22 Years' old early stages!

4thojab

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread, I would really appreciate all feedback and experiences however small.

Bit of background on myself, active 22 year old - regular gym attender but I do live the social life so alcohol is obviously ever present!

Family history - dad is pretty much heavily receded (he shaves his head) probably a norwood 5A at age 45, he has extremely thin hair on the top but his temples are not heavily receded.

My mums brother has a full head of hair at 35 and her father is bald but he is 65 think he was receding in his 40's quite similar to my dad.

So my hairline at this present state is almost a full head of thick hair, however in the corners it has receded slightly, almost a small(ish) triangle shape right in the corners of my forehead. It is very much slightly worse on one side and has at the top started to affect the temple the area as it starts to go from a straight line recede to the sort of circular shape people experience.

Will upload pictures this evening but wanted to get this thread up asap!

Obviously I appreciate the best way to slow this down is to do something about it sooner rather than later.

Actions I have taken thus far for 3 weeks now - Regaine minoxidil foam 5% morning night/ along with Nizol shampoo (the one you purchase through this site Dr something) with a natural Bioton shampoo on off days.

My question for you experienced users is:

When should I start taking finasteride?
What side effects should I look out for? (in order to stop)
What side effects should I 'ride out'? (will go after time, how long should I try to ride out for?)
If I experience any sides no matter how small, should I come straight off it?
Your experience on finasteride? what was your regime?

I am not looking for a miracle, I would just be grateful if I could keep my hairline in to my 30's - not over fully fussed about going bald but it is a nightmare to be receded in your 20s as some of you may well know.

Definitely will not be the unluckiest person on the website but would be very grateful on any feedback you guys have.

Thank you in advance for all your help - I really appreciate it.

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with minoxidil so early on. Thats for growing hair you've lost, not what you want to keep

When should I start taking finasteride?
Right now! I'm 24 and taking 0.5mg every morning. You could do that.

What side effects should I look out for? (in order to stop)far
As far as I know, only if you start growing boobs you should stop.

What side effects should I 'ride out'? (will go after time, how long should I try to ride out for?
Except if you start growing boobs you should try ride out all sides. I would advice you not to think about it when you start. If you notice anything, give yourself 2 months to see if they go away. A lot of guys (myself included) blame finasteride for stuff going on that might well be there anyway. For example, I started finasteride again earlier this month and everything was cool. A week later I broke up with my girlfriend and I have no sex drive. My first thoughts were its because Im taking finasteride again... Its actually not. Im just depressed. Obvs

If I experience any sides no matter how small, should I come straight off it?
​No... If the sides are minor and you can live with them then don't come off.

Your experience on finasteride? what was your regime?
Been of finasteride 1mg for 11 months, then took a 1 month break now back on at 0.5mg since 1 Sep.
I do wonder if has actually caused any sides for me thats why I took the one month break. I think it has cause a 20% drop in libido for me but I can live with that.