25 year old (diffuse thinning) Start of finasteride regimen (with progress updates)

jerrymac

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have always had very thin blond hair.

Since male pattern baldness runs on both sides of my family, particularly my Grandpa who was balding by the end of his teens, I have always been afraid of the inevitable.

Since fall 09' I have noticed there were miniaturized hairs on the top of my head.

I researched everything about propecia, minoxidil, and all the lotions, potions and herbs..

Afraid of finasteride's sides and possible shedding phase I opted to take 320 mg of Saw Palmetto.

I did this for 3 and a half years.

During this time, my hair slowly got thinner. No one (including a friend who likes to point out hairloss) has ever commented that my hair appears thinner.

But I notice.

I am not sure if Saw Palmetto had any effect. How could I? I do know I took it fairly consistently for over 3 years...and my hair is only very subtley thinner (cosmetically)

This could be cause I am balding slowly, or it actually helped. Who knows? BTW No sides on SP

But Due to recently becoming Single....I am more concerned about my hair loss.

Lately I have added

Ketoconazole Shampoo - 1% (every 3 days)
Saw Palmetto extract - 640 mg
Emu Oil- Massage in scalp every night
Lysine- 2 a day

Now I am starting Proscar.

I will start off with very very small doses (ideally .1 - .2mg)

My main concern is about shedding.

I think shedding is probrably Telogen Effluvium. When starting off at a high dosage..I think people are shocking their systems...much like stress....3 months later...a shed.

So if I wean myself on...perhaps I can avoid this as well as other possible sides.

Right now I am shedding very little hair...although a month or so ago I went through a mild shed due to extreme stress from break-up 3 months earlier.

I am very aware of the horror stories.....Very aware...no need to remind me.

I am creating this blog for people, because after countless hours of research no one, has really ever posted all the info I would have liked to had reported.

But I start my finasteride regimen today.

Here is my baseline CAM00081.jpgCAM00082.jpgCAM00083.jpgCAM00085.jpgCAM00086.jpg
CAM00055.jpgCAM00089.jpg

My hair has always had a pretty ****ty "see through" effect because its so thin.

As you can see even my donor hair looks very thin..though believe it or not..still thicker than up top. Bad bed head when I took these photos tho.

I realize my hairloss is not that noticeable yet.....but to me...that is the point...if **** works out...Hopefully I can retain my hair until I am 30 perhaps even thicken up a bit

Here is what I will be reporting on

-Shedding rate
-Sexual sides
-b**ch Tits
-muscle hardness/strength (I work out regularly)
-Thickening/growth
-Dose changes

I've seen alot of inspiring results like peapoddy's thread...he basically went from really really thin...to hair like mind...I wonder if I start now...can I get back to my original hair before miniaturization.

Welp here goes nothing! (swallows pill)

jerrymac

Reaction score
Hello,

Wanted to update.

Been 5 days on .1 - .2ish finasteride.

No sides but

Definite increase in shedding starting on day 3

Yesterday and today was absolutely crazy.

I doubt it is a coincidence.

Knowing the hair cycle though...there is no way the finasteride put these hairs into telogen phase that quickly.

These are hairs that were not growing anyway and due to fall out...But why would the finasteride make them shed faster?

Kick starting the hairs to grow a new hopefully?

jerrymac

Reaction score

Poignant... Point taken.

Thanks but I know by the fact there are many miniaturized hairs on my head that...its not all in my mind.

I prolly worry about it too much...but then again...that is why these forums exist.

The shed I started is definitely real.

When styling my hair roughly 50 hairs came out , which before finasteride...id normally get 1 or 2 or none at all.

This was consistent both sat and sun.

Today I only noticed 10 hairs shed... but I also wasn't looking for them.

There have been other reports...of immediate shedding starting finasteride.

I hope this is merely an acceleration of the hair cycle resting follicles shifting to growing.

UPDATE:

Been 9 days now...

Shedding has significantly slowed. Starting on tuesday I only noticed about 20-30 hairs throughought the day vs maybe 100 friday-mon

Weds - Didn't see a single hair shed even when looking.

Today: Seen about 20 hairs shed while looking (i.e.shampoo Combing. Rubbing) etc

I am being obsessive but I just want to make sure it isn't going crazy anymore.

Last edited: