23 and balding. Looking for advice with pics posted

Fightingroost12

Reaction score
Earlier today I accepted that I'm going bald and immediately found this forum for help. I read the stickied thread but I need a little more help picking the right products for my kind of baldness. I live on my own so I can't waste money on the wrong products =\. And I have no insurance so I can't get anything from a doctor. I'll post some pictures. However I do have enough income for rogaine and things like that. It's mostly my crown but overall my hairs pretty thin. SO any advice on hair products would be amazing and also advice about the forum. I plan on coming back regularly with updates. I'm going at this with a positive attitude because at the end of the day a good buzzed shave isn't a bad look either. But I've seen a lot of posts on here saying they wish they treated it when they still had hair. So I want to get it all right. Thanks in advice for the help!!

http://imgur.com/afHzbIR --Top
http://imgur.com/JlxErrm --Right side
http://imgur.com/QwXtdcJ --Left side
http://imgur.com/Ex3apbJ -- Flash vs No flash

Attachments

• image1(1).jpg
    image1(1).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 229

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ignore Sailor Mean, castor oil will not save your hair. Hair loss is preventative battle, easy to save what you have, hard to grow back what you lost. You can try holistic treatments, but the longer you stick with them, the more hair you lose, and the harder it will be to regrow what you lost. Just get proscar, you may not need minoxidil. Give finasteride a year and see what it does for you.

I'm sure there are natural DHT inhibitors like saw palmetto, but none of them are anywhere near as effective as finasteride.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nobody denies that there are natural alternatives. What we're saying is that they are much weaker than the pharmaceutical options. I'm not aware of any studies or empirical information regarding the DHT blocking efficacy of black coconut oil, but I promise you it's much less than finasteride 1 mg, and naturally as a result that means more DHT in your follicles, and much less chance of preserving your hair. Maybe it could work for some people? I don't know. What I do know, is that you have a much better chance of saving your hair by blocking more DHT, making finasteride a much better option. His hair though, his choice if he wants to go all natural and risk losing more hair...

Fightingroost12

Reaction score
Both of you make strong arguments. Neither of my parents are bald and my grandfather still has a full head of hair. I took testosterone boosters for about a month a year ago and I think that might be the problem BUT my hairs always been thin. Not this thin though. I've never really been a big fan of the all natural route. DHT blockers sound like the right thing. Would you also recommend rogaine or a similar type of cream? I'm glad you're saying it's not that bad. Coworkers lately having been calling me bald out of nowhere so it's been feeling urgent to me

MI92

Established Member
Reaction score
Everyone on this forum AND THEIR GRANDMA frowns upon holistic advice (they'll tell you that balding is due to genetics, and nothing more -- that diet and lifestyle have no effect on hair loss or regrowth whatsoever. That's the mantra of the day, and 'ain't nobody 'gonna have it any other way). Well, I'M HERE TO TELL YOU that if you have decent genetics to begin with, there are some very simple things you can do to prevent further hair loss (yours is very minimal, and I can tell you don't have an extensive family history of hair loss... only very minor) and even get some regrowth. Research what a tablespoon of coconut oil per day (keywords: dihydrotestosterone inhibitor), eating lots of spinach... but not overdoing it (keyword: Biotin) and massaging your scalp with Jamaican Black Castor Oil can do for you (keyword: ... none for this one). Yes, as you can tell, I'm very well versed in this topic and appear very credible. Actually, I have much to say but time does not permit me to say more than this. Sorry for the talking-point format.
Did the whole coconut oil, spinach, liver, grapeseed extract baloney for MONTHS on end, without cheating and I saw no improvement in hair (or skin). If diet had an effect then you wouldn't have middle-aged obese folk with full NW1s or hobos with a full head of hair.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can't see your hairline, looks like you've got some diffuse thinning going on, but I bet finasteride would restore significant thickness to your crown and after a year, nobody would think you're going bald. It's obviously not good, but it's not that bad, still early days and still much potential for regrowth and thickening. You may not need minoxidil. Try finasteride for a year and if you aren't happy then add minoxidil. Finasteride may be enough, don't want to jump on both at the same time and never know which one to attribute your regrowth too. You do need finasteride, no question. You may not need minoxidil.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah diffuse thinning, hairline and temple thinning but not much recession. You're an ideal candidate for finasteride, your hairline looks intact, I bet you'll have great results.

Fightingroost12

Reaction score
Ok how would I go about getting it? It's a prescription and I don't have a doctor or any insurance that would cover it

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
2 options

Get it through your GP, dermatologist, or a hair transplant surgeon
Or you can buy it online with no script

If you have a costco near you, you can fill the script there for generic finasteride which is dirt cheap its $24 for a 3 month supply. Or if your lucky and get the proscar 5mg tabs its even cheaper.

itworks

Reaction score
many things can help

There are many options, but getting your body in balance can be the right step on your way. Once your body is healthy, everything else begins to repair itself.

Fightingroost12

Reaction score
Ok cool I can definitely afford that. My body is already pretty healthy. I take multi vitamins and 5-htp everyday. And I have a fitness app to watch what I eat daily. So it's not that

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have any recommended online pharmacies? Theres so many and it's kinda hard to tell which ones are legit

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I can't find a reliable looking website for this stuff. Any recommendations??