23 and practically bald

Zealot123

Reaction score
Hey guys -

This forum is a gold mine of information for all us unfortunate souls. Figure it's time to share my story. I'm 23 years old and have been balding since high school as early as 16/17. I've been trying to prolong it as long as possible with the use of minoxidil, nizoral and finestaride (although I haven't been too disciplined in the past with the finestaride). I've been relying on the use of concealers for everyday use but the hair loss has become a lot more noticeable and I'm tired of circumventing social events at the beach / pool / etc. It's seriously beginning to affect my everyday life. Most of my friends and girls know I'm losing hair but nobody outside of my family knows the extent and severity of it. I just graduated college and have about 7 months of free time before I start work. My parents offered to help get a hair transplant or some treatment before work begins. I figure if there is ever a time to do it, it is now.

In the mean time I've started back on finestaride and plan on being much more disciplined about it. From the looks of it, I'm guessing I'm at a Norwood 5/6. Anyone with some more experienced eyes care to confirm this? I'm not quite sure what to do at this point and have been strongly considering a hair transplant. I know I'll never have a full head of hair again but at the very least if it re-establishes a hair line and adds a little more hair on top I think it could be worth it. I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the long term implications and external causes of a transplant this young. The hair on my sides remains dense and should be a good enough donor.

Just looking for what people think and any recommendations or support - Is a hair transplant at my age and stage worth it? I've been considering just shaving it all but would still feel a bit "out of place" at 23. What about other alternatives like hair pieces? Feel free to request any more information!

PS: If you guys know of any reputable doctors in the Long Island area feel free to suggest some. Although, I actually have an uncle from India who got a hair transplant there and has some pretty great results. Working on getting information from him about his doctor and some pics to provide. I know many are skeptical about India but the results so far (5 months) look great.

EDIT: Fixed the attachments

Attachments

• 20150112_124925.jpg
    20150112_124925.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 606
  • 20150112_124911.jpg
    20150112_124911.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 494
  • 20150112_124822.jpg
    20150112_124822.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 512
  • 20150112_124815.jpg
    20150112_124815.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 506
  • 20150112_124756.jpg
    20150112_124756.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 481
  • 20150112_124657.jpg
    20150112_124657.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 540
  • 20150112_124654.jpg
    20150112_124654.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 583
  • 20150112_124630.jpg
    20150112_124630.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
stay consistent with treatments or hair transplants will be a bad decision. Idk why you let it grow out like that, it looks like **** and should be shaved down like Dwayne Johnson or whatever.

Can you describe how inconsistent you were with finasteride?

Also, speak to a reputable hair transplant doctor about what you can do and what they recommend

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dude you probably need get get on dutasteride + minoxidil, and you'll be golden.
Actually maybe you are ****ed. Well at least try that combination and actually stay on it.

I'd also reccommend, having maybe a Number one shave, perhaps get some stubble going on.
You could probably look ok bald, for the short time. Before or hopefully you see results from dutasteride + minoxidil.

If not get a hair transplant.

DENI3D

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys -

This forum is a gold mine of information for all us unfortunate souls. Figure it's time to share my story. I'm 23 years old and have been balding since high school as early as 16/17. I've been trying to prolong it as long as possible with the use of minoxidil, nizoral and finestaride (although I haven't been too disciplined in the past with the finestaride). I've been relying on the use of concealers for everyday use but the hair loss has become a lot more noticeable and I'm tired of circumventing social events at the beach / pool / etc. It's seriously beginning to affect my everyday life. Most of my friends and girls know I'm losing hair but nobody outside of my family knows the extent and severity of it. I just graduated college and have about 7 months of free time before I start work. My parents offered to help get a hair transplant or some treatment before work begins. I figure if there is ever a time to do it, it is now.

In the mean time I've started back on finestaride and plan on being much more disciplined about it. From the looks of it, I'm guessing I'm at a Norwood 5/6. Anyone with some more experienced eyes care to confirm this? I'm not quite sure what to do at this point and have been strongly considering a hair transplant. I know I'll never have a full head of hair again but at the very least if it re-establishes a hair line and adds a little more hair on top I think it could be worth it. I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the long term implications and external causes of a transplant this young. The hair on my sides remains dense and should be a good enough donor.

Just looking for what people think and any recommendations or support - Is a hair transplant at my age and stage worth it? I've been considering just shaving it all but would still feel a bit "out of place" at 23. What about other alternatives like hair pieces? Feel free to request any more information!

