24 y/o, diffuse (?) thinner, see what I can salvage

Octazook

Reaction score
Hey gang,

So I've been noticing a gradual thinning of the front of my head since I was about 21, it wasn't until recently when a barber went ahead and buzzed my entire head that I realized how bad the crown of my head had looked. I'm not much educated in the Norwood scale and whatnot, but what I do know is that my hairloss is coming on quick and that if I can salvage something I need to try. I'm currently in a relationship and the haircut/sudden realization of how severe my hairloss was has kind of put me into a depression and I'm hoping I can see some improvement.

I've been using Biotin for about a month, Minoxidil for 2 weeks, and Nizoral shampoo for 1 week. I'm about to go to the dermatologist tomorrow and try to get a Proscar prescription so I can get on that as soon as possible. The first picture is low quality, but basically from 2 years ago when I first started noticing the frontal loss. The second picture is from 1 week ago (No Nizoral yet, only 1 week minoxidil) and I'll see if I can update here and there. I like my hair longer, so this length is not common for me, but we'll see what happens. Week-104.JPGWeek0.jpg

Hoping to update on the journey, any advice/comments are always appreciated.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you get the proscar your regimen is good and your pattern is conducive to being a good responder to those treatments

kpat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hm, I think I do see some diffuse thinning. You're luck it's not a receding hairline, though. Those are pretty hard to overcome. You should have good results, especially with finasteride. Also try pumpkin seeds. There was a study done that showed the oil was effective in regrowing hair from diffuse loss.

Octazook

Reaction score
Good to know. I looked at some of the pumpkin seed articles, looked pretty promising. I'm still waiting for some solid peer reviewed literature to be released about it, but so far it's awesome how that is proceeding.

As for my regimen, just thought I'd stop in and say that I was prescribed finasteride a few days ago. No sides yet, the dermatologist basically told me not to worry about sides (I believe her) and that she'd prescribed a lot of it before without any horror stories. So the official regimen is:

2x per day 5% CVS brand minoxidil foam (I go light in the morning... more accurate "dose" at night before bed)
1x per day 1 mg finasteride (seems generic... not labeled Propecia or Proscar but it's prescribed so whatever)
EOD 1% Nizoral Shampoo (The humidity has been making using it often a breeze, will probably decrease pace in the winter)
1-2x per day 1000 mcg Biotin (why not)

I take pictures here and there, it looks better, but it's also grown considerably so that's probably confounding things. Thanks for the input as well, I didn't notice many diffusers sharing their stories, so we'll see how this manages to work out.

Octazook

Reaction score
Month 1 Update!

Picture is me blasting myself with Android flash for emphasis. Tried to keep it similar, even though the length is different.

Nothing too exciting. Obviously, my hair is much longer, at a length where I normally keep it (minus the sides being a bit lengthy). Just wanted to do a month-by-month check in. As for side effects, nothing at all sexually. I still ejaculate normally (A.k.a. a ton) and my sex drive has been fine considering my significant other is away until September. I've been taking note of any gyno-like symptoms. I've always had a fatty chest and "man-boobs" although not quite gyno to my knowledge. And I may be paranoid, but I've experienced some chest pain on my left side, but it's mainly around the rib-cage breast area. With that said, I've started my new job, have been eating extremely healthy (which is a change from the grad school diet) and do cardio in the morning before work. Will keep everyone posted with that situation as well.

Cheers, I'll try to swing back in a month.

Week 5.jpg

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
don't expect to see any results within the first 3 months or some people only get regrowth after 6 months. Remember maintaining what you have is considered a success... only a minority get decent regrowth

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dude I would just keep it shaved I recommend, looks much better IMO and you can see results better.