33 yrs old - Considering hair transplant for thinning crown

SeekingHelp

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am seeking your help and advice for my current situation. I am 33 yrs old, and in the last few months noticed how much hair I am losing in my crown. I have been on 5% minoxidil foam for 2 months, and it looks about the same. I know they say any real results from topical minoxidil will not be present until 4-6 months of constant use so I am just sticking to the twice a day regimen for now. I'm too scared to try finasteride so there's that.

I have also began the initial research into a hair transplant. I had a consultation with a place in San Diego was told by a client services person that my crown has some light coverage which would not survive a transplant and basically after the 1 year period I would most likely be looking the same as I do now, with the transplant hairs replacing the native hairs due to shock loss. I then talked with a hair transplant doctor locally named Dr. Bradley Kurgis that seems to have a good reputation in the hair transplant community. However, he only does the FUT procedure and swears it is better than FUE. He is also a dermatologist and says the punching from FUE is not healthy for the scalp. I found one forum posts that was 10+ years old saying to avoid him because he was a former MHR doctor. But, he has had his own practice for almost 20 years and all other reports on him say that he's done a very good job on hair transplants. Dr Kurgis quoted me $3k for 1000 grafts via FUT. I also spoke with Dr. Marco Barusco of TempusHair in Florida, who has a new "no shave FUE" procedure and he quoted me 1200-1300 grafts between $8-10k to have my crown done via his procedure. He told me that he also does FUT and does agree that it can get better hair, and it was his primary method until recently when he developed this no shave FUE procedure. He also told me that he knows Dr. Kurgis personally and that I would be in good hands if I chose to have an FUT procedure with him. Both Dr Kurgis and Dr Barusco said shock loss varies from case to case.

So, here are my pics. I tried to show the thinning on the crown at a variety of angles, lengths, and lighting conditions. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

File Jun 04, 15 40 50.jpegFile Jun 04, 15 41 13.jpegFile Jun 04, 15 41 31.jpegFile Jun 04, 15 41 44.jpegFile Jun 04, 15 42 06.jpegFile Jun 04, 15 42 30.jpegFile Jun 04, 15 42 43.jpeg

M.G

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you need to try out finasteride for a about a year and see what results you get.

It will also help to prevent extensive shock loss from what I've read.

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
Save your grafts for down the road when you may (likely) need them for the front. IMHO, the crown is the LEAST important area as it is the hardest to improve and does the least to affect your overall appearance.

SeekingHelp

Reaction score
Save your grafts for down the road when you may (likely) need them for the front. IMHO, the crown is the LEAST important area as it is the hardest to improve and does the least to affect your overall appearance.

Thank you both for your comments. As I mentioned, I'm scared to try finasteride. Seems odd that I won't try finasteride but will consider a hair transplant haha. But I just don't want to deal with side effects and I'd rather just address the problem head on instead of trying to wake the follicles up with finasteride.

I have heard that the crown is hard to get a hair transplant to look natural on. As far as using grafts in the front down the road, my father has a bald spot on the back and just normal receding (like me) in the front. I am hoping that this is my hair loss pattern also and that is my reasoning for wanting to fill in the crown now. I would hope that I could do this procedure just one time and be content.

I know the front of my hair is a receded hairline which I've had since I went through puberty and I'm really not interested in doing anything to change that look, I have had some doctors say they want to lower my hairline and add to the temples but I think that is overboard for me. I just would like to not have a bald spot on the crown. What I liked about the 2 doctors I'm considering is that they didn't try to sell me more that I'm looking for, and said I had realistic expectations. As in, I'm not showing them a picture of some lush head of hair and then asking for that.