PS: If you guys know of any reputable doctors in the Long Island area feel free to suggest some. Although, I actually have an uncle from India who got a hair transplant there and has some pretty great results. Working on getting information from him about his doctor and some pics to provide. I know many are skeptical about India but the results so far (5 months) look great.

EDIT: Fixed the attachments

Like ZZZ said, you definitely should not be letting it grow out at that point. Best thing at this point is keep it shaved until you find something you are sure will work. Growing it out like that makes it look 10x worse and 3x as old. Don't mean to sound like a dick, sorry if it sounds that way just being honest. I'm 23 as well and probably am not too far from where you are (1-2 years if I'm lucky) my plan when I get to that point is to not let it get past a 4, I'll probably just keep it shaved which will be a hassle but will look a lot better than what you have going on (and what I will to if I let it grow out)

Zealot123

Reaction score
--ZZZZ
Yes I'm much more consistent with the treatments moving forward. Been doing Rogaine twice a day. With finasteride, I used it everyday for about 5 months then I studied abroad for 5 months and didn't bring any over or get new refills. Once I returned I used it for a couple months and then stopped again. I've been using it now for about a month straight. I now don't have another choice but to follow it strictly.
I met with one cosmetic surgeon (A Dr. Stephen Greenberg if anyone has had prior experience). The Doctor is recommending 2400 using the NeoGraft FUE machine.Anyone have any past experiences? Also, I know the hair as is doesn't look that great - which is why I use concealers like Toppik to help fill in the top. It's quite amazing what concealer can do. However, I do feel that it is becoming too much of a clutch and more of a liability as I'm growing too dependent on it.

--Sayifdoit
dutasteride is Avodart right? How is it any different than finestaride? Do others think I should use dutasteride? Can I use it instead of finestaride or in combination with finestaride. How come you're so confident that dutasteride can do good enough job of helping my hair? Sorry for the rapid fire questions, I'm just relatively fresh to it.

--Deni3d
Like i said, I know the hair doesn't look that great which is why I'm using concealers to help fill in the top. Trying my best now to maintain what little I have. Appreciate the honesty though and hope your luck is better than mine!If I don't get a hair transplant I think would probably just keep it shaved.

Thanks again guys. Anybody else have any advice, opinions, or doctor suggestions?

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm new but from what I've read dutasteride is alot stronger then finasteride. Same sides I believe. Should give it a shot I think especially if finasteride hasn't helped you.

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah man I'm 22 and have experienced about the same hair loss as you. It sucks, REALLY bad to go through such extensive hair loss at such a young age.

I'm hopping on a pretty extreme regiment soon:

• Finasteride 1.25mg (Proscar 5mg cut into 4) 1x daily
  • Minoxidil 5% Liquid 1mL 2x daily
  • Spironolactone 100mg 2x daily
  • Progynova 2mg 2x daily
  • Nizoral 1% Shampoo

This probably won't work for you though because side effects will be an issue (I'm trans so things like gyno are the last of my worries). I'm hoping to see some pretty good regrowth but ultimately I'll need a transplant too most likely. Just be thankful you have someone offering to pay for yours haha. I'd recommend hopping on a regimen ASAP (as aggressive as you can withstand IMO) and riding that out for a year before going to get your transplant. You never know, you may regrow a ton of hair and not need as many grafts/be able to get more coverage or density from your available grafts.

Picture 10.jpg

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah man I'm 22 and have experienced about the same hair loss as you. It sucks, REALLY bad to go through such extensive hair loss at such a young age.

• Progynova 2mg 2x daily
  • Nizoral 1% Shampoo

This probably won't work for you though because side effects will be an issue (I'm trans so things like gyno are the last of my worries). I'm hoping to see some pretty good regrowth but ultimately I'll need a transplant too most likely. Just be thankful you have someone offering to pay for yours haha. I'd recommend hopping on a regimen ASAP (as aggressive as you can withstand IMO) and riding that out for a year before going to get your transplant. You never know, you may regrow a ton of hair and not need as many grafts/be able to get more coverage or density from your available grafts.

View attachment 30535

Hey man.. Whats your family history of male pattern baldness? Good luck with your treatments.

tkster95

Reaction score
That's pretty much exactly what my hair looked like at 23. With that much on top I could do wonders with courve and toppic. Around your age I jumped on rogain and was able to slow down the male pattern baldness for a few years but by the time I was 28 I had pretty much lost it all. I'm currently a NW6-7 at 31. If you lost that much at 23, you may be headed towards a full blown NW6-7 as well.

