25 y/o - should I be worried about my hairline?

cpa21

Reaction score
So my girlfriend was messing with my hair recently and noted that it looked as if I had a few "random" hairs that were shorter than the rest at the front of my hairline. I chalked it up to just a result of the clippers I use (I cut my own hair) catching some hairs closer than others, but she got me thinking and now I'm paranoid about my hairline receding. I have always had a broad, large forehead, thin/fine hair texture, and a bit of a widow's peak/receded temples, and my hairline today doesn't seem different from any other time I remember. I have gone back and looked at pictures from several years ago, and can't tell a difference, although I have never really scrutinized my hairline all that closely with the hair pulled back.

Some additional info:
-No thinning at the crown, from what I can tell
-I haven't noticed an abnormally large amount of loose or fallen hair when I comb, shower, etc.
-My dad and his dad have/had a full head of hair; mom's dad was bald very early (started in high school) and her brother is balding now (58 y/o)

Based on the pictures, do you think I should go see a professional to look into treatments? Or should I give it a few months and see if it gets worse first?

Attachments

• IMG_20150204_175201972.jpg
    IMG_20150204_175201972.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_20150204_175057285.jpg
    IMG_20150204_175057285.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_20150204_173424087_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150204_173424087_HDR.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_20150204_175228947_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150204_175228947_HDR.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 277

templerecess

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm also 25, and like you, I have a relatively full head of hair. However, my temples are slightly more receded than yours. It's possible that your hairline could not move back much more and you'll always have a full head of hair. However, I'm in the camp that is pretty much of the opinion that we have finasteride, why not use it? The side effects are highly unlikely, and it isn't expensive at all. ($13 a month from Costco). I have been on it 1 month and have no side effects. A lot of people tell me I just have a "maturing hairline," and that "you're not even losing hair." But I see it like this, if I wait 1 year and I do lose quite a bit more, then I'd regret not starting now.

However, having said that, It appears you only have minimal recession. Wait about 3 months and monitor it closely. Then hop on finasteride if there's a noticeable change.

cpa21

Reaction score
Okay, I'm also 25, and like you, I have a relatively full head of hair. However, my temples are slightly more receded than yours. It's possible that your hairline could not move back much more and you'll always have a full head of hair. However, I'm in the camp that is pretty much of the opinion that we have finasteride, why not use it? The side effects are highly unlikely, and it isn't expensive at all. ($13 a month from Costco). I have been on it 1 month and have no side effects. A lot of people tell me I just have a "maturing hairline," and that "you're not even losing hair." But I see it like this, if I wait 1 year and I do lose quite a bit more, then I'd regret not starting now.

However, having said that, It appears you only have minimal recession. Wait about 3 months and monitor it closely. Then hop on finasteride if there's a noticeable change.

Thanks for the reply man. Did you have to get a prescription for your finasteride? I've heard some have trouble getting one if their recession isn't that bad.

templerecess

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply man. Did you have to get a prescription for your finasteride? I've heard some have trouble getting one if their recession isn't that bad.

Yeah dude I went to the dermatologist and the first thing he said was "it looks like you have a full head of hair." So I pulled it back and told him how I've noticed considerable shedding and how my hairline has moved back some. He didn't seem to have any problem prescribing it. (He also told me minoxidil will regrow hair on temples in conjunction with finasteride). And that was all it took.