23 y/o wondering if i should hop on finasteride

checkbienca

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've never really thought about hair loss until recently and come to find there are many communities surrounded around this issue precisely.

The reason I've been recently concerned about balding is I've been growing out my hair for fun over the last few months and I noticed that when I run my hands through my hair it is very common for a strand of hair to fall out or be in my grasp.

This led to some paranoia and now I feel that I'm receding at the temple/hair is thinning, but I'm not sure if it's just all in my head (not intended).

I've attached some pictures. In your opinions should I hop on finasteride, even if it's just to serve as a security measure (better to catch early, right)?

Thanks!

20 year old baseline:

Side:

picture host

Crown:

2.5 months later (Dec 18)

12394328_10153378188202462_1957552317_o.jpg

7 months post OP (May 3rd)

capture

Last edited:

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
I cant see anything personally. Whats family history like? Also its always going to seem like your shedding more when you hair is normal because the hairs are longer. So could just be normal shedding and only noticing it now because its never been that long.

checkbienca

Reaction score
I cant see anything personally. Whats family history like? Also its always going to seem like your shedding more when you hair is normal because the hairs are longer. So could just be normal shedding and only noticing it now because its never been that long.

thanks!

my family history is as follows:

Maternal:
-Mother has thick hair, not sure if that means anything.
-ALL uncles (5 of them) are completely bald (NW7) in their 50's
-Grandfather died at 40 with hair (NW3), but looks like it was receding. Here's the most recent photo (late 30's):

Paternal:
-All uncles NW2-3.
-Grandfather died at 78 with a full head of hair but it was very thin.
-Father is 60 with this hair:

Age 44:

Age 61:

maybe im just noticing it more due to its length as you mentionned. just wanted to know from people who are on finasteride if it'd be a good idea to hop on it just in case.

Last edited:

Asian Lad

Reaction score
You look fine. Maybe just shorten its length for a bit to see if you notice any shedding as much as you do now.

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
just wanted to know from people who are on finasteride if it'd be a good idea to hop on it just in case.
No. It's not candy, take it only if you need it, and right now anyway it doesn't seem like you do.

Why the hell are you shaving your widow's peak ?

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
As a dude with long hair I can tell you from experience that you'll have hair for days. In the shower, in the comb, in the car... It's everywhere so dont stress. It gets worse the longer it gets.

checkbienca

Reaction score
No. It's not candy, take it only if you need it, and right now anyway it doesn't seem like you do.

Why the hell are you shaving your widow's peak ?

alright, thanks everyone. clearly it's just paranoia on my behalf.

about the wp. yeah, i know, it's annoying and when my hair is pulled back it stands out/looks stupid. i don't know what to do w/ it b/c the hair dresser cut it off last haircut, so i usually just keep it short and hide it w/ my bangs. otherwise it sticks out.

NickUK01

Reaction score
I have a pronounced widows peak, along with a receding hair, but when I have had my hair longer (only a few inches),
I just don't pull the hair back too hard. Now I shave my head to a no.1, so it is clear, but less hassle and makes me think about my hair less anyway. A true widows peak doesn't look like balding/receding anyway and people certainly won't focus on that. I would try not to think about your hair for another 6 months, have a check by comparing photos, if it is the same, you know you have nothing to worry about. I used to worry about it and check daily (and I AM losing hair), but it does nothing but stress you out, and nothing is going to be noticeable in a day or few or more, it's a slow process usually and it is important to just enjoy life and not let these things drag you down too far!

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nothing to worry about and no treatment needed. Keep an eye on it every 6 months/year and then decide if it's noticeably worsening.

checkbienca

Reaction score
I have a pronounced widows peak, along with a receding hair, but when I have had my hair longer (only a few inches),
I just don't pull the hair back too hard. Now I shave my head to a no.1, so it is clear, but less hassle and makes me think about my hair less anyway. A true widows peak doesn't look like balding/receding anyway and people certainly won't focus on that. I would try not to think about your hair for another 6 months, have a check by comparing photos, if it is the same, you know you have nothing to worry about. I used to worry about it and check daily (and I AM losing hair), but it does nothing but stress you out, and nothing is going to be noticeable in a day or few or more, it's a slow process usually and it is important to just enjoy life and not let these things drag you down too far!

thanks guys, much appreciated. i'll check back in 6 months because i have been stressing a bit over it and its making me hyper aware of every strand of hair that falls out.