25 years old, noticed balding since 22

PreCueBall

Reaction score
I first noticed hair loss/shed when I was 23 in the Fall before I headed back to school. I had a red inflamed scalp for a while but didn't think much of it till I noticed increased hair fall. I was on some basic Fructose shampoo at the time and decided to try out Head and Shoulders. As far as I was concerned it worked great and not only soothed my scalp and stopped hair fall but made my hair look much better.

I was on Head and Shoulders for about a year until next fall where I noticed an increased in shedding (which at the time, I wasn't aware of the fall being the most common time for natural sheds to occur). I spoke with a friend who was also concerned with balding and informed me that I should be using natural shampoos instead of the evil SLS shampoos. I switched to a Tea Tree Oil shampoo but after continued shedding to another natural shampoo. The latter was absolutely terrible for my scalp (wish I could remember the brand) and I decided to switch to something more basic which ended up being Dove Thick and Clean shampoo. Around this time I started looking into potential medications such as propecia and topicals such as Nizoral (ketoconazle). Being in Canada I have access to the 2% off the shelf and unfortunately not the 1% which I would've preferred.

I decided to hold off on the propecia after reading that my dick could potentially fall off (over exaggeration I know). I started up on the 2% nizoral using it about 3 times a week and loved it after it made my hair much thicker after use. I also felt like I was shedding less whether that be true or not. I started to get the nizoral burn as they call it an decided to cut down a bit to 1-2 times a week after about a month. I also started to look into more natural methods of lowering my DHT instead of finasteride and started taking Pumpkin Seed Oil, Nettle Root, and off and on Saw Palmetto. I also came across a natural shampoo at the Nutrition House called Herbal Glo: Fine/Thinning Hair and from what I read on the bottle it was a solid natural shampoo to have. I also came across Regenepure Dr and NT online and ordered those optimistically presuming my problems would be solved. I felt like I shed a lot taking these shampoos but still gave the Dr a shot using it about 1-2 times a week for some time (Dropped NT after a couple uses).

I stayed on the Herbal Glo pretty much all the way through until I ran out mid summer of 2013 and stopped the Nizoral and just used Regenepure DR once a week. I felt like I was maintaining okay but was still obsessively checking my hair to see if I was shedding or thinning. I ran into some personal issues in my life about mid summer 2013 and was under a lot of stress. So much so that I didn't even give a **** about my hair for the first time in 2 years. I cant remember my exact routine the last two months of summer but around the fall-time/winter I wasn't taking any keto shampoo and decided to switch to Dove's Zinc Pyrithione 2x a week and Down Under's Naturals Shampoo on the other days. I started taking 1 vitamin D pill a day (1000 IU) along with Pumpkin Seed Oil, Nettle and ZMA. It was ok for hair appearance but my scalp was constantly itchy and flaky. I felt like I could always scratch my scalp and get a nice clump of sebum on my nails. I don't know why I didn't change things up I guess I was lazy and depressed.

Start of 2014 I decided to change up my routine. I got my old Herbal Glo Shampoo going again and started up on Lipogaine Big 3 Shampoo instead of the Regenepure (Basically the same but I felt like there was less shed and it made my hair look better). I used this once a week and Nizoral 2% once a week. It was working well but I noticed that my temples were often itchy and scaly and inflamed and other parts of my head as well. My hair was looking decent though and my shedding was average. Around late May- early June I decided to at some more supplements to my regime. I ordered Pygeum and got a vitamin B Complex going. So I was now taking: Pumpking Seed Oil, Stinging Nettle, Pygeum Saw Palmetto (started about 160 mg a day around March but increased dose to 500 mg around this time), Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin D, ZMA (zinc magnesium B6) and Gingko Biloba. Around this time I've noticed an increased amount of shedding which is starting to freak me out. I decided to witch from Lipogaine to Regenpure because I figured it would be better for my scalp. I'm pretty sure it was the first day after but I had 50 hairs on my pillow the next day (usually its about 6-10). Although the days before I had increasing amounts and had about 30 before the 50 day shed. Keep in mind these are pillow hairs, I'm still shedding around 20 in the shower (at least) so I'm definitely losing over 100 hairs a day.

Right now I'm thinking of starting the Propecia but I'm reading heavily into the sexual side effects and hair sheds and I don't even know what to think. I'm taking a cautious optimistic approach to this hair loss considering I'm avoiding the minoxidil and Propecia so I know I'm not doing EVERYTHING in my power but holy **** am I trying. I'm reading into the nofap threads and considering giving up the :jackit: and boy do I love the :jackit:. I'll attach some current photos of the vertex and hairline (I'm pretty sure I'm a diffuse thinner because my hairline is fine just thins on top). If anyone took the time to read all that **** I appreciate it and any advice or input would be appreciated.

vertex2.jpghairside2.jpghairside.jpg

Notes: I have a solid healthy diet and exercise regularly (heavy weights, no cardio recently due to being depressed).

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
There will be no difference whether you lower your DHT through "natural" meds or finasteride, its the same thing, you are inhibiting DHT... same end results. The only difference is these natural meds don't inhibit nearly as much as a standard finasteride dose and are pretty much useless. The fact that you are buying into nofap also shows you are delusional

start finasteride 1mg or 1.25mg daily. Lifting weights and eating right is good but it doesn't matter when it comes to your hair

kpat

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hairline doesn't look bad to me, but I can't really tell because of the lack of contex clues in the pictures. Your vertex does not look like it's balding.