26, probably about 3V or so, is it too late to start taking Propecia?

theguy87

Reaction score
I am 26 yrs old, started losing my hair probably around 20 or so. For the first couple years I didn't really even notice it, only in hindsight is it obvious I probably could have started sooner. I have had a couple times where I would use Rogaine, first couple I didn't really stick with it long enough but most recent I didn't think it was working until I stopped using and had a pretty bad shed, I am back using that now (CVS brand currently but there didn't seem to be any ingredient difference). Was wondering if its too late to try to use Propecia or Finasteride? I've seen some bad stories on here about the side effects but a little lurking tells me its pretty rare and that if i notice anything I can just stop taking and it will reverse itself. I think I would be a good responder based on what people say in the research section since I have a pretty high amt of body hair as well and that suggests high sensitivity to DHT. I just don't want to waste my time/money if it is already too late to do anything about. Also, should I use the Nizoral shampoo, I've seen people say that Ketocozole is effective when used with Rogaine. Seems like outside of the 3 I mentioned above everything else is basically bull that ppl try to pawn on me.. so what would everyone think? Should I just accept my fate and use Rogaine to hold out a little longer since I know that is effective for me, or would propecia actually help out even now?

Edit* pics are in my profile only album I have uploaded, i added the links to them in another post but it is awaiting moderator approval

theguy87

Reaction score
Hey I can understand if this has been asked alot.. if noone can help or this has been answered I would at least appreciate being pointed in the correct direction on the forum, like i said i have lurked on here before so I have some idea

theguy87

Reaction score
Ok I am attaching some photo's.. note that I only have an iphone 4 so its probably not amazing quality. Here are the pics (I uploaded to my profile)
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/attachment.php?attachmentid=24114&d=1393188976
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/attachment.php?attachmentid=24118&d=1393189030
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/attachment.php?attachmentid=24117&d=1393189018
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/attachment.php?attachmentid=24116&d=1393189010
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/attachment.php?attachmentid=24115&d=1393188996

Let me know you think. Note that I have previously used Rogaine to good success and am using it now as well, havent yet finished 1 bottle mostly twice a day (except when things happen and I can't get it but pretty much twice) on the hairline and crown, but this is the closest to baseline I will get. Has been in use long so should be decent idea.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should get on propecia imo, but have realistic expectations of what it will do for you. I think the big three will make significant difference in the amount of h$$air you have. The fact that youhave high body hair means you may have high testosterone, which may mean you are less likely to suffer adverse side effects of finasteride, which are rare.

As fr whether you will achieve a cosmetically good head of hair that doesn't look balding... I'm sorry but I have my doubts. But maybe if you also use nanogen or toppik or if you get a a hair transplant after a year or two and when things have improved. Best of luck, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

theguy87

Reaction score
yea honestly I think a hair transplant would be down the road if I do at all, they are pretty expensive but from what the experienced/knowledgeable posters have stated to others is you should wait until about ~30 and after at least a year of finasteride to see if I have no sides, since without finasteride you will have the hair transplant fall out in a weird pattern and quite frankly would rather be slick than have patchy odd growth.

For expectations, I'm pretty ok with a somewhat balding look, quite frankly women found me more attractive with a somewhat receded line than with juvenile line I think it made me look more like a man and I actually liked it, which is probably why I never bothered to look into finasteride/rogaine until recently when obviously from the pictures you saw it is pretty clear I have lost a lot. I would really like the crown and the current line to fill in, I'm not so concerned with temples I wouldn't mind the widows peak or NW2/3 type look (thats pie in the sky for me I'm sure). Really would like the crown to fill back to something where I don't have to get low buzzes, thats hopefully more realistic? I don't know if you can tell from the pictures but none of the crown is slick yet when I run my fingers across the back I can still feel a decent amount of hair it just doesn't look good at all lol.

really don't look too bad with the buzz I usually get complimented on it but man it just kills me to see it all go, especially since I know I was responding well to minoxidil based on what happened when I quit it. Where does one go to get Toppik in America? Can I just go to a local pharmacy/Walmart type place, I don't recall seeing it but then again I wasn't looking :/. I figure I'll make an appointment with a dermatolagist in the coming days and see what he/she thinks of me getting a finasteride prescription.

Reaction score
Hey OP I'm about the same Norwood as you and just ordered som finasteride from inhouse. Did you go on it? If so how much, how often, any sides ?
Thanks so much

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
I am about 10 years older than you are. Started finasteride about 9 months ago and have had some pretty good regrowth. My baseline pics were a little better than yours, but not by much. I have also been losing hair since I was about 22. It is definitely worth a try.