23 Y/O Diffuse thinner. male pattern baldness or something else?. With Pictures

Sao

Reaction score
Hi everybody, i've been losing my hair in a strange pattern since i was 18 and have been trying out all kinds of different treatments:
Propecia - quit about 3 months ago because i didn't feel it really doing anything for me and I also got horrible sides from it (Some that im still dealing with today) :(
Ketoconazol - Still with me today and i think i might keep using it even tho i really can't tell if it's doing anything too.
Rogaine - Actually this got most of my hair back and I was really happy, that was until i got some horrible dark circles around my eyes and wrinkles too! :doh:
So i decided to quit that aswell, now fortunatly my dark circles are gone and the wrinkles that i got from it have faded and you can barley notice, the downside is that i went through the terrible FAMOUS shed.

I have also tried tons of vitamins and are still taking some as im following a Guide on another website on how to grow back your hair with cutting out certain ingridients from your diet and adding vitamins.

Now to the question, i've been at several dermatologists to get my hairloss sorted out and to find an answer if it's really male pattern baldness and the answer has always been that it is male pattern baldness the dermatologists never took any sample of my hair or scalp ( Whatever it is you do when u investigate this kind of thing).
But i don't know, As I said in the title i'm a diffuse thinner and in the beggining of my hairloss it actually looked exactly the same as in this picture:
http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Hair-Loss-1012/2013/04/part-2.jpg

And i'm now beginning to wonder if it really is male pattern baldness or something else because also 2 years back when I was out of a job, living with my parents, going to the gym and relaxing the rest of the time I believed my hair grew back, a really big amout, it was like a dream come true.
Then later on I got a new job and moved out and into my own appartment, i started smoking too and guess what.
My hair began to fall out again and to a point where it was really noticable and i couldnt hide it anymore (That's when i started with rogaine and propecia)
And today my hair looks worse than ever before.
But the thing is now i've noticed that if i just let my hair grow long the hairfollicles aren't like vellus hair, they feel like terminal hair and they keep growing if i let them.

I don't have a receding hairline, my hairline is perfectly fine but it's just like a forest where every 3rd or 4rth tree has been cut down.
I've always been a stressful, REALLY sensitive person and when people critizise me i get really sad but i don't show it. Why im like this is because i have ADD, and i've sunken into depressions several times.

What are you guys take on this?, do you think this is male pattern baldness or something else?.
Here is several pictures of how my hair looks now, with and without flashlight.
Sorry for my bad english, im from sweden so this isn't my native languague.

bild8.jpgbild7.jpgbild6.jpgbild5wet.jpgbild4blixt.jpgbild3blixt.jpgbild2blixt.jpgbild1.jpg

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
its male pattern baldness, 100%.

finasteride is a long term drug. You shouldn't expect to see results within 3 months.

Stay on the rogaine and keto, but if you don't want to use finasteride you will eventually lose your hair. RU may work if you aren't willing to take finasteride

Sao

Reaction score
You really think so? :/ that would really suck. I was really hoping that it might be Telogen Effluvium cuz i've stressed so much over the past years.
And the thing is that i seemd to be getting regrowth about a year ago, without any treatments except keto. I really regrew a LOT of hair this time I trained alot and ate a really healthy diet and back then I was really amazed because it looked like almost all of my hair got back.

Then the sheds started again when i got really stressed and started smoking, bad food habits.

I was on Fina for like 13 or 14 months and it gave me really dry skin, loss of facial fat which really scared me. i was starting to look like a saggy 50yearold in my twenties..
When i stopped with fina most of these symptoms went away.
And really when i was on finasteride for these 13 or 14 months i didn't see any regrowth nor stabilizing my hairloss or slowing it down, in fact it did it alot worse and I had a ichy scalp all the time and tons of shed.

Rogaine is giving me horrible dark circles around my eyes it looks like i've been punched in my eyes litterally, the regrowth on this was amazing tho but I just coudn't go on with that because i didn't want to destroy all my facial apperence because of my hair. Kind of a double edged sword.. what to do right?.. When i quit rogaine these symptoms went away aswell.

Now im only on keto and alots of vitamins and just hoping for the best I guess.
Going bald has really taken its toll on me, for many on this forum aswell i can believe.
This really sucks ..

Btw what is RU?, might be giving this a shot aswell.

its male pattern baldness, 100%.

finasteride is a long term drug. You shouldn't expect to see results within 3 months.

Stay on the rogaine and keto, but if you don't want to use finasteride you will eventually lose your hair. RU may work if you aren't willing to take finasteride

bankelal

Reaction score
Hi Sao,

From what i see your condition is somewhat resembles me. I started loosing when i was 19 . but lost a lot of ground from 21-24.
Similar situation, got a new job, moved out to a new city where i had to travel 5-6 hours daily for abt 6 months. stressful relationship and job life.

I also started loosing my hair in the similar pattern as yours.
Well i have not found a proper solution yet (though my ayurvedic treatment is taking me in a positive direction).
So what i would suggest is take care of the root cause, which I suspect is STRESS. Try to relax in whichever way possible, take frequesnt vacations just to relax, just go to a beach and sit . basically do nothing but to calm ur mind. Another thing that personally helped me long distance running. like run for 30-45 mins (if u dont run, then build it up gradually). Take professional help and help from your friends (only the trusted ones, honestly no one gives a **** abt ur problem).

abt meds, what i have been going in this forum that many people have seen success with dutasteride. It is advised to be on finasteride for 1 yr at least to see if u do not respond and then move on to dutasteride. Since you have already been on finasteride for 14 months, i guess you can take jump from finasteride to dutasteride refer to this post http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...ating-my-hair-loss-with-Avodart-(Dutasteride). But consider its sides and consult with ur dermatologist.

