23 and slowly but surely losing hairline

Pandemic

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been losing my hair starting at around 20-21 years old, though I never really thought it was that bad around that time. I'm one of those paranoid people who is really proactive so I actually did visit a hair loss doctor when I just turned 21 and he prescribed me propecia. I took it and I don't think I re-grew any hair, but I don't think I lost that much either (compared to now).

I eventually got a girlfriend and started to notice the sexual side effects (mostly weaker boners -- I'll talk more about that later). It never really mattered to me before that, but I stopped the Propecia.
Since then I've started Rogaine. I do my best to stay consistent with it 2x a day but occasionally I will forget to use it for 3-4 days in a row (bad...I know).

Now my hair loss worries me a lot and I started back up on Propecia. However, I got the side effects again even when I dropped my dosage down to half a pill. I know that the side effects are 90% in my head because when I'm about to have sex, I'll be thinking about Propecia, not the girl. Also, more conclusive proof that it's all in my head: I couldn't get a boner one time on the very first day I took Propecia after stopping for a while. Even I know that is ridiculous...so maybe the sides aren't so bad and it's all in my head. Hoping I can move past that :) However, I do stop getting morning wood when I take it for a few days, and I can't really control that. So it does have some effect.

Anyway, I'm losing probably 30-40 hairs in the shower and of course more throughout the day. How can I salvage my hair and keep steady with what I have? I'm hoping to hold out until I'm 30 and then look into hair transplant options.

A few questions for you:
- How bad do you think my current hair loss is? I do a good job of covering it up by keeping the sides longer but when I pull it back you can see it's really receding. Sorry about the picture quality.
- Is there any way that I'm just getting a mature hair line and not going full blown bald? Unfortunately hair loss does run in my family, uncles on my moms side are all very bald except for 1.
- Can I drop my Propecia dosage down to 0.25mg every day or every other day and still have it be somewhat effective (or better than nothing)? I'm trying to ramp myself back up on it and get my body used to it while minimizing side effects.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 266
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 310
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 265
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 263

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I took it and I don't think I re-grew any hair

because there is nothing to regrow

you started rogaine which is a huge mistake as you have nothing to regrow and now you committed yourself to taking it for life when you should of never touched it and never would have needed it

1. why are you asking us how bad your hairloss is? you have a mirror don't you? Surely you can see your hairloss is almost perfect. stupid question
2. Unlikely but pssible
3. Yes sides and effectiveness will be pretty much the same regardless of dosage

doublebatman

Established Member
Reaction score
You've got great hair and minimal recession. I think its unlikely that you'll go full bald although its hard to say whether or not your recession will progress. I would have just jumped on a low dose of finasteride and maintained.