25yo at a crossroad. Unsure what to do.

FullMetalGear

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am 25 years old and have been experiencing gradual hair loss since age 20. I didn't become concerned about it much until about age 23 at which point I decided to seek help. I heard negative things about products like Rogaine and Propecia and so decided to start with the HairMax LaserComb, Nizoral Shampoo, and supplements (biotin and saw palmetto). I followed this regimen for 6 months and then became fed up with it because I was not seeing results. I stopped all treatment.

A little while later I decided to give Rogaine a chance and purchased a 4 month supply. I have been using it for 3 months now in conjunction with Nizoral but haven't noticed much of an improvement. However I plan on sticking to it for at least another 5 months to see if there is any benefit. If anyone knows how to obtain the 5% Rogaine foam in Canada, please let me know. Only the 3% dropper stuff is available in-store in Canada.

I have posted a couple pictures below showing my current hair loss. I am hoping to get some opinions on what my next steps should be. I am considering starting on Propecia and am also looking at the possibility of getting a hair transplant. Here are some of the questions going through my mind.

1. Should I start taking Propecia despite the possibility of crippling negative side effects?
2. Is using Rogaine without Propecia a futile effort? Am I wasting my time?
3. Is hair transplant a viable option for me at this age and my stage of hair loss?
4. Should I get a hair transplant instead of starting Propecia (this would avoid any of the potential side effects of Propecia)
5. Should I begin using the HairMax laser comb and taking vitamin supplements again or are these methods not going to make much of a difference?

I am also a bit confused as to where I currently fall on the Norwood scale. I think maybe a 4 but I'm not sure. I am experiencing "diffuse thinning" on the top of my head and then a more pronounced hair loss on my crown - none of the classifications seem to show this.

Any advice would be SO APPRECIATED. Thank you for reading this.

Attachments

• IMG_2298.jpg
    IMG_2298.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2306 copy.jpg
    IMG_2306 copy.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 241

Jman_twoFUT

Reaction score
dude - KEEP on that Minoxidil and start Finasteride AS WELL. This will stop any further loss right away. (FYI Propecia is just a brand name of Finasteride - and you can get a no-name/generic Finasteride now for very low cost).

A hair transplant will definitely improve things, BUT remember
1. You will still need to keep on the drugs. If you don't, the transplanted hairs will stay strong, but the original hairs around it will continue to go slowly.... resulting in the need for a second transplant... like I have just had! You are only 25 - so this is very likely I would say. (hint - get on the Finasteride NOW)
2. After a transplant (FUT or FUE) most people will suffer "shock loss" where you actually temporarily lose hair at the donor and recipient area... It all grows back and with a vengeance when the transplants start growing... but yep, you will actually look WORSE for the first 3-6 months.

I would get on the two drugs (forget the laser comb... seriously) - take photos and monitor progress over a year. The waiting game sucks *** - but you have a wait even if you go the surgery route. Looking at your hair, you are at least being proactive. Your hairline is good and there is plenty of hair there to work with.
As for surgery, talk to a surgeon - I reckon you would be a good FUE candidate.

Sorry if that was a bit of a wordy response!

PS. Tip for Finasteride.
I was recommended 1mg/day of Finasteride so I actually buy generic 5mg finasteride and cut the tablets in quarters and take one per day :) This was recommended by my surgeon - costs me about $15 per month (Aussie). Some of the drug prices on this forum are outRAGEOUS. At the very least, using minoxidil AND Finasteride will stop your hair loss in its tracks - and will very likely improve things.
PPS. I have had no side effects whatsoever - all I can say is try it. If you have side effects, stop, and try one of the alternatives.