All the best in ur recovery. But ACT NOW, else u ll suffer like me.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
RU is a topical, there have been few studies done on it as it has problems staying stable so you have to make it yourself and it is far more complicated to use than other meds and somewhat more expensive as well. You mix RU powder in with alchohol and propethylene glycol and apply it to the scalp and it blocks all your hairs androgen receptors. It's exact effectiveness is unknown but el duterino claimed it was more effective than dutasteride and has maintained for years on RU alone (he started losing his hair again on dutasteride after 12 years? of being on anti-androgens and RU stopped this)

Travalanche

Established Member
Reaction score
Same here, my hair isn't AS thin as the TC but I have a more receded hairline to compensate for that.

Anyways, yeah... totally male pattern baldness.

Sao

Reaction score
Thanks for the recomendations Bankelal, ill read some more about dutasteride and might reconsidering using that.
About the running and reducing stress, ill definetly do that right away. This might be a reason i regrow some hair in the past.
Im on my vacations now and I try to relax and calm my mind as much as i can.

I don't know if its just in my mind but i think i can see my hair getting slighlty better now for the past weeks during my vaca because i'm beeing able to relax some, trying to focus on all the other good things in life instead of thinking about losing hair all the time of the day.

Thanks for the tips man.

Hi Sao,

From what i see your condition is somewhat resembles me. I started loosing when i was 19 . but lost a lot of ground from 21-24.
Similar situation, got a new job, moved out to a new city where i had to travel 5-6 hours daily for abt 6 months. stressful relationship and job life.

I also started loosing my hair in the similar pattern as yours.
Well i have not found a proper solution yet (though my ayurvedic treatment is taking me in a positive direction).
So what i would suggest is take care of the root cause, which I suspect is STRESS. Try to relax in whichever way possible, take frequesnt vacations just to relax, just go to a beach and sit . basically do nothing but to calm ur mind. Another thing that personally helped me long distance running. like run for 30-45 mins (if u dont run, then build it up gradually). Take professional help and help from your friends (only the trusted ones, honestly no one gives a **** abt ur problem).

abt meds, what i have been going in this forum that many people have seen success with dutasteride. It is advised to be on finasteride for 1 yr at least to see if u do not respond and then move on to dutasteride. Since you have already been on finasteride for 14 months, i guess you can take jump from finasteride to dutasteride refer to this post http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...ating-my-hair-loss-with-Avodart-(Dutasteride). But consider its sides and consult with ur dermatologist.

All the best in ur recovery. But ACT NOW, else u ll suffer like me.

Sao

Reaction score
REGROWTH?!

Im currently on vacations and have been for the last past month, i've been reducing all my stress levels, calmed myself and only been thinking on the good stuff there is in life instead of just focusing on my hair.

This is how my hair look now, if you look at the previous pictures you can clearly see that i was thinning really much at the temples and they're almost filled out now and as for the hair on my crown they've been growing real long and i think i might have some regrowth.

what do you guys think?

This is WITHOUT any meds, been eating a lot of pure vitamins tho and a really healty diet.

Bild1.jpgbild2.jpgbild3.jpgbild4.jpg

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey nice results. It could be caused by a lot of factors.

Have you experienced more sun exposure during your vacations? I know that LLLT (Lasers) works on some people to regrowth hair and I'm pretty sure that the sun contains some of the laser therapy wavelenght. Even if it won't penetrate as well, if you stay outide a lot, it will probably have an effect on hairgrowth.

Sao

Reaction score
Hi!, thanks. do you think i might be in a reccovery or could it just be that my hair's growing longer?
Im not sure right now.

Yea i have been out alot getting that Vitamin - D :), im also taking it reagulary in pill form.

Im right now just really hoping that this is a Telogen Effluvium and that my hair is on it's way to it's "original state"

Hey nice results. It could be caused by a lot of factors.

Have you experienced more sun exposure during your vacations? I know that LLLT (Lasers) works on some people to regrowth hair and I'm pretty sure that the sun contains some of the laser therapy wavelenght. Even if it won't penetrate as well, if you stay outide a lot, it will probably have an effect on hairgrowth.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
vitamins and reducing stress isn't going to do sht. You have male pattern baldness, not telogen effluvium or alopecia universalis. You get the temporary illusion of regrowth between two months because people with male pattern baldness haircycles are often synchronized. Your hair is miniaturizing, you are not regrowing. Your crown is a dead giveaway you have male pattern baldness.

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi!, thanks. do you think i might be in a reccovery or could it just be that my hair's growing longer?
Im not sure right now.

Yea i have been out alot getting that Vitamin - D :), im also taking it reagulary in pill form.

Im right now just really hoping that this is a Telogen Effluvium and that my hair is on it's way to it's "original state"

You probably have more healthy hair but It will likely not come back to it's original state if you don't use an anti-androgens like finasteride. If you don't want to use an anti-androgen (because of sexual sides), there are some underlying mechanisms of DHT that can be addressed and some people have success with it.

Sao

Reaction score
Are you really sure about that?, im posting new pictures today. in this post.

I Am using only ketakonazole btw.Update.jpgbild4.jpg

Acutually i forgot to mention that i'm also using Tee three oil because I read on some site that it COULD promote hairgrowth.
Do you think this could have something to do with me experiencing new hairs?

vitamins and reducing stress isn't going to do sht. You have male pattern baldness, not telogen effluvium or alopecia universalis. You get the temporary illusion of regrowth between two months because people with male pattern baldness haircycles are often synchronized. Your hair is miniaturizing, you are not regrowing. Your crown is a dead giveaway you have male pattern baldness.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
100%. None of that stuff your taking is going to do anything to help you except keto, which will do next to nothing on it's own anyway

MyLife

Reaction score
Different lighting, overall thinness appears the same especially in the front. Just the longer hair covers it up.