31y, NW5 - hair piece + lots of sports/sweating? fast attachment? ... and more

John Lennon

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm a 31-year-old musician from Europe. My actual name, however, ain't John Lennon, but you can still call me John, I suppose ;)

I wear hair, long stlye and have some special problems with it. But before I get to my current problem (see below), I'd like to introduce myself to the community by giving some background on...

...my hairloss history:

I started realizing my hair thinning at the age of 18. After informing myself about Propecia, back in 2000, I went to 3 different doctors, but each of them refused to prescribe me that Finasterid treatment that I asked for. They said, there is currently no way of stopping male pattern baldness and that the only thing I could do is go and ACCEPT that nature might turn me into a balding man, as time goes by.

So, after those 3 attemps of getting finasteride, I sadly tried to get along with the idea of having thin and thinner hair for the rest of my days. My main problem is the crown area where balding went really fast. First, I tried to cover the balding area by some comb-over, later I decided to go for a shorter/medium style, looked even worse. Then I buzz-cut it to 9mm, later on the 6mm... that was absolutely not my style, and it made me very sad because long hair had always meant a lot to my lifestlye. As an adolescent, I had always wanted to grow long hair, but my parents were VERY strict and very old-fashioned, and they bullied me, each time my hair grew a bit longer. Turning 18, finally, I wanted to start them to grow, but then they were vanishing rapidly.

After trying to identify myself with the buzz-cut and a bald crown (dark hair, btw), my Norwood status would reach NW5 at the age of 26, I gave up hope and the short-hair SH*T, let my sides grow (wearing a cap to hide to balding rest for a while) and when sides and back were long enough, I started wearing a hair piece, which I've been ordering from Toplace ever since. (advise on alternative vendors welcome)

At first, this was a great change to the better: The long, full head of hair suits me very well :) I had a good learning curve on attachment, removal, cleaning. After some years, however, my sides and back started thinning dramatically, which did not stop to the present day. Thus, although wearing a long, slightly curled hairstyle of 11 to 12 inches, my hair would look odd when the wind would blow up the hairpiece hair and reveals my own thinning hair underneath. But also other problems appeared, here we go:

Current problems:
After 5 years of wearing hair, I'm becoming a little sick of the disadvantages:

1. When I was younger, I was an athlete: especially running, but also soccer, tennis, gym. Those days, I felt GREAT in my body, because I LOVE doing sports until I'm exhausted. I really wish to run 10+ miles a day again, as running was the sport I loved the most. I think I was quite healthy those days, and full of power, ideas and success in many fields of life. When balding set in, things changed quickly, and since I started wearing a hairpiece, I've hardly done ANY sports - making me become a couch potatoe, gaining weight, looking and feeling unhealthy!!
The thing is that my hair wearing periods are about 5-6 days in a row and I absolutely dislike sweating when I wear my hair piece because the tape that I'm using (and it's even the best I found through all the years), breaks down quicker, things become a little gooey, and when showering after exercising, I don't feel that "fresh and clean" like without wearing hair. Know what I mean?

2. Actually, I'm that kind of "Mother Nature's Son", skipping through the fields, grabbing my tent and backpack, calling some friends and go backcountry camping in the hills, having a fresh swim in lake nearby :) Reality for me rather looks like this: Taking an extra-bag with me on vacation, with all kinds of hair piece accesoires, starting from special shampoo, conditioner, tape, glue, scissors, mirror, lace remover, shaver, cleaning cloth and so on. In addition, before I start on any trip, I have to make clear if there is some kind of sanitary facilities nearby, where I could adjourn to for me removal-cleaning-attachment routines.

THAT IS SO ANNOYING!! Feels absolutely unfree :(
And the entire hair loss thing could (probably) have been avoided, if only one of the doctors had listened to my suggestion and let me at least TRY finasteride! :( Hairloss has - among other incidents - done me a lot of emotional harm during the past 13 years.

Okay, so now I'm wondering, which options I have left.
As I don't want to be bald forever, I finally started some topical treatment, but wearing hair 5 days in a row makes this impossible. So, if I want to continue applying Minoxidile and Ketoconazol daily (maybe plus RU or progesteron), I'll have to go for daily removal.

