27 y/o. 3 months Minoxidil on hairline with growth. Need help selecting DHT blocker

xtos

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Ive been reading the forums for a while now and i thought it was time to post.
Im 27 years old and at the early onset of male pattern baldness as confirmed by a dermatologist,
My hairline has thinned a little and receaded slightly over the last 6 months and it was only 2.5 months ago that i decided to do something about it.
Ive been on Minoxidil 5% twice a day and Nizoral 2-3 times a week but ive not used any DHT blockers during this time as the sides scare me off.
My dermatologist has assured me that taking finasteride is a very safe drug with small amounts of people effected by its sides, but a few minutes spent reading the effects of its sides on the net have put me off completely.
My frustration lies with the fact that the Minoxidill has actually started to grow back a lot of my hairline in the receaded areas which im exstatic about, BUT my hairline is still continueing to receade. I beleive this can be solved by adding a DHT blocker into my regimen to halt the progression of the recession.
Im thinking about starting the revivogen therapy (as it has no sides and supposedly does the same job as finasteride) in conjunction with the Minoxidil twice a day. The plan is to use Minoxidil in the morning and then again in the afternoon followed by Revivogen just before i go to sleep. (Is this OK?)
Growing my hairline back whilst continueing to receade has been extremely frustrating but hopefully Revivogen will stop it in its track. How long before the DHT blocker begins to halt male pattern baldness? Is it immedietely?
I have a question regarding finasteride, if somebody can help it would be greatly appreciated. Ive read reports that about 3-5% of users experience side effects. Does that mean that 97% of people who take the drug experience absolutely NOTHING? or everybody experiences some sides effects but the 3-5% experience SERIOUS side effects?
Thanks

Da Crow

Established Member
Reaction score
Here, make this simple for yourself.

You want to block dht?

1 - oral
2 - topical

1 consists of things such as finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto and other various herbs.

2 consists of different oils, spironolactone, nizoral shampoo, lipogaine (which contains minoxidil plus dht inhibitor), revivogen.

1s will yield you better results, and finasteride has the lowest chance for side effects, I'm on it 3 months now and if anything I am healthier lol, but the first 2 weeks i did experience the watery semen effect, but this reverted to how it was. I started with something called hairomega prior to finasteride, which is a multivitamin with dht inhibiting herbs. Type in dht on amazon.

2s will still work, and if a little dht inhibition is all you need, these will do just fine.

I think if anyone gets on finasteride, its probably best to get a blood test, because if you're dht isn't even high, then you would need a lower dose. People get side effects when they're dht gets too low I'm sure, you still need some.

xtos

Reaction score
Thanks for your response DaCrow,

I think your option 1 is what most of us want but were all scared of the sides, oh well,
Ive ordered topical Revivogen today and intend to start that right away adding it to my minoxidil and Nizoral regimen,
I intend to apply the Revivogen to the hairline where im visibly receading and im hopeful it'll slow it down but im still shedding hair all over (within normal daily range i think or maybe slightly more). As Ill be applying the Revivogen only to the hairline and not the rest of my head, it wont stop the rest of my heads hair from falling out. Correct? Or does the Revivogen spread around your head and inhibit the DHT all around your head?
Is it worth starting finasteride in conjunction with Revivogen but only .25mg EOD as a precautionary measure to stop any furthur loss in areas where the Reviogen isnt being applied?
Will it be dangerous using revivogen every day and finasteride .25mg EOD?

So my regimen will consist of;
Monoxidil in the morning
Minoxidil in the afternoon
Topical Revivogen before bed (at least 4 hours post Minoxidil)
and .25mg of finasteride EOD

What do you guys think?

Cheers.

Da Crow

Established Member
Reaction score
The nizoral will obviously help your whole head, but if your loss is just your hairline then the dht hasn't built up enough so your revivogen application is fine.

I read a few accounts of individuals having success with low doses of finasteride and studies show only 10-15 percent less dht inhibition so I'd say go for it. There is no danger with using it in conjunction with finasteride, if anything just better or quicker results.

xtos

Reaction score
Hi guys,
An update. Firstly I've dropped Revivogen after using it for about a month because I felt that my hairline was continuing to thin and recede at a fast rate. I know I didn't give Revivogen a chance to prove itself but I felt like I needed something stronger and there was only left with one option. After much deliberation and sleepless nights (due to fear of side-effects I decided to jump onto the Propecia bad wagon. I've been taking Propecia as my DHT blocker for about 5 weeks now.

So my current regimen consists off:
1. Minoxidil 1ml morning and night, applying .5ml to each side of the receding hairline/temple
2. Propecia .5mg Every Morning
3. Nizoral once a week

I have no doubt that the Propecia will do its job but have the following issue with minoxidil.
As I've stated in earlier posts I've seen physical results from regrowth using minoxidil. But my hairline still continues to recede looking thin and weak. Its as though all the new hairs are for nothing because all the existing healthy looking hairs are falling out. Its like catch 22. Is it a case that minoxidil is doing me more harm than good? Now that I'm taking Propecia should I just maintain what I have and drop minoxidil altogether? Will this stop the Shedding / recession? Or should I keep going and the sh I've only been on minoxidil for 5 months but my hairline has never been worse (even with all the new hairs sprouting through). Might I add I have long hair. Is it better to cut my hair shorter does it have an effect on the hair follicle? Also what's the ideal amount of minoxidil to apply into the hairline. Ive been applying 1ml twice a day, is this too much? have I drowned my hairline with too much minoxidil?

I know my update is all over the place but any help will be greatly appreciated

Cheers.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Propecia will hopefully prevent any further hairloss, just use minoxidil to thicken up areas that propecia maintains. And keep using minoxidil as long as you want to maintain that thickness. Expect some reversal, but mainly just thickening of areas that are thin but still have hair, not regrowth on bald areas.

xtos

Reaction score
Thanks for your response GoldenMane,

I just find it astounding that there isnt something out there with 100% success rate in stopping and reversing male pattern baldness,

Id be happy to maintain what i have at the moment, hopefully propecia achieves this as the test case stated that all men who took Propecia had more hair than when they started the treatment. i jut want that damm hairline to stop thinning :)

JonnyKid

Reaction score
If I were you I would go see a dermatologist. Messing with propecia can mess with your hard ons and your testosterone levels.
I wouldnt use propecia but everyone is different. go see a Doctor!

- - - Updated - - -

If I were you I would go see a dermatologist. Messing with propecia can mess with your hard ons and your testosterone levels.

xtos

Reaction score

- - - Updated - - -

Hey mate I've seen the Dermatologist and thats where Propecia was prescribed from, He assured me that its a safe drug, took me 6 months to finally have the courage to take it. 6 weeks in no sides other than the first week or two suffered from the occasional ball ache, otherwise all clear so far.