25 year old with diffuse thinning and widening partline

ried0523

Reaction score
So, my hair has been thinning in a diffuse pattern (mostly frontal) for over a year. At first, I thought the hair shedding was telogen effluvium because I had just recently stopped taking an antidepressant (sertraline) that I had been on for almost 12 years. Even though I tapered off the AD safely, I believed that it was still such a shock to my body that I was no longer taking the medication. I was convinced of this for a while and comforted myself by saying that the shedding eventually would cease and my hair would return to its original thickness. Unfortunately, that has not been the case.

My hair continues to fall. I have become very obsessive about it to say the least and I have at times let it affect my quality of life : (.

I have begun to take proactive steps to try to stop the thinning. I wash my hair with Nizoral 1% every 3 days and on other days, with natural, sulfate-free shampoo. I monitor my diet fairly closely and try to eat adequate fruits, vegetables, and protein. I have even tried to limit gluten to see if the hair fall slows.

I also have begun taking Hair Maxx Ultrax Supplement. It has received very good reviews on Amazon and thought I would give it a try. I have taken it for a month and 9 days. I believe my hair shedding may have slowed slightly but I am not totally positive. The company suggests taking it for three months to see best results but I'm not sure if they are saying that just to get you to buy three bottles.

I don't really want to try rogaine because I have heard it's not effective for diffuse thinners and it would be hard to apply it. I don't want to have to spend a good deal of money (for the rest of my life) on something that's not guaranteed to work. I don't really want to try propecia because I am afraid of the side effects (depression, sexual dysfunction, cognitive impairment, etc.). I have suffered depression off and on my whole life and don't to make myself even more susceptible. Plus, I have also heard that it's not as effective for diffuse thinners.

So, I don't really know what to do. I would love to regain or maintain the hair I have left. Any suggestions, opinions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

der29

Established Member
Reaction score
So, my hair has been thinning in a diffuse pattern (mostly frontal) for over a year. At first, I thought the hair shedding was telogen effluvium because I had just recently stopped taking an antidepressant (sertraline) that I had been on for almost 12 years. Even though I tapered off the AD safely, I believed that it was still such a shock to my body that I was no longer taking the medication. I was convinced of this for a while and comforted myself by saying that the shedding eventually would cease and my hair would return to its original thickness. Unfortunately, that has not been the case.

My hair continues to fall. I have become very obsessive about it to say the least and I have at times let it affect my quality of life : (.

I have begun to take proactive steps to try to stop the thinning. I wash my hair with Nizoral 1% every 3 days and on other days, with natural, sulfate-free shampoo. I monitor my diet fairly closely and try to eat adequate fruits, vegetables, and protein. I have even tried to limit gluten to see if the hair fall slows.

I also have begun taking Hair Maxx Ultrax Supplement. It has received very good reviews on Amazon and thought I would give it a try. I have taken it for a month and 9 days. I believe my hair shedding may have slowed slightly but I am not totally positive. The company suggests taking it for three months to see best results but I'm not sure if they are saying that just to get you to buy three bottles.

I don't really want to try rogaine because I have heard it's not effective for diffuse thinners and it would be hard to apply it. I don't want to have to spend a good deal of money (for the rest of my life) on something that's not guaranteed to work. I don't really want to try propecia because I am afraid of the side effects (depression, sexual dysfunction, cognitive impairment, etc.). I have suffered depression off and on my whole life and don't to make myself even more susceptible. Plus, I have also heard that it's not as effective for diffuse thinners.

So, I don't really know what to do. I would love to regain or maintain the hair I have left. Any suggestions, opinions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

bald or decent head of hair....choice is yours.

finasteride, dutasteride, and nizoral