This could mean, I get up in the morning, have a first topical treatment, let it dry (two hours??) then attach my hair system, go to work, meet some friends, do my stuff... and in the evening when I get home, I remove the hair system, have my second topical routine and spent the rest of my night alone... doesn't sound so nice me :( Very strict timetable and not spontaneous at all. What if, in the evenings (just after removal) some friends call me to come to some party or so?!

I'm already annoyed by all those hairpiece attachment stuff, and doing this daily, or even twice a day?? would make me mad, I guess.

PLUS: I'm still an athlete in my heart, and my body LONGS for doing sports, sports, sports! I wanna have that sweat running down my face, wanna get in shape again, feeling life in every muscle cell and "should be sleeping like a log" at the end of the day.

Those two wishes (having a great hairpiece, plus complete felxibility in sports and travelling) seem so contradicting.
But I still want both! :(

Any idea? Should I shave my complete head and go for a full cap, plus a new removal/attachment method, which won't take me 45 to 60 minutes (including shaving and showering). Some guy in another forum suggested I should try got2be glued. Maybe this will help that routine.

So I might shave my 12 inches long sides and back (they are beautiful dark curls) and go for a full cap?

Maybe leading a dual life? Being completely bald when going to the gym, but wearing my full cap when working and meeting folks?

Oh, before I forget it: As I said at the beginning of this post, I'm a musician. Well, now I'm not a celebrity ;) but I have a regional fanbase of nearly 1000 people. On stage, I identify completely with my long-haired version. And people know me like that and it goes together so perfectly. So I can't appear bald on stage from one day to another.

But, what if I go to the local gym, and someone might "recognize" me??? Oh dear, this is getting complicated :/

I sometimes think about have a "coming out" as a hair wearer. Once, things are officially known, you can't be busted anymore. Some people might react strangely, but I guess, after some days, there will lose interest and find more exciting news. I mean, what is so silly about saying: "Yes, I do wear hair. I started balding very early and I didn't like it. I think I look better with hair."

Okay, this was a long introduction of myself. I finally want to break it down to my most urgent questions:

1. Which method for REALLY FAST attachment? One that wouldn't make removal and attachment a big "item of my daily agenda", but rather be a little thing like brushing my teeth.

2. Hair piece: Stay with topper or go for a full cap?

3. How will I solve the issues with extensively doing sports and travelling/backpacking on a camping tour?

Thanks for this forum and for your patience of reading this long article.

theguy87

Reaction score
This isn't meant to be judgemental.. but this is why I could never wear a hairpiece. I can't imagine having to worry about all of this day-to-day. Worrying about sweat ruining the glue, having to spend an hour cleaning and resetting it, having that weird feeling on your head of unwashedness even after I get out of the shower. And most of all, the dread of getting found out. Some people might have suspected or confirmed it by now and may not have told you, I don't know about that I don't know how great your piece is. It sucks that society at large doesn't seem to be keen on accepting hairpiece wearers, but thats how it is and I don't think I could deal with it. That being said, maybe the best thing is to just tell everyone? I mean everyone knows William Shatner wears one, and that Sean Connery did during the Bond films and noone seems to give a crap, maybe you just tell everyone and they'll be cool with it? Then you won't have to worry about all this stuff and that would probably make your life better and less stressful.

Cob984

Established Member
Reaction score
stop talking trash, noone has suspected anything. while the other issues exist like the maintenance modern systems are undetectable to sight

John Lennon

Reaction score
hello theguy87,
thank you for your input. Well, concerning being busted, I'm pretty sure that most (no, I think all) of the people I get to know could never tell that I'm wearing a hair piece. But that is only because I'm spending a great effort to make it look as natural as can be. Those who knew me before, either KNOW what's going on, or they suspect that I had a transplant or found some pill that cured my baldness - like commercials show that there are easy ways today ;)

Speaking of celebrities like William Shatner or others, I see things differently: I think tabloits and trashy TV shows keep making (bad) jokes (on a poor level) on it. Those jokes and comments are lame and always the same, but people keep making those silly comments because that is what the audience wants to laugh about. I could regard it as a person challange to cope with it, grow with it, not letting someone bullying and intimidating me by making those silly remarks. The bad thing, however, is that, through the past years, I suffered some other setbacks in my personal life, so I've become a very insecure person anyway who feels like a loser :/ I'm still wondering...