34, Diffuse Thinning, Is Hair Transplant Viable?

gixx3r

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m 34 and have been suffering from noticeable frontal diffuse thinning since my late 20’s. Before then I had thick wavy hair. As my recent pictures show, my hairline has not really vanished or receded, but it’s very diffused throughout. My crown, back, and sides are fairly thick.

I was always afraid to start finasteride due to sides but made the plunge last year as I was desperate. I’ve been taking 1mg brand name Proscar for little more than a year. No sides to report. I’ve not noticed any “growth” but I feel my scalp is healthier and my hair loss has stabilized a tiny bit. I’m not sure if its genuinely helping me, but with no sides I might as well continue taking it. I do not use Rogaine.

I’m strongly considering a hair transplant. My goal is to restore density to my hairline and temples, which I don’t think will happen just by using Proscar or Rogaine. I’ve been researching this topic for months and have met a handful of doctors. One doctor, who is part of the IAHRS and ISHRS in the US (same state where I live), advises against FUE for a first time hair transplant even though he does it and has the ARTAS robot. Instead he recommends a 2000 graft FUT strip procedure to restore my hairline and some density. Would that be enough? I am also worried about that linear scar and permanent shockless since I have frontal diffuse thinning.

Which leads me to this discussion board. I’ve read tons and tons of threads and each discussion teaches me something. That’s why I decided to post and do something about my hair loss once and for all. I keep telling myself that life is too short and I must take action now at the prime time of my life. Am I taking the right decision with a hair transplant? Will a 2000 graft FUT help me achieve my goal? If not, what would you recommend I do? Thanks in advance!
20190108_113137.jpg 20190108_113140.jpg 20181230_151032.jpg 20190108_113216.jpg

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it looks like you have good donor hair, so an FUT would make sense assuming you never plan to shave your head. 2000 is the low end i would do, I was thinking 2500 to 3000 based on the third photo. 3000 grafts roughly is enough to cover your hand.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You have a similar pattern to mine before I had my transplant 1.5 months ago, except to a lesser extent... and your hair quality seems stronger than my fine hair.
As Pequod said above, I had a FUT with a partial head shave. If your concern is diffuse thinning and the risk of transection with the surgery, welcome to my world! I think we just have to make sure we choose a reputable surgeon with good skills to work around the existing diffusely-thinned native hairs and hope for the best.
I have no idea how mine will turn out but feel free to see my pics on this thread which I will try to update monthly.
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/fut-with-dr-b-sanga-3567-grafts-today.119007/

Last edited: