29M - finasteride and my side effects. Looking for options.

bwralston

Reaction score
Hi there,
You know the story. Thinning for years and lurking on the forums trying to gather as much information as possible before taking the medical leap. I've ingested my body weight in biotin and saw palmetto over the past 2 years but obviously nothing changed.

Backstory:
I've always had thin blonde hair so I really am not shocked by my hairloss. Most of the older family have receded hairlines and diffuse thinning so I knew I would have to eventually battle genetics. I've also always had oily skin and battled that (acne) with Accutane in my teen years. Learning how excess sebum in the scalp promotes hairloss makes a lot of sense in my case for exacerbating my losses. I have a very oily scalp still regardless of the treatments.

Three weeks (December 15') ago I took the first daily 1MG Finesteride pill (finpecia from Hairloss Generics) and started to feel testicular pain within the first 3 days. I had read many times about that numb throbbing feeling but I even chalked it up to wearing tight pants or bumping my balls into something.... I began to lower the dose to ween off and at 1MG x2 days a week I stopped experiencing that side effect and I continue that regimen with hopes of no further sides.

I have NOT started minoxidil as I was scared off by my finasteride side effects. Looking for support on my intention to add this.

I have been using Nizoral x3 a week for almost 6 months.

I have limited luck in cleansing my scalp with apple cider vinegar maybe once or twice a week. I read it and tried it and was pleasantly surprised how much oil it removed. But just like the best shampoos, the oil comes back and I see the shine once again!

Attached are photos in direct light and after a shower to show it as bad as it can be. I also buzzed my hair to really be able to visually see what happens with the regimen.

Here are photos with longer hair and buzzed:

buzzed_Dec.jpg / Buzzed Temple_Dec.jpg / 2015-12-14 19.28.54.jpg / 2015-12-14 19.29.23.jpg / 2015-12-14 19.29.29.jpg / 2015-12-14 19.28.52.jpg

Things I am interested in:
Adding Minoxidil
Getting a FUE hair transplant for the hairline
ACell + PRP Therapy.

Im also looking for recommendations for hair loss doctors in the Los Angeles area as I begin the research on medical procedures.

Any support you can offer is great and I will be back to check and update as often as necessary!

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
See how you get on with Finasteride for 6 months, if its going well than add Minoxidil for 3-6 months and see how you respond to that. If you're lucky that will thicken up everything and allow you to think about a FUE transplant for hairline, but at the moment I think its too diffuse all over for a hair transplant.