I never used finasteride so I'm no expert on it, but from what others have said, it may allow you keep what you currently have and possibly regrow some. I've read on other threads that it takes about a year or so to see how your hair actually responds to the treatment. I'm sure others could provide more insight on that but from what I know, if you just started finasteride its too early to know anything for sure.

If you are able to keep what you have, a transplant may be a good option. But if you continue to lose all your hair, you'll defiantly need multiple procedures which still may not yield the results your looking for.

I recently came across a new procedure called scalp micropigmentation. Its defiantly not for everyone, but since you were looking for suggestions I figured I'd chime in. Basically its a tattoo to replicate the shaved head look The results seem to look very realistic. I'm still trying to get comfortable with the idea of having it done, but for the first time in awhile I feel like I have an option. I'd be curios to hear what you have to think of it as well. Good luck.

alex85

Established Member
Reaction score

• Progynova 2mg 2x daily
  • Nizoral 1% Shampoo

View attachment 30535
Very agressive regimen mate, but potentially very effective. Be consistent, and you gonna recover up to NW2. Sadly, but this kind of hairline loss is unable to get you to full recovery. But, in future, i guess 1.5-2k grafts should be enough to restore it.

Zealot123

Reaction score
recedingyt - Wow that definitely seems like an aggressive regimen from what I've been reading. Hopefully it works out for you. Wonder if you'll be able to tell which one is more effective for you but I guess I wouldn't care as long as it worked overall. In terms of my hair transplant it's both good and bad that my parents are willing. I pretty much have no time to wait as my job starts in July and I'm free until then so I think I will be getting one within the next 3 weeks. Unfortunately this means that I won't be able to research more or even perhaps try and grow more grafts using meds and save some $$$.

Tkster95 - Hate to hear about your loss but happy to have someone with your experience help out here. I've pretty much come to terms with being bald by around 30ish or so. I actually have no qualms about it. It's just that I'd like some hair and normalcy during my 20s. After that if it all goes I dont think I'd care. Only thing is if the transplant makes my hair look odd when I'm 30ish and have no other hair then it may be a concern (and a way the dr can ensure a 2nd treatment ha) and cause for a 2nd. At this point in time I don't think I'd want one however. I've heard the same about finasteride but I'm going to explore dutasteride as well and may make a switch or do both together. In terms of the micropigmentation I'm not too familiar with it but it sounds a little too much for my taste. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to tattoos, surgeries, etc - mostly getting pushed by my parents for doing a hair transplant now. If you shave you head does it look very different from a scalp micropigmentation?

Anybody have any advice regarding NeoGraft FUE vs Artas FUE? I've been quoted to get about 2500 grafts. NeoGraft is running $6 and Artas is about $10 (different DRs and practices) . Are these around normal rates in NYC / LI area and why the cost discrepancy?

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Dutasteride inhibits more dht. You don't need finasteride if you take 0.5mg daily of dutasteride. It is not approved for hairloss, but enlarged prostates, whereas finasteride is approved for enlarged prostates and male pattern baldness. Ask a hair transplant doctor or dermatologist for a dutasteride script. Keep asking new doctors until you get a script.
You should use minoxidil liquid at night and the foam in the morning for optimal results. You need to stay very consistent with it.

If you want to go full overkill, you should look into Ru58841. Experimental, topical that many people in the hairloss community vouch for.

If you follow the first two or all three, you could achieve amazing results with almost no health risks.

Don't take oral spironolactone. That is guaranteed succees but almost also certainly includes unwanted side effects.

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man.. Whats your family history of male pattern baldness? Good luck with your treatments.

My dad is a pretty slick NW6 at 56 years old. Wasn't noticeably thinning until his late 20s, early 30s. My mom's father had a full head of hair when he died at like 75ish. My half brother (mother's side) had no issue with male pattern baldness when he died at 28 but his hair was always thin to start with, nothing to do with male pattern baldness though.

Not sure how my hair got so bad so young truth be told. I shaved my head ages 19-22 (until about 2 months ago basically) so I didn't know the extent of my hair loss until I let it grow out a bit. It was about NW2.5 but with good density on the crown/vertex when I started shaving at 19.

Very agressive regimen mate, but potentially very effective. Be consistent, and you gonna recover up to NW2. Sadly, but this kind of hairline loss is unable to get you to full recovery. But, in future, i guess 1.5-2k grafts should be enough to restore it.

NW2 really? Idk, that sounds a bit optimistic. I'll be happy if I can get up to a Norwood 4 with decent density. Norwood 3.5 was stretching it I thought. We'll know in a couple years. I'll be sure to post my results if/when they come.

shookwun

Reaction score
curious of your dating life, and reactions from women

are you by any chance forever alone