28yo Starting dutasteride/minoxidil

ml87

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just starting this topic as a bit of a log to see how I progress on the dutasteride every 2nd day + minoxidil regime I've decided on to combat my temple recession.

I'm 28 and first noticed slight temple recession at 23 or so, it's been slowly but surely receding since then. I have noticed that in the past year or so my hairline has become slightly more 'broken' and features more shorter hairs. It's gotten to the point where if I want to present as non-bald into my 30s I can't really afford to lose much more, so I've decided I might as well try something since obviously hair>bald.

Luckily other than the recession my hair seems fine in terms of thickness etc, and I have no crown thinning to deal with so I can pretty easily cover the receded sections with hair.

Some genetic background, I'm Slavic/Spanish white. My father has a pretty good head of hair at 55, albeit slightly bit thin, and receded further than mine and grey, but v good for his age. My mother's father however is fully bald. My 27yo brother has no hair loss, so overall my genes should be 'decent'.

Pics below, I did a few annotations to give my best guess as to my 18yo hairline in black, and my hairline from 3-4yrs ago in green. I'm pretty sure I always had a pretty high forehead. My right temple seems to have receded more than my left significantly, not sure why this is, but I do sleep on my right side 99% of the time. The hairline on that side has always been a weird shape anyway. Hoping for a bit of regrowth ideally but if I manage to maintain this I'll be happy too!

Attachments

• left pulled back.jpg
    left pulled back.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 327
  • normal left.jpg
    normal left.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 301
  • right pulled back.jpg
    right pulled back.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 301

kenny-k

Established Member
Reaction score
For your hair I think dutasteride might be a bit overkill, my hair is completey demolished at 23 and I don't take dutasteride cuz it inhibits way too much DHT to be healthy imo.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Strange choice to go straight in the deep end with dutasteride when your hair looks in very good shape as it is. Propecia is the safer option for a first timer and has FDA approval as a hairloss treatment and decent safety profile.

ml87

Reaction score
I'm using dutasteride because I was given it by a friend who filled me in on it's basic properties, he has had success taking it so far for his diffuse thinning. As far as I can tell if I take it every few days it will be somewhat similar in net effect to a normal finasteride dose. I'll probably try to get finasteride after the pills I have run out.

If I end up with side effects I'll reconsider.

g.i joey

Reaction score
get finasteride man, dutasteride should only be a second line of fire if finasteride cant maintain/never worked for you. In the long run, it is wiser to take finasteride first to stretch out the amount of efficacy you could obtain from these meds.

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm using dutasteride because I was given it by a friend who filled me in on it's basic properties, he has had success taking it so far for his diffuse thinning. As far as I can tell if I take it every few days it will be somewhat similar in net effect to a normal finasteride dose. I'll probably try to get finasteride after the pills I have run out.

If I end up with side effects I'll reconsider.
You are right. If you take 0.5mg of dutasteride every 5 days or every week, it will be more or less the same as taking 1mg of finasteride a day.

Dutasteride is only stronger than finasteride if taken every day, otherwise it can even give you the possibility to lower less DHT than with finasteride, while maintaining a smooth DHT curve, by taking it once every 10 days or every fortnight for example.
On the other hand, if you take 1mg of finasteride, say, once a week, your DHT curve will go up and down like a yoyo, because finasteride has a half life of 8 hours compared to 4 weeks with dutasteride.

jbrog1987

Established Member
Reaction score
You are right. If you take 0.5mg of dutasteride every 5 days or every week, it will be more or less the same as taking 1mg of finasteride a day.

Dutasteride is only stronger than finasteride if taken every day, otherwise it can even give you the possibility to lower less DHT than with finasteride, while maintaining a smooth DHT curve, by taking it once every 10 days or every fortnight for example.
On the other hand, if you take 1mg of finasteride, say, once a week, your DHT curve will go up and down like a yoyo, because finasteride has a half life of 8 hours compared to 4 weeks with dutasteride.
What about supplementing finasteride intake with dutasteride twice (or maybe three days) a week?

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
What about supplementing finasteride intake with dutasteride twice (or maybe three days) a week?
That's overkilling it, some people claim they get better results by complementing their finasteride intake with 0.5mg of dutasteride a week, but in your case, 1mg of finasteride a day/every two days or 0.5-1mg of dutasteride a week should suffice.
You do not need to eliminate all the DHT in your body...

ml87

Reaction score
An update:
Never bothered to take minoxidil after I read that minoxidil-regrown hairs cannot be maintained unless you take minoxidil indefinitely, which is not something I can be bothered doing at the moment.
No obvious change to my hair (as far as I can tell), and have had no side effects from the dutasteride. I have been taking dutasteride 2.5x per week (.5mg doses).

3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

worrywart

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's overkilling it, some people claim they get better results by complementing their finasteride intake with 0.5mg of dutasteride a week, but in your case, 1mg of finasteride a day/every two days or 0.5-1mg of dutasteride a week should suffice.
You do not need to eliminate all the DHT in your body...

so you only take dutasteride twice a month?