23/M Hairloss story

wheredidthehairgo

Reaction score
Here I am,

MY HAIRLOSS BIO:

I'm male and I started losing my hair right when I turned 20 years old. Within 2 months my hairline receded about an inch. What's funny is I didn't even notice but my friends did. I had one friend make fun of it and I still remember where I was and what was said. It had an impact on me but I wasn't thinking about a solution at the time.

About 3 or 4 months before I turned 21 I started going through a major depression. I had no idea what was going on, I just felt terrible every day and couldn't shake it. All together the depression lasted about a year. I was prescribed anti-depressants at the time of course which I eventually discontinued use from because they only made it worse.

During the depression a lot of time was spent on the internet and trying to self-improve. One area, I knew, was my hair. I wish I had my young hairline back. So I did the research and concluded that there was a supplement called Beta Sitosterol that could essentially block DHT. Now, I didn't have a lot of money at the time and I thought this herb would work. So, I stuck with it for about a year. Time and time again I thought it was doing something when really, it wasn't.

Turn to my life now, and I'm 23 with the exact same 1 inch hairline loss I had back when I turned 20. I think my case is particularly weird because my hairline receded 1 inch within 2 months and never continued to recede even years later. It is seriously right where it left off. Besides the receding hairline my crown has thinned up a bit over the years.

CURRENT SITUATION (10/4/2012):

My hair is pretty short in these pictures. I used a 1 on the sides/back and a 3 on top.

The black line represents where my hairline used to be back when I was 19:

Untitled.png

In the next two pictures the black line represents where my hairline is actually visible from more than 5 feet away. Hairs below the lines are vellus hairs.

Here's my temple on the right side:

IMG_1411.jpg

Here's my temple on the left side:

IMG_1410-1.jpg

From the pictures I can conclude that my hairline has not actually completely receded yet. The old hairs are just miniaturizing into vellus hairs from DHT build up. Note that the left side actually has more, longer vellus hairs compared to the right. Either that, or the left side has actually receded more therefore yielding more vellus hairs. This might only be noticeable to myself.

CURRENT REGIMEN (10/4/2012):

I'm tired of screwing around so I'm basically going full throttle. I've started using all 4 methods listed on this website: DHT inhibitors, anti-androgens, growth stimulants, and anti-inflammatories. This includes Revivogen for DHT inhibiting, Topical Spironolactone S5 for anti-androgen, Rogaine for growth stimulant, and RegenPure DR Shampoo for anti-inflammatory. All 4 recommended from the site.

I take every product as directed.

Rogaine 2x/day (applied on the crown and temples once in the morning and once before bed)
S5 2x/day (applied on the crown and temples once in the morning and once before bed)
Revivogen 1x/day (applied on the crown and temples once before bed)
RegenPure Shampoo once every three days

I've been on this regimen for about a month now and will continue. I am willing to spend the time and money to apply these topical treatments but I would like to avoid Propecia forever if I can. Also, hair transplants are out of the question for now. As the website stated, it could possibly take up to a 6-12 months to see results. I'm not holding my hopes out there, I'm just doing what I can with what I have as of right now. Wish me luck!

Abercrombie

Reaction score
If you want to keep your hair, you will eventually have to get on finasteride/propecia. Im sorry bro but its the truth, you need to block DHT and at the same time encourage growth with min/nizoral to get the best results.

However, you seem to have a realistic and positive approach to hairloss and that will get you pretty far. You are absolutely right about not getting a transplant at 23, im at a similiar age myself and i've promised myself to not go down the transplant route until 30. Give meds 10-12 months and see what comes out of it!

Good luck