24, balding, while identical twin brother is not

Thanatos84

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For a start please forgive my english if I'm not too clear or repeat words a lot, english is not my first language.

I'm 24 and I've been losing hair (diffuse) for a bit over a year now. I'll post pics later and pics of me and my twin later on. My hair is getting quite rare on the vertex, and clearly thinning on the front(al?). My hair is quite dandruffy, and a bit itchy at times. When I itch, i collect quite a lot of dandruff under the fingernails. But tbh, considering i avoid dealing wiv my hair, i only wash about every three weeks for the last few months ...

What really worries me is that I have an identical twin brother who doesn't suffer any hair loss. Our hair followed a similar evolution on the temple hair until last year. Plus, his hair looks healthy and no visible dandruff on it.

Worried, i went to see a doctor and did blood analysis recently. I I have a normal TSH and no iron deficiency. I really wish thyroid or iron deficiency would have answered my case, as I'm feeling often tired even though I have a normal pattern sleep (7-8h per night). My doctor was puzzled with my case, so he recommanded seeing a dermatologist to me. I have an appointment in june but it seems so far away.
The difference in our live style with my brother ? I was dependant on alcohol for a year, but that was before i start balding, and I ve been smoking for three years - about 10 a day. I still drink from time to time but not regularly. I'm not particularly stressed either.

This is really getting me down, and I wouldn't feel so low if I didnt have a twin brother as I would have assume my genes were responsible without having to see my brother doing fine. I tried to check similar stories to mine on the web but I haven't found any :(. I'm really wondering if an androgenic alopecia could randomly affects one identical twin but not the other.

If you have any idea on this, I'd really appreciate.

Thank you for reading.

purvey83

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For a start please forgive my english if I'm not too clear or repeat words a lot, english is not my first language.

I'm 24 and I've been losing hair (diffuse) for a bit over a year now. I'll post pics later and pics of me and my twin later on. My hair is getting quite rare on the vertex, and clearly thinning on the front(al?). My hair is quite dandruffy, and a bit itchy at times. When I itch, i collect quite a lot of dandruff under the fingernails. But tbh, considering i avoid dealing wiv my hair, i only wash about every three weeks for the last few months ...

What really worries me is that I have an identical twin brother who doesn't suffer any hair loss. Our hair followed a similar evolution on the temple hair until last year. Plus, his hair looks healthy and no visible dandruff on it.

Worried, i went to see a doctor and did blood analysis recently. I I have a normal TSH and no iron deficiency. I really wish thyroid or iron deficiency would have answered my case, as I'm feeling often tired even though I have a normal pattern sleep (7-8h per night). My doctor was puzzled with my case, so he recommanded seeing a dermatologist to me. I have an appointment in june but it seems so far away.
The difference in our live style with my brother ? I was dependant on alcohol for a year, but that was before i start balding, and I ve been smoking for three years - about 10 a day. I still drink from time to time but not regularly. I'm not particularly stressed either.

This is really getting me down, and I wouldn't feel so low if I didnt have a twin brother as I would have assume my genes were responsible without having to see my brother doing fine. I tried to check similar stories to mine on the web but I haven't found any :(. I'm really wondering if an androgenic alopecia could randomly affects one identical twin but not the other.

If you have any idea on this, I'd really appreciate.

Thank you for reading.

I think you can pretty much rule out androgenic alopecia mate. Im also a twin and balding but so is my bro. Time frame has been pretty much the same too give or take. I suppose you could see it as a positive that it is potentially treatable but it's the finding out whats causing your loss that's the hard part. Unfortunately, it is very difficult for someone to know the cause on this forum.

Hopefully someone can give you some help on maybe controlling the itch and persistent dandruff. Do you have and oily scalp as well? Maybe a good dandruff shampoo with salicylic acid in may be of some help. Neutrogena do a decent t gel shampoo with salicylic acid as an active ingredient. Good luck.