went to my dermatologist who said I have an aggressive type of hair-loss. I did some blood work, and everything checked out all right, and she told me it was irreversible, and possibility hereditary.

My heart sank, and my tongue got stuck in my throat. She did an up close examination with this microscope thingy, and told me that I'd already lost over 30% on the top of my head. :(

I wish I'd acted sooner, but now, I know what I have, Apalicia-something... She said to not stress too much because it will only fasten my baldness. But stressing is my nature, so there's no hope in that area...

I got a script for Propecia Propack, but unfortunately, my insurance won't cover it, so I'm scrapping up all of my pennies (I'm jobless, currently), and it will be a while until I'll be able to afford it. $230 per month is far out of my reach right now, and for the rest of my life?! I don't know how I'll ever afford it. Between rent, utilities, school, food, etc.. it's practically impossible.

My Dr. said if I never take medication, I'll be totally bald by the time I'm 24-25 years old. :sobbing:

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
dont panic looks like you still have time

look on these boards for generic propecia, (finasteride)
you can find information on how to buy it in Generic form for around $10 dollars a month IIRC

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
Captain Combover said:
Dude!

$230 per month for Propecia! Is that USA dollars?
You will be able to get it for much less than $15 per month! FACT!
Some of the Yanks on this forum will be able to tell you where to get it from. I get mine from Inhousepharmacy (£6 per month/$9us dollars per month approx).
I think you can even buy it from Walmart over there.

Walmart sells 90 5mg finasteride pills for $24. That's a years supply of 1.25 mg per day finasteride. That's just $2 per month--about a nickel a day.

SheddingDog

Reaction score
Ya, I checked out different pharmacies, including Walmart, and there's no real substantial difference in prices that would make any real difference to my wallet. My dermatologist said that generic forms of Propecia don't work as good, and I want the best results possible... I'm willing to fork over the money for it, now that I've noticed how rapidly my scalp is becoming more apparent. I dread the thought of having to wear hats my entire life, or pull off a Donald Trump comb-over, which actually makes a world of difference in the hiding off my balding, but it's not a hairstyle I fancy to sport. Even when I comb it to the side, my shiny white scalp shines through as a gut-wrenching reminder of what I fear the most.

Yes, I'm talking USD prices...

On another note, my family Dr. (who is bald himself) said that taking Propecia has serious sexual side-effects and can cause prostate problems or even cancer... I don't know if it's worth the risk, but then, I'd thought, "if continue balding at the fast rate of which I am, my sex life won't be that great anyhow, so it'd be worth the risks, even if it means potentially dying for my vanity..." He said to just start using Rogaine, how it's cheaper, safe, and way less detrimental to my finances. He said it works just as good as Propecia, and will only slow it down; that nothing will stop it (even though my dermatologist said otherwise, if I begin using Propecia, my hairloss WILL stop from proceeding) I need advice! Whose telling the truth? I don't know who to believe, or what path to take.... It's driving me insane!

It may sound vain, but personally, I'd rather be dead than continue going bald, or die trying to stop it from continuing. Obviously, it's definitely not doing any good for my mental health. I am my hair! I relate baldness with aging or sickness, and I'm neither of those. I'm not old, and I'm in good health. It feels as if I'm being castrated, but spiritually, and/or emotionally. My masculinity and self-esteem hangs in the wavering balance. I don't know what to do.

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
*sigh* This is why I take everything my doctor says with a pinch of salt. If, instead of educating myself on the internet I had listened to my Doctor, I would have very likely developed diabetes by now and that's a pretty damn serious condition, but that's another story....

I see no reason why generic Propecia wouldn't work as good. It's finasteride after all. And Rogaine/minoxidil doesn't work the same as Propecia at all. It combats hair loss in a completely different way and won't stop it in the long run.

IMO the only good point your dr. makes is that you may be too young for finasteride although many people will disagree. Plus, he is blowing the side effect thing way out of proportion.