25 year old male. My story .

Leiker

Reaction score
I need to tell my story, because nobody else takes my suffering seriously. One girl that I was seeing even laughed at me when I told her, as if it was some kind of joke. It was very hurtful that she didnt take me seriously.

I am 25 years old and from continental Europe. I have been shedding hair at an abnormal rate for about 2 years. I remember my ex-girlfriend commenting on it. I had really dense hair so I never really thought about it. However, recently I started shedding a lot more. For about 4-5 months maybe. In the last 2 months it got really seriously and I started to get worried. I asked my family about it and they said that they noticed I was going bald but they were afraid to tell me. I started researching on the internet and found out about Propecia, minoxidil and started reading through various hair loss forums to read about others experiences. Considering that I read that Propecia needs to be taken as early as possible for it to have effect, I am getting more and more angry at my family for not telling me when they noticed it! They thought they were helping me, but if I had been told before I could have taken these measures probably 6 months ago atleast!

This week I had my first breakdown because of it, I cant handle the thought of going bald. I love my hair. I basically started crying after having talked to the doctor and being told that I couldnt get a time until a week after new years. I started crying at the hopelessness of the situation. For a week I have bee looking all over the internet for remedies. I have tried to get a doctors appointment, but I cannot see one before the 9th of January. At the rate that I am losing hair now, I think that every day counts. I really want to get on Propecia. but you need a perscription here. Luckily, I found an online pharmacy that does online perscriptions based on a questionaire. Its a bit dodgy, because you never actually have to visit a clinic physically and so I have not actually been diagnosed by a doctor yet, but I am not taking any chances. I want to save as much of my hair as I can. I am afraid to shower because I end up with so much hair in my hands. My desk is filled with hair and so is my floor even though I vaccum it often. I understand the effectiveness of Propecia depends on how early you get on it. I cant wait 2-3 weeks before I get to talk to a doctor, who will then probably refer me to a dermatologist. Anyway, I should be getting Propecia in mail one of these days and I will start taking it immedietly. In 20 days or so I will be able to go to the doctor and get a real perscription.

I uploaded two pictures for you to see. One after Combing myself and one in the evening when my hair has been compressed by a day of wearing a headset. I dont see to have much hairloss in the temples. From what I have described and from looking at the pictures, would you say that this is male pattern baldness? I am pretty sure that it is (my grandfather on my mothers side is bald) but you guys have seen a lot of examples so I would just like some imput, considering that the doctor dont have time to see me.

I hope to god that Propecia will stop the hairloss and maybe even grow some of it back...otherwise I dont know what I will do. I cant imagine myself as bald.

http://imgur.com/WIKHD&gHhYT#0
http://imgur.com/WIKHD&gHhYT#1
http://imgur.com/F8mCj

To sum up:
My scalp has a burning sensation and I am losing lots and lots of hair every day. I am starting to seriously thin as well (check the pictures)
Do you think this is male pattern baldness?
What do you think my chances are of getting some density back on the crown if I go on Propecia?
What else do you recommend? I am a bit sceptic towards minoxidil, considering it has to be applied every day and the fact that it all goes away if you stop. Its also quite expensive on top of the already expensive Propecia (and I am a student)
How soon after getting on Propecia should I expect the hairloss to stop?
Will it stop immedietly or will there go months?
I heard there is a shredding face, will this hair grow back again?

Would really appreciate some feedback from some of you forum veterans. I have been reading here over the last two weeks and there seem to be a lot of knowledgable persons here.
I plan on keeping the thread updated monthly or bi-monthly

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you think this is male pattern baldness?
yes

What do you think my chances are of getting some density back on the crown if I go on Propecia?
a good chance

What else do you recommend? I am a bit sceptic towards minoxidil, considering it has to be applied every day and the fact that it all goes away if you stop. Its also quite expensive on top of the already expensive Propecia (and I am a student)
give minoxidil a go;
if u respond well to it, you’ll want to continue
if u don’t think u r responding, u can just stop it

same with Nizoral (ketoconazole)

How soon after getting on Propecia should I expect the hairloss to stop? Will it stop immedietly or will there go months?
for some it affects them very quickly (1-4 months) and others longer (like 18 months). Just stick to propecia

I heard there is a shredding face, will this hair grow back again?

there is no way for you to know if propecia/minoxidil is causing you to shed or just the progression of male pattern baldness. I recommend that you don’t make any decisions based on your shedding. the hair may or may not grow back again

your reaction to hair loss seems pretty normal. i also went through much the same thing. hair loss really sucks

Malin

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's male pattern baldness, you need to start with the BIG 3 as soon as possible, being the most important propecia.

Leiker

Reaction score
Thank you for the input guys. I think I will start on Propecia (hopefully the doctor will give me a perscription so I wont have to keep ordering expensive stuff of the internet) and then in 6 months or so I will try minoxidil if Propecia havent given me the results I desire. That way I will be able to gauge the effect of the different products independently.

I will try to keep this thread update with pictures so people can see the effect.
Anyone else feel free to give your input as well :)