22 year old receder.

bigblackattack

Established Member
Reaction score
So I began to notice my hair receding at age 19. It bothered me immediately. I've always have a bit of a high forhead, like my father, but my temples have been pushing back at a steady rate seen I first noticed it. If I had to describe my hair, it'd best best illustrated by the late Heath Ledger or late 70's Bill Murray. My hair is dark, long, and very curly. Since it has receded I always wore it long to cover my balding up, most don't notice unless I point it out. Lately I am beginnng to notice.

After visting this site on and off again for a year or so, I decided to do something. While there is really not much us receders can do, action has been taken via Nizoral Shampoo, Rogaine Foam/Liquid, and Biotin vitamins. Generally I only use the liquid at night on the weekdays and then the foam in the morning/liquid at night Friday-Sunday. This is done because I read Rogaine burns hairlines so I thought I'd use it as modestly as possible. The reason for the Foam AND Liquid is because I am poor and I read mixing reviews about Foam eating hairlines.

I asked my doctor about Propecia, which I'd take over Rogaine any day, but she said I can't get on it until an unknown illness I have been fighting for a few months subsides. Lately I've felt better and predict hopefully getting on Propecia by May. I will stop taking the pill if sexual side effects occur.

After one month of the 2/3 Big 3, I have noticed nothing. My hairline seems a little further back and I rarely have "good hair" days anymore. I understand either treatment takes time, but I wonder if I am wasting mine. I generally apply the foam or liquid directly to hairless part of my scalp and kinda rub it into a bit of my hairline. I wonder should if be applied mainly to the actual part of the scalp with hair? Also, does applying it to a damp, wet, or dry scalp help?

Q: Given my story so far do I seem to be on the right track? If so how long would you recommend I keep up with Rogaine/Nizoral treatment before I stop due to lack of progress. Also, once I get Propecia should I stop using Rogaine if I haven't seen any regrowth? I'd be nice to keep what I have and if Rogaine doesn't do anything why bother with both treatments?

-Thanks

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
You should keep on all three. If you have less dense hair like me nizoral can do wonders because it fluffs up your hair quite a bit after a shower and makes it look thicker.

Rogaine works better on a dry scalp for absorption. Personally, I don't think using rogaine on the temples will destroy them because it hasn't done that for me. It actually attacked my crown area quite a bit. So I switched to using liquid on the crown and foam on my hairline. I have been using rogaine foam on my hairline and I'm pretty sure im seeing new hairs form. There were little dark hairs coming in and I thought that they were going out instead but it seems they are getting longer. I think if you have a bit of peach fuzz on your temple region theres a possibility the rog will kick those dying hairs into coming back alive. If youre totally shiny though, probably not a good chance of regrowth. That's my 2 cents.

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score
I heard rogaine is better on a wet scalp, for better absorbtion. Some people had to stop applying it with wet hair because of the sides.