21y/o Male Diffuse Thinning Story (PLZ HELP)

Matt93

Reaction score
Hey everyone, before I explain my situation I would like to note that everyone on both my mom and dad's side of the family all have a full head of hair including my mom and dad, I've also had very thick hair my whole life, but anyways here's my story...

So back in November of 2011 I went through alot that caused me to become very depressed and also have very bad anxiety. I never noticed any hair shedding but I was able to notice that my hair had started to become slightly thinner throughout 2012 and through 2013 (all this time I was going through hell in my life from anxiety, depression etc.) It was never thin to the point where I thought something was wrong until around January 2013 when I would part my hair when it was wet I would notice in the middle there was some thinning around the middle, but I still didn't think anything serious of it.

Here's when my nightmare began,

In October 2013 I shaved my head... when my hair started to grow out it didnt grow out full, even the sides and back grew out much thinner and on top it grew out in a diffuse pattern. Ever since then my hair hasn't changed.. It hasn't gotten better but it hasn't gotten worse, but at the same time I'm still dealing with bad depression and anxiety and always very stressed. What I suspect is that it's telogen effluvium from stress or some stress related hair loss but I'm not 100% sure and I read that telogen effluvium your hair is supposed to grow back after 6 months or so and mine still hasn't but maybe it's because I haven't gotten rid of my stress? Idk anymore I'm seeing a dermatologist in May but if anyone can help me or give their input I would really appreciate it.. thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Some things I left out:

-My hairline is fully in tact. No receding whatsoever.

-My hair doesn't shed but sometimes when I pull my hair I notice 1-2 hairs on my hand with a white bulb at the end.

davepeters3345

Established Member
Reaction score
we could help you more if you post pics. Since genetics don't seem to be going against you, and since you have no receding, it MAY be related to your anxiety. Post pics if you want answers from people here

joey

Reaction score
Check your blood.. thyroid hormones, iron levels....and feed yourself regularly..
I lost half of my hair for a month and half...crash diet, was only on fruits...took 5% percent of proteins needed daily for a MONTH.....it was disaster.. eat whey proteins also.
Seeing some regrowth after 2 months...but it is painful..needs time.. My dermatologist said that I have no miniaturization and she had a really big laugh that I had huge weight loss, lost 30 pounds in a month..
So do a blood work.. get some supplements.. B-complex..

joey

Reaction score
I saw your pictures again. Probably the same pattern as mine, yes Telogen Effluvium has also has pattern, it shows how you will loose your hair by the age 50-60-70, all people loose hair at older age, my dad at the age of 65 started to loose some hair, but now he has more hair than I :) Now I have haircut for every 2-3 months. Before at least one per month, maybe every 3 weeks. Road for recovery is long, at least 6 months to see some success. Don't do some extreme heavy weighting, or that kind of sports, it depletes minerals and proteins...
When I have some visible success I will update my story with pictures... for a month I will end my "follicle resting" phase(100 days "shedding" phase) from end of my weight loss experiment.. after those days, there should be some growth.....

So don't think about hair too much....

Matt93

Reaction score
So I got my blood test results back and the doctor said everything was normal but my free t3 was a little high.

Here are my results for Iron and thyroid;

Ferritin: 65
Iron: 27
Transferrin: 2.82
Transferrin saturation: 0.38

TSH: 4.770
Free T4: 14.85
Free T3: 5.8

Should I still take these results to my derm even though my gp said they were normal? I guess my hair loss has to be due to stress since thyroid and iron are ruled out.. More feedback would be nice, thank you.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes bring it anyways.

Could be Chronic Telogen Effluvium since you said it hasn't improved or gotten worse in 2 years.

Matt93

Reaction score
Yes bring it anyways.

Could be Chronic Telogen Effluvium since you said it hasn't improved or gotten worse in 2 years.

That's exactly what I think as well.. Do you know if chronic Telogen Effluvium is still reversible?

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I think as well.. Do you know if chronic Telogen Effluvium is still reversible?

I'm unsure because I think I've read chronic Telogen Effluvium can cause hair minaturization. Just have the derm examine it.

Matt93

Reaction score
So I just saw a derm and in my opinion it was the biggest waste of time.. The derm barely asked me any questions and took a quick look at my hair and said male pattern baldness and wanted to prescribe me with finasteride... I quickly said no and left... I'm feeling very discouraged because I'm confident it's not male pattern baldness but at the same time shouldn't the derm know what he's talking about? So could it be male pattern baldness? Like I said and shown in my pictures... I have no receding and the thinning is all over my scalp not just on top.. I was 99% sure it was due to the depression/anxiety I've been under the past 4-5 years.. What are the chances that the derm misdiagnosed me? Please help and tell me what I should do from here..

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hair transplant surgeon is the next place you would go if you think you were misdiagnosed.