33 Years Old. Started Balding At 26. Finally Got A Hair Piece One Year Ago....and....

How do you guys deal with a new woman trying to rub her hands through your hair system?

• Tell her that your wearing one from the start

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Don't tell her and make an excuse as to why she should not touch your hair. Ticklish etc

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Pay attention to where her hands are and pull them away when you notice them near your hair

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Jeff G

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Names Jeff out here in Seattle, WA. My entire life up to 25 years old I always had a full head of healthy black dense hair. At the 25 year mark I started noticing it thinning out. Mainly in showers after shampooing. Over time I started noticing my hair line receding in pictures. Then the dreaded bald spot on the top came. I call it the helicopter landing pad.

Anyways, long story short. I started wearing hats a lot like many others. Usually wore them backwards. Although I hated it when I couldn't wear hats like at a fine dining restaurant or similar.

I tried getting on medication, then topical special shampoos like Rogaine etc. Nothing worked. I then tried shaving myself bald using a razor. Can't say I liked the look at all. I just do not have a good shaped head for it. Plus you could still see the five o'clock shadow even when razored down to the scalp!

My father has worn a hair system for many years but only to cover up the bald spot. He purchases them himself and put it on/off himself. Although it does cover the bald spot I cannot say it looks the best as it just lays weird on him at times and the coloring is different them his normal hair.

I did some research and found this place called Apollo Hair Systems in Seattle. After puking at the price ($300/month) I decided to just do it. The package I purchased includes a new system every 6 weeks and they take it on/off clean it, hair coloring, haircuts etc. It's a high end membrane type system which is suppose to be best for front hair lines etc.

I've had the system for about one year now. Moving into my second year. Although I happier with the system then I was without, I still find myself WAY more confident when I wear a hat still. I still find myself self concsiouc when I do not wear a hat.

The things I like about my hair system...

1 - Package includes everything. No major maintenance on my part
2 - Pretty concealed
3 - Best option for hair restoration I have found to date

The things I DO NOT like about my hair system...

1 - I feel the hair lays weird. I keep it short as my normal hair was. But it just lays funny in my opinion
2 - Looks weird in the morning. The backside and sides flare up and looks goofy
3 - I notice the coloring does not always match my natural hair on my sides
4 - Each system every 6 weeks behaves differently
5 - Looks weird when swimming. Again just does not lay naturally.
6 - Gusts of wind make the sides and back flare up
7 - Always dread being intimate with a new girl. Especially if I notice her reaching for my hair a lot while kissing/sex etc. I usually just tell them I have sensitive scalp and please don't touch it.

Like I said, this hair system is the best option for me at this time. I may go in for a hair transplant consulation to just see what they have to say. I would pay anything to have a natural looking full head of hair again. I just wish they had it more down to an exact science. Even with these systems. They are good but still have issues.

I'll attach some pictures. Before and after. Early morning when everything is smashed up etc. Main thing I dislike it racing to the bathroom to flatten it down in the morning before the girl I brought home notices it.

Please tell me what you think. Does my front hairline look strange? I've tried blow drying it, using gels, hairsprays etc. I wish I could just continue wearing hats all the time but I just think it starts to look funny wearing them every time you hang with your friends or go out with a new girl. Wish I could get comfortable with it.

Thanks for reading!

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,000
  • IMG_0770.PNG
    IMG_0770.PNG
    591.4 KB · Views: 1,007
  • IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 964
  • IMG_0683.JPG
    IMG_0683.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 945
  • IMG_3406.png
    IMG_3406.png
    776.6 KB · Views: 1,050
  • IMG_2024.JPG
    IMG_2024.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 936
  • IMG_2187.JPG
    IMG_2187.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 949
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 933

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
That blonde in 3406 is a f*****g BAE.

The way I think about hair systems is this. 95% of the time they look fake as f***. Yours is in the bracket. However you also look substantially better with the hairpiece, whether or not it looks totally fake. You can always look for a better hairpiece, yours is certainly worse than usual but I don't think you'll get past the slight awkwardness.

Put it this way, you're still getting quality women and obviously confident enough to engage with them, it is only awkward when the hair is a focal point or during sex. A lot of guys with your balding level on these forums don't even bother TRYING to pull chicks anymore.

Would you rather a fake looking hairpiece which frames your face nicely and still increases your attractiveness, or to look totally bald? The better option in my opinion for you is finasteride and transplants, but that's a whole other story.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you guys deal with a new woman trying to rub her hands through your hair system?
  1. Tell her that your wearing one from the start
  2. Don't tell her and make an excuse as to why she should not touch your hair. Ticklish etc
  3. Pay attention to where her hands are and pull them away when you notice them near your hair
most depressing poll ive ever seen

some fine *** ladies there though. check the hair system section for advice on a better piece

Jeff G

My Regimen
Reaction score
That blonde in 3406 is a f*****g BAE.

The way I think about hair systems is this. 95% of the time they look fake as f***. Yours is in the bracket. However you also look substantially better with the hairpiece, whether or not it looks totally fake. You can always look for a better hairpiece, yours is certainly worse than usual but I don't think you'll get past the slight awkwardness.

Put it this way, you're still getting quality women and obviously confident enough to engage with them, it is only awkward when the hair is a focal point or during sex. A lot of guys with your balding level on these forums don't even bother TRYING to pull chicks anymore.

Would you rather a fake looking hairpiece which frames your face nicely and still increases your attractiveness, or to look totally bald? The better option in my opinion for you is finasteride and transplants, but that's a whole other story.

I appreciate the response and your input. Yes, I agree I would rather have a fake looking piece than be bald. I am almost 100% sure I would lack any type of confidence if I had to go the natural look and just be balding. I would be wearing hats everyday at that point.

Can I ask, what makes it look fake to you? Except the pictures of it flared up of course. My original hair (that I use to have) was black and very short as well. It would lay forward like my current system. I am actually going in today for my new system and crossing my fingers it's one I like.

I am starting to think maybe it's not the system that I dislike but maybe how the hair dresser it cutting it in. She's been cutting hair for 15 years and I feel she knows what she's doing. Although I know there are lots of hair dresser tricks that make a good haircut from a bad one.

The reason I went with a system was to get all my condolence back. I use to be on fire with women when I had a full head of natural hair. Never would of thought I would ever start thinning out.

I was sold on the idea these systems were indetectable visually and physically. Meaning you or a woman could run her hands through your hair for any angle and not notice. I guess I was wrong.

I have the money for transplants. You just read horror stories about them all the time and how each doctor is the not the same in terms of creating a natural look. Plus it seems transplants I have seen never are a full head of hair. It more just kinda fills in the balding spots some.

Again, I thank you for your response.

Jeff G

My Regimen
Reaction score
most depressing poll ive ever seen

some fine *** ladies there though. check the hair system section for advice on a better piece

Haha. Didn't mean to make a depressing pole. It's just the only really question or situation I dread every time when I bring a new girl home or start dating someone regularly.

I'll check out that section you mentioned.

Thanks

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Jeff

Your system looks natural and unremarkable (except for pic 0770, where it is all sticking up), and like most guys you definitely suit having hair.

I have been wearing for 4 years, and have been through the same issues myself. I started with a piece from a Hair Club-type salon. It looked good, and I was euphoric about getting my hair back, but it was an embarrassment in the dating context - very detectable to the touch, and the front hairline couldn't withstand close inspection. I used to get an ache in the belly whenever I was with a new girl, knowing that the issue of my hair would have to be ventilated at some point. I have found that the answer is to learn to do my own ordering and maintenance. The fact is that it is possible to get and fit a piece which is 99% undetectable to the touch, but it is not something you are ever going to get from a salon - you have to do it yourself. The upside is, it's not that difficult. Since I started wearing on a DIY basis (about 3 years now) I have never been busted as a wearer by a girl, and I am pretty active in the dating market. I have told 2 girls about my hair after knowing them a few months, and both have said they didn't suspect it wasn't all natural.

