27 and worried about my hair

bodnator

Reaction score
Hi,

Here's my story. I'm 27 (turning 28 in October) and I've had a receeding hairline for many years, probably since I was in high school or even before that.

In the past few months I've noticed some hairloss and I'm starting to wonder if I'm balding or suffering from male pattern baldness. My maternal grandfather is bald and as far as I know he's the only one in the family to be so.

The past few months have been kind of hectic and a bit stressful, and I don't really know if this has affected my health in any way. I burnt my head in late June while vacationing, I've had my fair share of problems with my current girlfriend -it's all been solved by now- and I quit my job in the summer to start my own company in September for the first time in my life.

- The hairloss is not extreme: 5-10 hairs when showering or when I get up from bed, but I don't really recall experiencing this before.

- I've had a big forehead and receeding hairline for many years; although it might be more pronounced now than 4 years ago, it's not something very noticeable. Or at least I don't think so and my girlfriend agrees.

I've attached some photos so you guys can take a look. My mum works at a pharmacy and she gave me Minoxidil 5% today, but I'd rather wait until October 7th to make a decision. I have an appointment then with a dermatologist.

What do you guys think? Does it look really bad? Sorry for the quality of the photos! :)

EDIT: FYI, I cut my hair short in early August and it's always grown pretty fast, this time included.

Attachments

• image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 274
  • image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 215
  • Captura de pantalla 2014-09-15 a la(s) 18.08.24.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2014-09-15 a la(s) 18.08.24.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 236
  • Captura de pantalla 2014-09-15 a la(s) 18.08.10.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2014-09-15 a la(s) 18.08.10.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Captura de pantalla 2014-09-15 a la(s) 18.07.47.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2014-09-15 a la(s) 18.07.47.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 226
  • Captura de pantalla 2014-09-15 a la(s) 18.07.15.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2014-09-15 a la(s) 18.07.15.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 241
  • Captura de pantalla 2014-09-15 a la(s) 18.06.41.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2014-09-15 a la(s) 18.06.41.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 221
  • Captura de pantalla 2014-09-15 a la(s) 18.06.10.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2014-09-15 a la(s) 18.06.10.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 219

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
This is male pattern baldness. Welcome aboard.
It doesn't look very good, you should ask your derm for finasteride.

knox777

Reaction score
I'd say its not bad at all for a 27 year old, but certainly looks like male pattern baldness. I'd let some members with more experience add their thoughts in though.
Regards.

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment!

What do you mean with 'it doesn't look very good'? Thanks!
That you should't waste more time before starting a treatment, it doesn't look very bad either :p

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
start finasteride

I don't think for your particular case that taking minoxidil in combo with finasteride will give you much better resuts

start nizoral shampoo twice weekly (it will ruin your hair if you use it daily or almost daily) if you want too but that isn't very important

bodnator

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

I have an appointment with a derm in 3 weeks (Oct 7). Is that too much of a wait?

Also, why minoxidil is not recommended?

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep, sorry to say looks like male pattern baldness... finasteride should be your first choice as this battles the underlying cause Dht then once you have given finasteride at least a year you could think about minoxidil.. no point starting if you dont actually need it and it can also be a bit of a pain to apply 2x daily.. popping a pill is easy

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is exactly my kind of hair loss and similar age. Except my hairline a touch further back round the temples. Also I have a prominent forehead too :ninja: Comb my hair down now.

Reason Minoxidil won't work well is the type of loss you have is like mine. Bald areas on the side. Minoxidil can only work where there is hair. Also finasteride is better for preventing further hair loss so get on that.

If you want hair at the front, only a transplant can help.

Good luck.