24 year old needing advice on his 'hair loss plan'

darwin101

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I am 24 years old -- almost 25 -- and I've been losing hair since I was 18. Optimistically, I'd say I'm heading for a Norwood V A pattern, but right now I'm probably a III A. I use concealer frequently so my perception of my hair loss isn't as bad as my reality. I wonder if that skews how I assess myself on the Norwood scale, but I don't ultimately believe so.

I don't post here often, but a few years ago I did make a couple obligatory posts that ever young adult seems to make -- 1. I'm getting a hair transplant and if I have to shave my head then who cares because I'll just tell a bad-*** story and 2. I hate my life and this is so unfair!

Well, I've gotten over 1. (for now), and I'm doing a lot better with 2. than I was three years ago.

Anyways, what I need is some advice on how to maintain the hair I have. If I can maintain the hair I have then a transplant can be planned down the road.

• I currently use rogaine foam once a day, and nizoral shampoo. I work out, eat healthy, drink lots of tea, etc., etc.
  • I do NOT use propecia. I tried it for several months and it caused erection issues.

I am still losing my hair, although the pace seems to have died down a bit.

So, fellas, what other hair loss products are out there that can help me maintain my hair? Please don't be shy, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

JohnnyBBald

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Propecia is the way to go as far as maintaining hair. I've heard Saw Palmetto can work, but there's no evidence really. You won't see many success stories here without Finasteride.

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sadly a DHT inhibitor is what will really help you. Can you post some pictures up, by all means block your face. And we can see how your hair is looking. If you want post with and without the concealer fella :)

darwin101

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

I will try and get some photos up once I get my camera back.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate any more input.

Does anyone have knowledge of another way of maintaining hair that doesn't include propecia?

Thanks

Baldie101

Established Member
Reaction score
Oils...you could try. Saw palmetto, emu oil, mustard oil, custer oil or the mix of a few which there's a study on. Can't say they are working for me.

I am that optimistic pattern 5a you are talking about and probably moving to 6...and I can tell you that this pattern 5a misses the ol times with lots of hair on the top D:

I would say finesteride is the only way to keep your hair...so I agree with the previous posters on this matter.