23, just started finasteride... here goes

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, so, let me introduce myself... I'm 23, I've been losing hair since 19 years of age judging from the pictures, but I did not notice it until I was 20. When I was 20 I developed some nasty health issues which I still have to a certain degree (I developed thyroid problems, heart palpitations, anxiety all day long etc.) so I had far worse problems than hair loss and kinda hoped it would all sort itself out if I could fix everything else. That, and I didn't want to mess with my hormones further by taking finasteride.

Well that did not quite pan out. I do feel a bit better generally speaking but still not out of the woods, and my hair loss has gotten to the point where I either have to do something about it or just start shaving it all off to not look like a bozo. I feel like I was dealt a weak hand in other areas of my life, and my hair is something I am not going to give up without a fight. Just a matter of principle I guess.

So, after going through this whole hassle of getting my doctor to prescribe Propecia to me, I find that it costs 70€ for one month of pills. This is outrageous to me as a student without a job. So, I managed to arrange something with an acquaintance in a different country who bought it much cheaper with my recipe, it only costs 38€ for 28 pills. Then, to save money further because this is still a lot for me, I am only taking 0.5mg / day, so that the box lasts me almost two months. That's all I can afford at the moment.

Anyway, I am now the 2nd day on finasteride, and I have to say with what all I read on the internet I was almost sure I would get some side effects... but I can't really say that I do. Really I don't, not yet anyways, everything more or less works as it should. So I am more than happy with that already, if it stays that way. Now all that remains is to see if it will work, but that will take a while I guess.

In a few days I will shave my head so I can get some good baseline pictures and track my progress. What can I say, wish me luck, maybe there is some of it in this otherwise very ****ty situation. :turned:

View attachment 32909View attachment 32913

Second pic somehow makes the crown look much worse than it is in reality but it should give you an idea.

STARTED TAKING finasteride: 04 MAY 2015 (0.5 mg EVERY 72 HOURS due to sides)

NOW INCREASED TO 0.5 mg EVERY 48 HOURS

26 JUNE UPDATE (53 DAYS)

View attachment 33676View attachment 33677
View attachment 33678

1st photo is with wet hair and the other ones are with damp hair. I used harsh lighting here which makes my hair look the absolute worst. And the hair is obviously longer here as I did not cut it since I took the original photos.
It's hard to tell if there is any difference since all the conditions of the photos are different, but I am mainly taking these for future reference as I don't like having my hair that short anymore so I will compare with these in the future.

I will try to take some during the daylight in the same environment as the 1st pictures.

16th JULY UPDATE
0.5 mg DAILY (no sides)

View attachment 34050View attachment 34051View attachment 34049

I think it's getting worse. Not sure if it's "just a shed" (that will never come back LOL) and how many more losses I need to take before I jump to something stronger... dutasteride ? They say it takes 6 months to a year to see results on finasteride? Results of what? Halting loss? Regrowth? If this continues for 6 months I will look like ****. WHAT DO.

Last edited:

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I will for now only give you a hint regarding costs:
Get a finasteride generic with 5 mg per pill and split these pills. It will cut your costs by a factor of 4, if not more.

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
IMO do this if you can:-
1. Get 300 pills of propecia(1mg)
2. Crush them.
3. Add it to any alcohol. Just about 600ml
4. Drink 1ml everyday from your dropper.

And voila you can use this for 500 days, that is a year.
Have fun drinking and getting your hair back :p

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will for now only give you a hint regarding costs:
Get a finasteride generic with 5 mg per pill and split these pills. It will cut your costs by a factor of 4, if not more.

Yeah the problem is that where I live only brand name Propecia is sold. And in the country where I bought generic Finasteride, they will not give you 5mg finasteride unless you specifically have a recipe which states that you are suffering from BPH and need that medication. For hair loss, they will definitely not give it to you.

The only other alternative would be to get it from India but I wanted to make sure I was getting legit finasteride when starting out.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Post where you live maybe some else here lives there and can give you cheaper options.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
4th day and my right nipple has been sticking out in the middle, hard and chafing against my shirt creating an irritating sensation for some hours.

Now in the afternoon it has flattened out a bit but still not completely flat. I hope this goes away in a few days otherwise it seems like a bad sign.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Lower your dose, that is an indication of gyno.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I guess I'll try 0.25 mg ED. If that doesn't work then 0.25 mg EOD. And if that doesn't work either then I guess I am just ****ed ... god, I could have guessed something like this would happen. The first few days were too good to be true.

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm taking 0.5 mg every three days. No gyno, but sexual sides (mild ones after my body got used to that stuff for a few months, but still persisting). Some people just seem to be very sensitive to finasteride or to produce a lot of DHT in their scalp but only low amounts in their testes. Which sucks, but that's life.

Anyway, scientific papers have found that finasteride still has like 70-80% effectiveness after 72 hours. So taking it at 0.5 mg on an E3D schedule is definitely possible and makes sense.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah it really sucks, I have no other side effects other than this (well, yet). Still get erections normally and all that stuff is the same.

I guess my problem is probably that I am not lean (body fat is around 18%) and my body type has always been a bit feminine / endomorphic, so I guess I have somewhat high estrogen by default. Thus it makes sense that taking out DHT would be a problem.

I really don't wanna deal with gyno and surgery god help me, so if none of these options pan out I guess I will just call it quits and know that I tried. I guess RU is another option but not sure if that's a road I wanna take. There really needs to be a proper topical anti-androgen, I'm perplexed that no one came out with one by now. I never got that argument that most people would rather take a pill than apply a topical. IF I had to choose between using a pill that would alter my hormonal balance systemically, or take 15 mins to slather some **** on my head every day without risk, I know which I'd choose...

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
So, 10 days in, 0.5 Mg every 72 hours.

Nipples still semi-hard most of the time, and puffy. Unsure if this will lead to gyno, thinking about long-term. No lumps or anything weird there yet, but hard to know for sure.

Hair seems to be a bit ****tier. The front is wispy and thinner than when started, looks like a shed. Other than the aforementioned, no other side effects.

Saving money for topical finasteride in case things go south or don't work.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Updated.

About sides: Nipples still get puffy and erect occasionally, but pain and sensitivity is gone since I changed to 0.5 mg every 72 hours.

A week ago, I have started dosing every 48 hours, so far no change but we will see if the sides increase or not. Maybe I can get to 0.5 mg every day without sides.

beany007

Reaction score
Updated.

About sides: Nipples still get puffy and erect occasionally, but pain and sensitivity is gone since I changed to 0.5 mg every 72 hours.

A week ago, I have started dosing every 48 hours, so far no change but we will see if the sides increase or not. Maybe I can get to 0.5 mg every day without sides.

ahh sorry to hear that.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah the sides are gone but the results aren't there yet either.