24, Need Advice PLEASE. Photos included

ICUman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all,

Quick background on me. I am 24, and a working healthcare professional in the USA. I began losing my hair at age 21. It has caused me an enormous amount of stress. I have now come to grips with reality and have accepted this is a daily struggle.

I am looking into a hair transplant. I take finasteride 5 mg weekly. I have been on it for a year, and it's helped. I was quoted the following for prices on transplant, by a physician that I trust:

Traditional transplant medium size- 1000-1200 grafts --$4,050
FUE transplant medium size- 1200 grafts --$8,500

So freaking expensive! But that's the price to look good…
Is that a fair price? Should I shop around? My Doctor has been doing this for 10 years. It's Dr. John Bitner in Salt Lake area.

Please offer me any advice you may have, or tips, to steer me in the right direction. I don't want to make a mistake.
What level of Norwood loss am I? I'm losing in front and in back.

Thanks,
H

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 266
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 266
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 257

ICUman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here are two more additional pictures because I exceeded the maximum on my first post.
I keep the sides of my hair at a #1 blade, so I am leaning toward FUE so I can keep my hair short and not have a visible scar.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 209

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
You want FUT or FUE?

Do you mind having a linear scar?

Are you going to keep you hair short at the back and sides?

Are you willing to travel abroad?

What is your budget?

Bottom line is you'll need a pretty big session. 4-5K grafts probably to reinforce your hairline and work on your crown.

ICUman

My Regimen
Reaction score
You want FUT or FUE?

Do you mind having a linear scar?

Are you going to keep you hair short at the back and sides?

Are you willing to travel abroad?

What is your budget?

Bottom line is you'll need a pretty big session. 4-5K grafts probably to reinforce your hairline and work on your crown.

I would prefer to not have a linear scar…although I know that may have to happen. Yes I'm going to keep it short, and I would prefer not too travel abroad. With cheaper prices outside the country, it seems as though you'd be paying just as much with airfare and lodging, and finding your way around. Am I wrong?
I can pay around 10K right now… My physician said he won't do crown transplants until age 30 minimum…which I thought was odd so I may need to look around more.
If you had my degree of hair loss based off the provided photos what would your course of action be?

g.i joey

Reaction score
Dude u take 5mg pill once a week? How do you dose your finasteride? Id wait another 6-8 months to see what finasteride will do when it peaks and then at that point assess where you'd like to get work done on your scalp.

ICUman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude u take 5mg pill once a week? How do you dose your finasteride? Id wait another 6-8 months to see what finasteride will do when it peaks and then at that point assess where you'd like to get work done on your scalp.

I have been on it for a year now! Hasn't it already peaked? It has stopped my hair loss (for now). Why is that surprising? I take 5 mg, each sunday. My physician said it has the same effect as taking smaller doses each day. He also takes finasteride for his loss and has the same regimen.

g.i joey

Reaction score
I think dht levels start to rise after 4 days and may leave you susceptible to some damage on day 5,6,7. This could be all the difference between maintenance and minor regrowth, although I could very well be wrong.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Why the hell do you take just one dose 5x the recommended for hair loss once a week? You should be taking 1mg 7 times a week not 5mg once a week.

SBAT

Reaction score
Many Europeans travel to turkey for their hair transplant's
I might consiser it too someday

ICUman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks all.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah adjust your dosing schedule.

I would go for a FUE in turkey with a skilled doctor. A mega session of 4-5K grafts.

Someone like Koray Erdogan for example.

Swoop, although intriguing, don't you think saving money on the actual transplant, would be absorbed in a flight ticket and other accommodations?

- - - Updated - - -

Why do I need to adjust my dosing?