28 year old diffuse thinning whats the possible cause

hairextreme

Reaction score
Hi there I'm a 29 year old male now and in the last 10 months I have suffered severe and fast hair shedding to the point that top of the scalp is showing clearly and overall the whole head has thinned including the back and sides, the hairline seems in tact and same as it was since the mature line developed since I was 19 but the diffuse is moving ever closer from the top to the hairline. In the last 3 weeks the shedding seems to have slowed and hair lost in the sink and shower seems to have stabilised but regrowth doesn't seem to be happening, before it all happened just say in middle of last year I had a full head of thick hair and its driving me mad, I have been suffering from a lot of stress due to personal problems and work related problems and I was wondering if this is chronic Telogen Effluvium? Now the shedding has slowed because before for like 5 months straight I was losing approx 300-400 hair a day but that seems to have gone down to about 150 in recent week, when I was shedding heavily it didn't appear to be miniaturized hair but now I see a few miniaturised hair grown and fallen but not all of them are, I want to know because hair is thinning all over scalp is it Telogen Effluvium or Androgenetic Alopecia and does CTE sometimes produce a few miniaturised hair. Ok now the thing is I also have thinning hair on my legs and pubic region could they be linked with CTE or Androgenetic Alopecia?

hairextreme

Reaction score
Me to. Let me know if you find something.

Well I still can't figure out how to upload photos, can anyone help? So how is the state of your hair now is it getting better? I heard CTE alone can't create bald areas only up to 50% hair loss in a certain area does anyone think that's true?

saintsfan92344

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going thru something similar, had a very traumatic event in may till july, lost 30lbs in a month, lost over 50% of my hair up top basically in 1.5 months, sides are thinner also, shedding can take place 2-4 months after the event stops, which was my timeline, then you have a resting phase which is generally 100 days before growth starts, if its telogen effluvium. I had a slowly receeding hairline before now its the whole top. did the standard blood test all was good. I am starting to treat it as male pattern baldness, going to just ride it out and give it 3-4 months. I am 2 months now since it started falling out, I figure another month before I see any growth optimistically

hairextreme

Reaction score
Does your scalp feel itchy or inflammed?

Well I do have itchy scalp sometimes and slight burning sometimes too BUT then its nothing out of the ordinary for me I think, and its rare that I do have itchy scalps maybe once or twice a month, its not persistent, any ideas why?

- - - Updated - - -

I am going thru something similar, had a very traumatic event in may till july, lost 30lbs in a month, lost over 50% of my hair up top basically in 1.5 months, sides are thinner also, shedding can take place 2-4 months after the event stops, which was my timeline, then you have a resting phase which is generally 100 days before growth starts, if its telogen effluvium. I had a slowly receeding hairline before now its the whole top. did the standard blood test all was good. I am starting to treat it as male pattern baldness, going to just ride it out and give it 3-4 months. I am 2 months now since it started falling out, I figure another month before I see any growth optimistically
Well do you have miniaturization? I seem to have gained a few more miniaturized hair but its evenly over the front, side and back of the head so I don't know, I heard CTE causes some miniaturization is that true?

jasperhobbs

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. I have been on Finasteride 1.25 about 10 years and have kept most of my hair except for receding temples. Hair loss seems to have lessened considerably the last week or so. I have taken an aggressive approach to get hair growing again which is. 1.25 finasteride, Minoxidil 5% foam twice a day. Alternate shampoos with Regenpure NT and DR and N2 shampoo. Just ordered 1.0 dermaroller. I am 52 years old. Jasper