A number of features of your story are familiar to me from my salon days, and are an indication that you are not getting the best results you could. First, the fact you are getting a new system every 6 weeks suggests they are not great quality. Mine last me 5 months, and they could last longer, but I like to switch them out before they show any signs of deterioration. I never have to do any colouring in that 5 months, although I do use a sunscreen. The fact you are having to get colouring even within a 6 week lifespan suggests these are pretty low quality. Second, membrane (sometimes called 'skin') bases are not the best for hairlines. Salons seem to push skin type systems, but for most guys lace (mesh) bases give a better result especially at the hairline, and they have the additional benefit of being breathable, so much less sweaty if you are physically active. Thirdly the price: you can get an excellent quality hair system on-line for US$200 - I guarantee you far better quality than you are getting from Apollo. So even if you get a cut-in from a fancy salon, you are paying every month the price of a system which could last you 5 or 6 months. That is a lot to pay to avoid doing your own maintenance. But the most important point is this - if you think a hair system is the right solution for you, you may as well do it right - take control of your own system and your own look. No one cares what you look like and feel like as much as you do. For me, with my degree of hairloss, a transplant was never viable - I have too title donor and too much empty space - so it makes sense to commit wholeheartedly to a prosthetic solution.

I hope this doesn't sound too downbeat and preachy Jeff, it's not meant too. Kudos to you for taking hold of your hairloss problem with positive action, and as I said, the result is decent. But you could achieve an even better outcome for a fraction of the price if you were prepared to learn to do it on a DIY basis.

Noah

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think your system looks good bro. You're obviously raking in some quality looking girls with it.

Have your thought about taking propecia still to try and maintain as much of your native hair as possible so if in the future u decide you may want to have a transplant?

Jeff G

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think your system looks good bro. You're obviously raking in some quality looking girls with it.

Have your thought about taking propecia still to try and maintain as much of your native hair as possible so if in the future u decide you may want to have a transplant?

Thanks John. I appreciate your words of encouragement. I am starting to like it better I think. I just feel I need to make a little longer and be able to style it more. I may try finding a higher end hair stylist that can cut my system in ever few months when I get a new one.

I looked into Propecia but just do not feel comfortable with the side effects (erectile dysfunction) and health risks. I wish I had a full head of hair but not really happy about the increase cancer risk associated with the medications.[/QUOTE]

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
girls are amazing

prothesis looks fine and natural for me, mirin at social activities you attend with it

Jeff G

My Regimen
Reaction score
girls are amazing

prothesis looks fine and natural for me, mirin at social activities you attend with it
Thanks for commenting and for the reassurance. :)

I think I just haven't found the hair cut style I want yet but the overall hair system is good.

Xander94

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for commenting and for the reassurance. :)

I think I just haven't found the hair cut style I want yet but the overall hair system is good.
You go from baldcel to slayer. Congratulations.

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
DIY and get a different hair style with longer hair on top. Hair systems behave awkwardly when short and give that puffy look. I've seen three hair systems in person that looked flawless (3/3), so it's definitely possible. I just feel like salons are lazy.

CzEchsMiX86

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm moving up to Seattle soon and will be wearing for the first time. I've heard really good things about Wendy at Cheveux Design in Normandy Park. I'm planning on ordering online and having her do my cut ins. She also has access to some nice virgin hair systems. There's also a place called Chris' Collective Hair systems in Seattle. Both have been recommended and are definitely going to be cheaper than Apollo, especially if you order through one of the online vendors.
Good luck.

Señor AIDidaS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I usually pick up on unusual looking hair, but if I met you out in the world, I would not be able to tell. The system has good coverage, but not so much that it looks weird, and the hairline doesn't appear too uniform. I think it looks very nice.