24, scalp showing at temples - is this recession?

omfg

Reaction score
hey guys!

My hair has always been pretty thick, and I definitely have a full head at the crown, but I'm worried that I may have early signs of recession at my temples.

It looks worse in the pics than it does in the mirror, but I think that's probably a good way to show you guys what I mean. I've noticed that I appear to have "part lines" on both sides of my head (they run from the temple to the back, as most part lines do). The result is that I feel like more scalp is visible at my temples -- is this normal, or is it a precursor to balding? Does it usually mean the hair in that area is balding?

I need your experienced opinions! Also, if it is thinning, what kind of doctor should I go see to get a perspcription? I have health insurance, but I know it won't be covered. Is it expensive to get a consultation?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,222
  • IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,571
  • IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 2,006
  • IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,646
  • IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 2,711
  • IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,591
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 4,768
  • IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 2,338

JaySizzle

Established Member
Reaction score
It does look like you are thinning at the hairline. Get on Nizoral, and look into topical spironolactone and or minoxidil... or you can just start with nizoral and monitor. Having your hair as long as you, it may be hard to notice until you lose a substantial amount.

Agahi

Established Member
Reaction score
Id start finasteride at this point. Unless it always looked this way. Not saying its bad, but if you catch it early you will likely never have to worry about it again.

omfg

Reaction score
I don't think it's always been like that, but I'm not sure. And now that I'm looking for signs of trouble, I can always find them, you know? So what's the process for seeing a dr. about this? On US HMO, it's probably not covered but should I just look up any random dermatologist then? Any experience with what the cost is?

Da Crow

Established Member
Reaction score
Its early male pattern baldness most likely, to save you the dermatologist visit and money. Try and get some photos
of yourself around age 10 to get an idea of your maximum follicle coverage and compare.

If or when you accept that it is male pattern baldness, you can get prescription propecia/proscar or order generics
(finasteride, proscar, finpecia) which tend to save you money whilst retaining effectiveness but
some members get prescriotions cheap. This will target the main source of male pattern baldness, dht which is a
naturally occuring byproduct of testosterone but too much can degrade the follicles, or the sensitivity
to dht is high which would be less desireable but still treatable.

To then accelerate and stimulate growth, pick up some rogaine (minoxidil) liquid or foam and maybe
some oils like emu or castor.

omfg

Reaction score
I never shed hairs on my pillow or anything, and rarely when showering either.

But if I rub my hair enough, usually one or two will out. They seem to usually have a very small white ball on the ends -- that means it's falling from the root, right? Does that indicate anything either way?

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
Mine used to look very similar to your hair. I believe you are thinning. Start finasteride now, and it will probably stop. You also won't have to bother with minoxidil when it gets more noticeable.

bryan87

Reaction score
Hello OP, My hairline looked like that when I was around 24 (26 now). My temples were kind of high all the time, I got into Nizoral and it helped me. Right now my temples have changed. They are bit higher now, what I will suggest is get Nizoral and start with that. I have not use Pros./finasteride due to the side effects. I've been thinking about Monoxidil 5% to see if it helps and maybe I can get back my hairline to when I was 24. I will be very happy, if I could. good luck

omfg

Reaction score
wow, thanks Bryan. After looking at your thread, this actually makes me feel better because we do have similar hairlines and yours hasn't changed much at all in the two years you've been posting. I made an appointment with my GP for this weekend, and hopefully he can refer me to a Derm/get me on finasteride or something -- that is, if we need it. I'm more than happy with the hairline I have now so I definitely want to keep it.

bryan87

Reaction score
No problem, sometimes I feel that its me the one that looks my hair really bad, rather than other people. I forgot to mention that I'm also using Emu oil on my hairline for almost a month and I'm not going to lye I do see some small hairs coming out, but its too early to tell. I also apply grape seed oil and jojoba oil. I was also using Castor oil, but it was too greasy and don't really use it now. Get Nizoral and track your progress. Honestly I don't know about you, but I want to be able to keep what I have right now. Keep updating!!!

first_duty

Reaction score
Its early male pattern baldness most likely, to save you the dermatologist visit and money.

I think it is early male pattern baldness too, on the right temple there is the typical demarcation line of male pattern baldness, the one that divide the central "island" of hair from the hair on the side you are gonna lose.