29 yr old...long term minoxidil user. Now starting finasteride

yelp

Reaction score
Hi guys....first noticed hairloss a good 8-9 years ago. Started minoxidil 5% straight awway (2 x daily). Shed like absolute crazy initially. My sink use to completely fill up with hair. Around 4 months into minoxidil hair growth started and it was absolutely crazy how quickly the hair grew back. And it was thick! so i was very happy and basically forgot about hairloss and continued on with life. This worked great for around 3-4 years. Then when i was around 25ish i noticed my crown was slowly getting thinner and thinner. I started to go on finasteride (1mg per day) and within a 1-2 weeks my hairloss completely stopped. But i started reading internet forums and got freaked out about side effects etc so i stopped finasteride about a month in. Since then i've started and stopped finasteride numerous times and changed dosage. Whilst all that i've been losing ground with hair. My crown is very very thin and the diffuse hairloss has started spreading forwards. Big big mistake to not be consistent with finasteride! So i've finally decided to start a small dosage of finasteride (.25mg ED) be very strict with compliance of this dose and continue with minoxidil application (between 9-10 times per week). I'm going to keep a photo log and will update every6 weeks or so.
So i'm about 2.5 weeks into my new regime and i have noticed the hair on my pillow has dramatically decreased. Obviously very very early into the finasteride treatment. But the small finasteride dosage seems to be doing something. Will i get regrowth? only time will tell. Won't expect anything for 6-7 months at the very least.
For all the people out there scared of using minoxidil. It ABSOLUTELY works. I believe it's still working for me almost 10yrs on. It's just that my hair loss has started to progress. Really wish i had stuck to finasteride 4 yrs ago! Also - no side effects from finasteride to report as yet. Jizz a little watery but nothing too dramatic.

Attachments

• Start.jpg
    Start.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 254

kaosi

Established Member
Reaction score
u experience any sides from finasteride or u just scared if u can have them?

yelp

Reaction score
no mate - never experienced any sides. Which is why in hindsight i'm so p!ssed off that i stopped. I'm going to up my dosage of finasteride slowly. i'm thinking 3 months on .25mg-->then .5mg for 3 months-->.75mg for 3 months then finally 1mg by 1 yr mark.

Raz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Best of luck dude. I am 10 days into generic finasteride; started with 1.25mg pill-fourths from the get-go, no sides thus so far (apart from the occasional 15-45 min dull ball ache, but it's bearable and getting better all the time so far), but your approach might be good too! Will keep following your progress.

yelp

Reaction score
UPDATE - so been just over 2 months into propecia. I've increased by dosage from .25mg to .5mg ed for the last 3 weeks. I think i'm seeing some results? i've also increased by minoxidil dosage to about 9-10 doses per week strictly. So i'm not sure if it's the proprcia working (very early) or the slight increase in minoxidil dosage. The quality of my hair has defs improved. It just feels better. So i'm thinking propecia is doing something. What do you guys think.Progress 1.jpg

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
funny I have had no "problems" with finasteride, yet I'm very concerned about adding minoxidil (shedding, bloating, dark circles, etc.)