22goingon50's Story w/ pics (24,nizoral/finasteride 3+ years)

22goingon50

Reaction score
Long intro short... haircut gone wrong and my gf had to buzz my head so I figured now is as good of a time as any to post my story and pics. I've been reading this forum for a very very long time, probably for about 6 years now. Which is why I now see the error in creating the screen name that I did.

At 19/20, I jumped on the Big 3 (1.25 mg of finasteride/day). Didn't see any gains at all, so after a little over a year I stopped rogaine. Applications of that stuff twice a day was just not worth it, especially since I wasn't seeing any growth. I've stayed on finasteride and nizoral since then, except for right now, I've missed about 2 weeks of treatment and it will probably be another week till I get on again. First time this has ever happened. Also, I took the online pharmacies finasteride for about a year and a half first and then moved to medical wellness center prescriptions because my doctor didn't approve of cutting pills into 5ths and 4ths were out of the question for him because 1.25 mg wasn't the accurate dose.

I wish I took pictures from the beginning but I didn't. I can't honestly say that anything has helped my situation, but I've stayed on finasteride because it's proven and I like the way nizoral makes my hair look (I use it everyday). I've just been losing hair slowly, but surely since I was about 17. I would say that I am a Norwood 3. My father is a Norwood 4a and his brother was a Norwood 2 until he was about 55 and is now Norwood 3a probably (he also hit depression really hard over the last 4-5 years and has been on a ton of medication). My mother's father had a full head of hair, NW2.

combo2.jpg

At age 20 I was considering a hair transplant, but after researching (mainly on this forum) I agreed that it was just WAY too early to even consider it a possibility. I even went and got a consult, and the doctor had no problem doing the procedure. I decided to hold off until I was 25, and now that I am months away from turning 25 I decided to push it back further. I plan on getting a hair transplant probably between the ages of 28 and 30. When I do go through with it, I won't try to get a NW1 because I've never had a NW1 and I don't care to. I would be perfectly happy with a solid NW2-2.5 with a good hairline, which would require 2500-3000 grafts I'm assuming.

Losing hair is hard, but I try not to let it get me down. I've noticed my hairline since I was 17, but I've still manged to date some really hot girls and have a great life. I've been dating my current gf for almost 2 years now and couldn't be happier. However, I still hope to get a hair transplant someday, even if I'm married. My primary reason is for additional confidencee but I also think it really makes a difference in the business world, especially when it comes to sales.

P.S. Is there any way to change a screen name?!

22goingon50

Reaction score
If my hair remains relatively constant and I don't see any further substantial losses, do you think I would be a good candidate for a hair transplant?

Also, are there any other treatments/supplements that other people might recommend?

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd say your a NW2.5 rather then a 3 so that goal of yours is already achieved.

Hair still looks good and your already on finasteride/nizoral which should help you hold ground for a good while, if things start to get worse then maybe rethink adding minoxidil again.