23, not sure what's happening or what to do :(

Angelo92

Reaction score
Hello, I recently joined this forum due to fear of going bald.

I'm 23 years old currently living in Sweden.
Around this time last year, my gf told me that I am going bald around the crown. At first I did not pay attention as we joke around a lot. But I've started to feel less and less hair and I've taken pictures and saw the same thing.

First I blamed my trait. I used to always scratch my head, when studying, watching a movie, thinking etc...whenever I got a free hand, it went straight into my hair. I've been doing this since I was around 16-17. I always had an itchy scalp so I was always scratching my head. But I dont know if it was not vice-versa, too much scratching = itchiness.

Anyways, I'm trying to stop completely to run my hands into my hair for quite a while now (its way more difficult than I was thought it be) plus I am using this alcohol extraction from hot peppers, lavander, birch, propolis and few other plants that is supposedly helping my scalp grow new hair, 2-3 times a week , apply on scalp, massage the area really good and wait 30 minutes then wash with shampoo. Its too soon to tell if it does anything really...

My question is, is it possible that I have escaped the cold grasps of MBP and its just because of the intense everyday scratching during the last 6 years or so? (on my father's side, all my 4 uncles have pretty good hair for their ages 45, 52, 60 ( Norwood 0-2 ) my dad himself is a NW3-4 I think but I'm not surprised due to his lifestyle and stress, hearth disease, very bad diet, few hours a sleep / day etc. )

I have had long hair up until two years ago ( shoulders lenght ) and always complimented on my hair. But lately I've been told that I'm growing bald and I dunno what to believe or do.

I've ordered some herbal supplements called VitalMan for a two month treatment that contains:
100 mg Siberian ginseng root
100 mg Muira Puama root
25 mg Catuaba Berries
50 mg Damiana Leaf
50 mg Sarsaparilla Root
50 mg Maca Root
50 mg Nettle root
100 mg Guarana extract (std. 22% caff.)
They are supposed to increase testosterone production, general well being and reduce stress , vitalize the body etc, and thus increasing the hair production and growth rate. I'm in North of Sweden and winter is coming , so I think generally is good to get my organism back on track ( first time ever that I'm taking vitamins in my life ) and the "side-effect" that it potentially has on my hair is more than welcome.

Here are some pictures taken today , please note that I've just washed my hair and its a bit fluffy. As soon as the scalp produces some sebum, the hairs will stick together and the "bald spot" is much more visible. If I don't wash my hair the day after tomorrow it will look really bad, the hair count on the crown area is really low!. Please help me identify my problem and maybe give directions towards medication or tips. I can post more pics tomorrow evening.

download (1).jpgdownload.jpg

alex85

Established Member
Reaction score
Typical diffuse NW2, early stages. Get on finasteride, your natural supplements are useless.

2tite2014

Established Member
Reaction score
Listen to alex85. All of that herbal crap you're buying is a waste of time and money. If you want to keep your hair, get on finasteride.

Angelo92

Reaction score
Where do I get Finasteride and how do I take it? I've read other posts and there is also something called min, should I take that too? Is finasteride something that I will take my whole life if I want to get / keep my hair ? How aggresive can diffuse NW2 develop ?

Kevlon

Reaction score
Where do I get Finasteride and how do I take it? I've read other posts and there is also something called min, should I take that too? Is finasteride something that I will take my whole life if I want to get / keep my hair ? How aggresive can diffuse NW2 develop ?

You can never say how aggressive it will be. I have seen people going froma full head of hair to Norwood 7 in like 1-2 years. But as the other pointed out you are in an early stage and chances are really good to maintaing or even regrow hair if you hop on finasteride soon. Go see a doctor and talk to him about this. Have some blood work done and talk about options you have this early

Angelo92

Reaction score
You can never say how aggressive it will be. I have seen people going froma full head of hair to Norwood 7 in like 1-2 years. But as the other pointed out you are in an early stage and chances are really good to maintaing or even regrow hair if you hop on finasteride soon. Go see a doctor and talk to him about this. Have some blood work done and talk about options you have this early

I'm currently in Sweden, seeing a doctor here is pretty hard and expensive but I will try to do so. Should I consider Minoxidil aswell? I found pretty cheap way to get Proscar 5mg which I will split into 4 to get 4 pills with 1,25mg out of one proscar 5 mg pill thus saving money. Reading around I've found that in MBP, 1 mg of finasteride is all you need, more dose will do nothing so I see no point in taking the whole Proscar pill.

The way I see it Finasteride will help me keep what I have and Minoxidil will restore some of what I've lost. Is this correct ? Should I only start with finasteride ? What could go wrong if I dont see a doctor about it ?

kbarnes

Reaction score
First of all, kindly stop the itching/scratching and i would advice you see a doctor before taking anything , you need to consider a lot of factors healthwise and the best option/approach to take

Kevlon

Reaction score
First of all, kindly stop the itching/scratching and i would advice you see a doctor before taking anything , you need to consider a lot of factors healthwise and the best option/approach to take

I agree with this, you should never take any medication without consulting a doctor. Even though it really looks like male pattern baldness go get some bloodwork done this is in general covered by insurance in Europe.

For or the minoxidil and finasteride part. Yes people tend to say finasteride is to keep what you have and minor to add regrowth. I would first start finasteride and see what it brings you there are people who benefit a lot from just finasteride. Adding minoxidil twice a day is not as easy as popping a pill. You need to be consistent when you want to use it