33 y/o with receding hairline - former proscar user seeking advice

widows peak

Reaction score
Hello,
I joined this forum in 2002 or 2003 and enjoy seeing everyone's success stories and also feel that this board (in some aspects) has better information than the standard physician re: options for treating hairloss.

I started losing temple hair in 2001 as a senior in college at 21 years old. I immediately managed this simply by starting propecia. I regrew hair and switched to proscar around 2006 for financial benefit. I continued to take proscar 1.25 mg 1x/day until 2011. I stopped it in 1/2011 because of the "brain fog" and some of the reading from the board. I never had sexual side effects or other issues. I can say pretty confidently that the brain fog was real for me.

After 3.5 years being "off", I believe I am ready to restart, in some form. I have used Nioxin and Nizoral in the meantime (more for mental ease), but am ready to resume a routine. I have never used minoxidil in any form, but plan to with moving forwards.

I am seeking advice from the experts for the following questions:
1.) I realize everyone uses a different dosage and per day usage, but I would like to know the minimally effective dose / daily usage "for most"? i.e. 0.5 mg 1x/day versus 1 mg every other day.
2.) (all of #1 with the intent to minimize "brain fog".)
3.) Recommendations for minoxidil supplementation using foam as far as daily dosage.
4.) any other recommendations from the veterans of the board moving forwards.

Here are two pics - one taken in 2011 and one taken last week.

Thanks for all of your commentary!

-wp

Attachments

• Hair2.jpg
    Hair2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Hair1.jpg
    Hair1.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 169

Dark Link

Banned
Reaction score
When did your brain fog set in? Did it continue after quitting? Would you deny the possibility that it might have been psychosomatic from reading posts online? Technically .2 mg might be as effective as 1 mg. But I would just take the full 1 mg or 1.25 mg dose regardless because there shouldn't be much difference. There is no scientific symptom for brain fog. The closest thing we have is depression. IMO brain fog is related to anxiety. The anxiety is over your hair. And of course the fear mongering that people have given propecia a bad rep online with. Many of us pass very difficult examinations and have careers that require an astute mind while taking finasteride.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
serum DHT inhibition is almost exactly the same for finasteride regardless of what dose u use, if u take a fifth of milligram serum DHT will drop 61%, if you take 25 times that daily it will drop 68%, almost exactly the same. Taking less finasteride wont help with sides.

widows peak

Reaction score
Many of us pass very difficult examinations and have careers that require an astute mind while taking finasteride.

I think this is an asinine statement. I have a Masters degree. I did residency and fellowship. I work in the medical field with an "astute" mind everyday. I took all of the exams for my career while on finasteride. If you are insinuating anything else, I feel that is poor judgement on your part.

I appreciate your devil's advocacy, but brain fog was real to me and that is part of my history. Sure, there could be some psychosomatic effects, but stopping finasteride and getting moderate improvement in cognitive abilities, memory, quick thinking, etc was all I needed. I took no other medication during the time I was on Finasteride.

I have seen people on this board speak to less side effects with altering dosage and that is what I am most interested in knowing.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
there is no difference in sides with altering dosage, ever. If someone claims there is it is placebo effect. Serum DHT inhibition is exactly the same between doses

widows peak

Reaction score
there is no difference in sides with altering dosage, ever. If someone claims there is it is placebo effect. Serum DHT inhibition is exactly the same between doses

zzzzz - thanks for your response. I replied prior to reading your first reply. If you or any other vets have any supplemental advice based on history and photos, I would love to hear it.