30 yr old male - Telogen Effluvium? male pattern baldness? Both?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am 30 yrs old and am quite worried about what I am noticing with my hair these days.
Quick backstory on my situation. really like to hear your thoughts on this.
  1. I have always had very fine soft and straight hair since I was teenager, this has not changed I still do today
  2. As far as genetics go, my dad has a full head of hair at 60 but my moms side mostly suffer from male pattern baldness. some of the women also have had balding issues
  3. 3 years ago i went through severe work related stress and saw a lot of sudden shedding, I would comb my hair over the sink and could count 70 to 80 hairs falling down - this however stopped happening and then my hair grew back some. Overall it is still much less thick than in my early 20s now
  4. As far as my frontal hairline goes, no one can tell, people think I have a lot of hair, if i pull it back however it looks like it is receding at the temples. ie. it looks like a "Z". the thing is though, my hairline has always been like this as far as I can remember. The front hairline above my eyes seems perfectly ok
  5. Now end of last year I was diagnosed with clinical depression and had to take a bunch of anti depressants to get out of it. I stopped taking these meds in Jan of this year. In the last 2 to 3 months I have seen excessive shedding of my hair that seems to be all over my scalp. I had hair randomly falling on my face and sticking to my phone after a conversation. it was pretty bad.
  6. But since hair is naturally thinner at the crown area, this is where it has become most obvious.

Attached are two pics. the first shows my whorl and it has gotten a lot thinner in the last few months. The second pic shows u how it looks if i part my hair in the vertex area of my head. it quite frankly scared the cr@p out of me.

The thinning has slowed down a lot in the last few weeks. What do you think?
  1. Is this male pattern baldness or stress induced Telogen Effluvium?
  2. If its male pattern baldness what Norwood am I? my temples are like "Z" but front is full of hair
  3. If it is male pattern baldness is it possible for someone to stay in the same level on the scale for long periods of time naturally? Without meds? or is the downfall linear or comes in phases that are unpredictable?

Thank you v much for taking the time to read, any responses will be greatly appreciated!

DSC_6337.jpgDSC_6338.jpg

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Post placed in moderation, approved, Bump.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi! have you talked to your doctor about it? your crown doesn't look bad at all but if you feel that it's gotten worse, then mabye you are right because you know your hair better than anyone else. Can you post some pictures of your hairline? (though you said your hairline looks okay)

1. sorry but have no idea if its male pattern baldness or stress related..you really need to go see a dermatologist!
2. your hair looks really good but to determine what Norwood you are, you need to post your pulled back frontal hair I think?
3. there is no way to tell how your hair will go from now ......