22 y/o receding and thinning since 16 - starting regime today

palmer91

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I've been a browsing the forum for a while now, thought I may as well drop a thread about myself and my current situation.

So I started receding at 16 years old very slowly and thinning along the way, I'm 22 years old now and in the past 12 months I have noticed a massive increase in the rate of my hair thinning and receding. My most affected areas are my temples, thinning on the top and at the crown, too. First of all (without doing any research whatsoever) I didn't really know what to do, so I just bought a caffeine shampoo and started using that, washing my hair less (every other day rather than daily) and just generally trying to take better care of it, but now I've thought maybe it's time to start doing something about it properly.

I've been on here reading threads about other people my age and in my situation and it's been quite interesting. I went to my doctors and I got prescribed some finasteride, I've got 28 5mg tablets and I've been told to take 1/4 once a day (I'm having real trouble cutting them into 1/4s, so if anyone can recommend a good pill-cutter that would be great, cause I've read that most are ****.)

So anyway, today is day 1 of taking finasteride, but I was just wondering if anyone could recommend anything else to take/do alongside it? I've looked into minoxidil (or whatever it's called) and I'm not overly keen on that as it doesn't seem very successful - sounds a bit like a waste of time.

Any advice is much appreciated, I know this isn't a quick fix - I'm definitely in in for the long haul!

PS: I'll try get some photos later today so you can see my starting point and hopefully my progression over coming months.

jacobi33

Reaction score
Nizoral Shampoo. Biotin supplements (I just started on them - can't hurt). Others like to take supplements to aid with sides, notably zinc.

But the Nizoral is crucial, and Biotin is a good idea when combined with finasteride and nizoral.

I don't use minoxidil either, for what it's worth. Gonna wait to see how the Big 2 + Biotin do on their own before I step into that morass.

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil can be a real good addition, it can really help regrow hair if you are on finasteride. It's a commitment though.