3 Weeks into finasteride, Shedding Already

Jayster

Reaction score
Im 3 weeks into taking 1.25mg finasteride daily. I know shedding can be normal, but is it normal within the first few weeks of treatment? Also, whats the best shampoo to use while taking finasteride?

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yes, but everyone is different some people shed and some dont. I started shedding after 3 weeks also. The majority of people shed after the first or second month i would say. I use Tgel shampoo and nizoral as it completelly eliminates dry scalp and protects my hair against fungal infections which can also cause hairloss.

Jayster

Reaction score
follicle84 said:
yes, but everyone is different some people shed and some dont. I started shedding after 3 weeks also. The majority of people shed after the first or second month i would say. I use Tgel shampoo and nizoral as it completelly eliminates dry scalp and protects my hair against fungal infections which can also cause hairloss.

Do you use both everyday? Also, what conditioner do you use?

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I use them on separate days, not together as that could be a waste. I use T-gel twice a week, it stinks but makes your scalp feel healthy. I use Nizoral 2% once a fortnight because it can be harsh on the scalp if used too much. It can fry your hair a little bit too and can cause slight shedding, so be carefull about how often you use it. I just use ordinary conditioner for my hair, nothing special.

tman7

Reaction score
Ive been on finasteride (1.25) for almost 3 months and have had very little shedding untill recently when I decided to use up some leftover minoxidil that I had used prior to starting finasteride. I noticed increased shedding right away - the following day. If I stop using it I see the shedding decrease, very strange. I think the finasteride is working and the minoxidil just speeds up the regrowth process causing an increase in shedding. I imagine if I used both everyday I would see a massive increase in shedding as well as quicker thickening or regrowth of my hair. Im hoping to see both but time will tell.